Well I think I may be screwed.

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Came home from work yesterday and noticed a small scratch about 5” up from the bottom back corner of my 210. It looked like a defect in the tank that I hadn’t noticed but I didn’t think much of it. Today I come home and it has definitely expanded. Looks scalloped out now from the edges. This is a 210g tank so I am definitely concerned. I just sent pics to the store I purchased from but haven’t heard back yet. The whole area is probably about an inch. It scallops out a bit that is tough to see on the pictures past the obvious area. Am I totally screwed and need to replace this tank? It’s under warranty but it was a bear getting this this here and now it’s set up and scaped how I want. I’m really not looking forward to having to redo all that work again. It’s a really shallow scallop at this point and if it stops expanding it wouldn’t really bother me aesthetically but I’m definitely a bit freaked about the thought of disaster.

3DC7BB4F-458D-4696-94C1-FD6B9A8F2C55.jpeg

C8A74850-56E7-46FD-B52C-7F959A53E5F5.jpeg

azreeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it was a 40 gallon tank I would worry a lot. At 210 I would have drained it before I ever typed this post! If it’s expanding like you say this needs to be done fast. Honesty I would not let anyone convince me otherwise that it’s ok to keep it. Take advantage of the warranty while you have it or you better have great homeowners insurance. Good luck

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get a clamp on that quick. Looks like the glass has chipped away and is no longer holding tight in that spot. I'd be worried the whole seem will give! Hope I'm wrong though. Good luck with getting this resolved.

Gonebad395

Anemone hound
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get some brute cans and get this drained immediately 210 gallons is a lot of water on your floor and most insurance companies won’t even touch a claim from a defective fish tank. I wouldn’t wait another minute. Please keep us updated

Gonebad395

Anemone hound
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well store just said they are replacing it but holy crap how much of a pain this is going to be.

Well at least they are replacing it like I said I would get some brute cans and empty my tanks into them with heaters and water movement ASAP. And be gentle it could give at anytime

Grigs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jason,

Clamp it using a strap clamp with a softner on that corner? Perhaps some folded cardboard to prevent applying a focused stress? I'd be hesitant to apply much pressure to that point. As I understand it stress is transmitted through the surface of glass and will focus on the flaw. If I was going to do anything to that point I would be VERY careful. I'm not an engineer, I probably know JUST enough to get myself in trouble, but that is my understanding of its properties

Grigs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How high in the tank is the flaw? If you can drain down below it that might do well to minimize the risk of flooding...nm... re-read 5" from bottom is purty darn low

Wife says you could try Walmart to grab some rubbermaid bins... just checked website and ours shows open 24 hrs...

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back