Well i finally pulled the trigger...

ice fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Purchased one of the juvie bali regal angels from NYaquatics. I've been in love with this angel forever and the price was toooo good to pass up. it helps having a 14 day warranty on it to. I've heard good things about the regals from NYaquatics. Anyone have some good advice while QT this baby? It's coming in at 1 1/2 inches from the description. My ONLY concern if it makes it through QT is i dont want my poor acan to get munched on as thats the only brain coral i really have. I feed LRS to my fish as well as nori sheets and pellets. Thanks in advanced! :)

Chris04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Purchased one of the juvie bali regal angels from NYaquatics. I've been in love with this angel forever and the price was toooo good to pass up. it helps having a 14 day warranty on it to. I've heard good things about the regals from NYaquatics. Anyone have some good advice while QT this baby? It's coming in at 1 1/2 inches from the description. My ONLY concern if it makes it through QT is i dont want my poor acan to get munched on as thats the only brain coral i really have. I feed LRS to my fish as well as nori sheets and pellets. Thanks in advanced! :)
Never had that fish but have had allot of other angels. Key to keeping them from eating your reef is lots of small feeding through out the day Keep then full and they won’t nip much. Your always going to have that one fish that rather eat coral. Just keep that in mind , and for qt just keep up on the maintenance and I always do daily small water change. Like a gallon a day

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would immediately treat with your choice of internal parasite meds. If he's eating soak the food in seachem metro/focus; if he's not, treat with prazi pro then follow up with metro/focus once eating; and I do mean immediately. If he's being picky about eating, try some live black worms. At 1.5" he will be comfortable in a 20 long qt, but I wouldn't put him in anything smaller. A mature piece of rock with pods, algae, and even cryptic sponges will also help with his adjustment to captivity. Smashing masstick or ocean nutrition cubes with the gel binder into rocks or dead coral skeletons may help with feeding as well. You may get lucky and he may be eating gang busters right out of the bag, the reason these guys are difficult to feed sometimes is that they are not use to eating from the water column. Adding dither fish that eat easily from the water column is sometimes the last resort to enticing a difficult to feed individual. I still can't stress enough how important it is to treat for internal parasites.

*Check the sg in the shipping bag and adjust the sg in your qt to match.

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As you can see I have one. I have had it just over a year. It was pointed out to me it was a bit thin. So lately I have tried a number of different things on her. She is only 3 inches long. I also have a female black molly that eats anything and shows her the ropes at times. I bought some freeze dried black worms. I break off a pinch and add selcon to it and place it on a clip. She loves it. Also bought some Masstick. I add vitamins to it also. Mix it a little wetter than it says to. Stickier that way. She loves it and can pick at it for hours. Ordered live black worms also. She liked them before. I put selcon in with frozen brine shrimp and she eats them. Her favorites are the freeze dried black worms and the masstick right now. Oh and she loves the brine shrimp. I have tried lots of other foods. But these are her favorite. She ignores algae strips. Ignores clams on the shell. Though others love them. Try the black worms and masstick. Both can last in the tank so the angel can eat when it thinks no one is watching. :) I mixed some of the freezed dried black worms, after adding selcon, to the masstick. I place the masstick and the clip in the same place each day for now. Right on the glass.

Mine is putting weight on again and better coloring is noticeable.

Good luck

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prepare for the worst and hope for the best is my go to. Is this tank bare bottom and rock free? PVC pipes? Be prepared to treat with copper or CP. Have antibiotics on hand in case of infections. Metro and focus for any internal parasites. Mine got popeye after an injury chasing another fish. While in quarantine. I have read lots of posts where these fish like masstick. And you can mix it with the metro and focus. Also the tank may still go through a mini cycle since you will be adding another fish and feeding more. So Lion Kings suggestion of water changes is a great one. Good luck.

Shelley

OP
OP
ice fish

ice fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prepare for the worst and hope for the best is my go to. Is this tank bare bottom and rock free? PVC pipes? Be prepared to treat with copper or CP. Have antibiotics on hand in case of infections. Metro and focus for any internal parasites. Mine got popeye after an injury chasing another fish. While in quarantine. I have read lots of posts where these fish like masstick. And you can mix it with the metro and focus. Also the tank may still go through a mini cycle since you will be adding another fish and feeding more. So Lion Kings suggestion of water changes is a great one. Good luck.

Shelley
It is bare bottom with PVC and 3 pieces of basically rubble rock in there that i had placed to graze on previous QT fish. Ill take a look at masstick now that i'm home and which is better to use? Metro or focus? Thanks!

OP
OP
ice fish

ice fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also on another note....Has anyone had experience with them nipping or eating softies? I know zoas they like but something like leathers and mushrooms? My worse case scenario is if it does really well (its one of my dream fishies) but goes to town on the few LPS and SPS i have in the tank i might just go softies and nems.

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are all different. Mine does not touch my Dendro. And for internal parasites, you need both Metro and focus and one tablespoon of fish food. Usually frozen, then thawed. Mixed and fed to the fish for 10 days to 3 weeks. Must soak in the focus for about 20 minutes. Garlic can be added for flavoring. Focus binds the metroplex to the food. :)

OP
OP
ice fish

ice fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I talked to michael and he said it would ship tomorrow and be here thursday so it will be perfect timing with all the stuff coming for thursday as well. Will keep everyone updated! First time in a long time i've been this excited for a new fish addition....Not since my rhomboid wrasse and zebra moray

puffy127

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure you get a 14 day guarantee with that? I thought his regals were live arrival only.

mike werner

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
great qt advise above.i have two one in each tank.the tanks are full of sps,lps, zoas and the likes.i'm sure some bad luck reefer will say differently but I have NEVER had an issue with any regal eating corals.not just the two I have but with all the ones I have had over the years.hope this eases some of the stress you'll have after introducing it to the dt.

OP
OP
ice fish

ice fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
great qt advise above.i have two one in each tank.the tanks are full of sps,lps, zoas and the likes.i'm sure some bad luck reefer will say differently but I have NEVER had an issue with any regal eating corals.not just the two I have but with all the ones I have had over the years.hope this eases some of the stress you'll have after introducing it to the dt.
I know there are good stories of them not eating corals out there as well as horror stories. Im willing to roll the dice and hope for the best. I think i've prepared for this fish more then any other i have gotten lol. Getting its own special food and medication. I might try that on some of my fish in the DT though actually and see if it might fatten up my purple tang a little.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You will have to forgive me, but when I saw the title to your thread, I couldn't help but get a mental picture of someone pulling on a trigger fish. I was going to ask whether or not you still had all of your fingers and limbs after that.

OP
OP
ice fish

ice fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will have to forgive me, but when I saw the title to your thread, I couldn't help but get a mental picture of someone pulling on a trigger fish. I was going to ask whether or not you still had all of your fingers and limbs after that.
Haha no. But I have before at my last job when they wouldn't come out of decorations. Not happy triggers

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 21 15.0%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 65 46.4%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 47 33.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back