Well.. I found one.. a murder worm! I think..

  • Thread starter Thread starter Schulks
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
Do some cucumbers attach to rocks or stay in one place for months? I remember looking at the second one in the same place awhile ago. The first one is still in the same spot as well.

Edit: also would a eunice worm react to me blocking the light/ a big shadow? I assume a cucumber would not respond and what I have does not respond.
Eunice worms React to flashlight, goes back into rock.
 
I am not sure how. It must be connected to the rock beside it so I could just take that rock out but i like that rock lol

I also remembered this which is another possible worm. I'm not sure if they are because these rocks aren't large. I always thought this one was some kind of algae but with how the other is behaving and looks I am not sure.



20241213_174047.jpg

video was short but looks to be either medusa worm or cucumber. Need longer playing video under brighter llighting - no blue
 
There is another video much longer here:



It reacts when something touches it and it goes under the sand. I cant scoop it out.

Oooh, I see the face of a bobbit and you want to trap it and discard via toilet. Easy homemade trap with soda bottle cut and baited with a piece of shrimp or scallop:

trap.jpg
 
Bobbit worm or Eunice makes nice tunnels within the rock, you can’t pull them out. I had one in Tonga live rock, it ate expensive corals over a couple nights, clams, scolys and rhyzos. Broke the rock apart with hammer and chisel, it was very long, dark and nasty.
Yeah, I've seen vids of those. They are nightmarish. Honestly, I didn't think it possible that they'd make into tanks!
 
I had noticed my snails dying here and there. Then a peppermint shrimp went missing. Then my tailspot blenny died unexpectedly. I found this guy wrapped around a trochus snail and was able to rid my tank of it. About 3 inches long.

IMG_2240.jpeg
 
I had noticed my snails dying here and there. Then a peppermint shrimp went missing. Then my tailspot blenny died unexpectedly. I found this guy wrapped around a trochus snail and was able to rid my tank of it. About 3 inches long.

IMG_2240.jpeg
I am now scared I have one in the tank, as I have lost a cleaner shrimp ($300 now in australia) which I originally attributed to the anenomes, a small lawnmower blenny and nearly all of my original CUC of small hermits and snails aside from a now massive Trochus snail and one of my conches. I do know I have a decent amount of bristleworms in the tank which were lessened by my copperband.
 
They? You've got MORE than one?!?!
Well, maybe.. The videos I posted look like identical critters to me and many think one is a cucumber and the other they can't tell or is a Eunice worm.


Oooh, I see the face of a bobbit and you want to trap it and discard via toilet. Easy homemade trap with soda bottle cut and baited with a piece of shrimp or scallop:
The shorter video and the longer video are 2 different but identical hitchhikers in my aquarium. To me they look identical so posted both for ID in this thread. One picture I had to take from above and the other was through the glass.

So these pictures are of one hitchhiker

20241213_170557.jpg



And these are of a different hitchhiker but identical to my eye.

20241213_174047.jpg

Both are MIA from their posts right now but I assume they will be back later.
 
I had noticed my snails dying here and there. Then a peppermint shrimp went missing. Then my tailspot blenny died unexpectedly. I found this guy wrapped around a trochus snail and was able to rid my tank of it. About 3 inches long.
My clowns are almost 4 years old. These worms scare me more than anything.. I stocked up on CUC in early July and I still have a good amount. One giant hermit has been thriving.. and I even removed a bunch of hermits. Perhaps it is not a worm.

I did give up on emerald crabs but I think thats a me problem.
 
Last edited:
"Bobbit" worms (the genus Eunice) do not have branching filter-feeding arms. Yours is not Eunice. If the arms are bilaterally symmetrical, e.g., paired, as I think yours are, then it is probably a filter-feeding polychaete or annelid worm of which there are many, not a sea cucumber. Sea cucumbers exhibit radial symmetry. I confess, I remove worms whenever I find one just because they give me the creeps. But, they are generally beneficial CUC.
 
Last edited:
My money’s on a cucumber. You can clearly see it feeding, pulling its tentacles into and out of its mouth, in both videos.

Once the filter feeding sea cucumbers find their ideal spot, they’ll park themselves in that spot for extraordinary amounts of time.
 
I wasn't sure what it was but it was just over a sand hill. I could see like 2 cm long finger leather looking strings that were extending and then curling back down. I studied it and tried to take a picture but couldn't. I couldn't see the pit of it because of the sand. I should have turned off my return and looked from above.. I tested if it would respond to shadows. It did not. I decided to try and scoop it out with a little measuring scoop as I was uncertain it was a worm. When I went for it; it was too close to the rock and it receded back down into the sand and probably that rock. I had only a bit of sand.

I have 55 lbs of gulf live rock. I am about to search up some worms..
When I first started the hobby I used to buy from anywhere (inc garden centres) for my live rock), it was about 6 months later and ready to get the whole cycle going I started losing a few small fish and was convinced they were jumping and being eaten by our dog! It wasn’t until I bought some yellow tailed damsels and saw them reversing to certain areas of the sand and disturbing the surface, that I realised something was going on and I started to research their behaviour, it turned out they do this to expose predators and warn off others especially when it comes to ‘Bobbit worms’. With a sand sieve I scooped up the area they were disturbing to discover a 7-8” Bobbit that was very aggressive to say the least and I struggled at first to keep it in the sieve, since this I now throughly dip and quarantine anything that goes near my tank and it certainly proved the ‘new starter’ theory and my lack of experience in the hobby to never take anything for granted.
 
I wasn't sure what it was but it was just over a sand hill. I could see like 2 cm long finger leather looking strings that were extending and then curling back down. I studied it and tried to take a picture but couldn't. I couldn't see the pit of it because of the sand. I should have turned off my return and looked from above.. I tested if it would respond to shadows. It did not. I decided to try and scoop it out with a little measuring scoop as I was uncertain it was a worm. When I went for it; it was too close to the rock and it receded back down into the sand and probably that rock. I had only a bit of sand.

I have 55 lbs of gulf live rock. I am about to search up some worms..
When I first started the hobby I used to buy from anywhere (inc garden centres) for my live rock), it was about 6 months later and ready to get the whole cycle going I started losing a few small fish and was convinced they were jumping and being eaten by our dog! It wasn’t until I bought some yellow tailed damsels and saw them reversing to certain areas of the sand and disturbing the surface, that I realised something was going on and I started to research their behaviour, it turned out they do this to expose predators and warn off others especially when it comes to ‘Bobbit worms’. With a sand sieve I scooped up the area they were disturbing to discover a 7-8” Bobbit that was very aggressive to say the least and I struggled at first to keep it in the sieve, since this I now throughly dip and quarantine anything that goes near my tank and it certainly proved the ‘new starter’ theory and my lack of experience in the hobby to never take anything for granted.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 6 26.1%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 5 21.7%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 1 4.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new