Well I think I may be screwed.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m curious how there could be a failure at that area and in that way though? It was 5” up from the bottom on a side panel. Scalloped out and expanding. Just seems like an odd place for a failure to my unless there was maybe a unnoticeable flaw there from the start and that water just caused it to expand and become noticeable. I searched the seams very carefully before I filled it and everything looked good. I was actually pretty impressed with the silicone job. The new tanks silicone is much more sloppy and I had to use a razor blade to clean up a few areas that were smeared all the way up into the viewing area.

Glass breaks from the edge very easily. The panel might have been bumped in that area before it was siliconed by Tim. The defect could have been almost invisible and not prone to break when the tank was unfilled.

When you filled the tank there was quite a bit of stress added to the tank and lucky for you it broke only in a potato-chip, and not the dreaded full panel spider that would have drained the salt water into your home.

That aside, I’m wondering if you were trained in the military? The way you attacked and solved this threat; “Ooh rah!”

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Glass breaks from the edge very easily. The panel might have been bumped in that area before it was siliconed by Tim. The defect could have been almost invisible and not prone to break when the tank was unfilled.

When you filled the tank there was quite a bit of stress added to the tank and lucky for you it broke only in a potato-chip, and not the dreaded full panel spider that would have drained the salt water into your home.

That aside, I’m wondering if you were trained in the military? The way you attacked and solved this threat; “Ooh rah!”
Makes you wonder if they do a 'leak test' and inspect before the tanks leave the factory - I can't help but think that they do. There could have been damage in packing/shipping, etc. I haven't done this before - but if I ever get a new tank - I will fill it and let it sit and then examine the seams (in the garage lol)

OP
OP
J

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still cloudy but no ammonia so far.

B5156537-6280-48AE-8A66-45B57D3E38F9.jpeg

OP
OP
J

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Makes you wonder if they do a 'leak test' and inspect before the tanks leave the factory - I can't help but think that they do. There could have been damage in packing/shipping, etc. I haven't done this before - but if I ever get a new tank - I will fill it and let it sit and then examine the seams (in the garage lol)

Zero chance they do a leak test. At most I would think they might pull one every so often to do a random QC check but that’s just a guess.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Zero chance they do a leak test. At most I would think they might pull one every so often to do a random QC check but that’s just a guess.
its funny. you act as if you kn0w - saying there is zero chance - then you say you're guessing. What do you think is more expensive 100 gallons of water or replacing multiple aquaria?

OP
OP
J

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its funny. you act as if you kn0w - saying there is zero chance - then you say you're guessing. What do you think is more expensive 100 gallons of water or replacing multiple aquaria?

No manufacturer is going to fill every tank they make. That is just not practical. It’s pretty pointless as well. Most tanks that fail aren’t going to fail immediately anyway. Just like on mine. They would have had to have it set up for a month to notice an issue. And I am guessing about them pulling one every so often to do a QC check. I’m not guessing on if they do a leak check on every tank.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No manufacturer is going to fill every tank they make. That is just not practical. It’s pretty pointless as well. Most tanks that fail aren’t going to fail immediately anyway. Just like on mine. They would have had to have it set up for a month to notice an issue. And I am guessing about them pulling one every so often to do a QC check. I’m not guessing on if they do a leak check on every tank.

I agree with you. to a degree. I know come of the older and manufacturers did to leak zests on every tank. TO test for immediate problems. A leak test is overnight. for he most part - your problem is rare - dont think I've heard or seen an example of it before. my guess it was damaged in shipping?

JDtimk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The scalloped pattern makes me think that tank took a solid bump to the end of the pane of glass head on either during manufacturing or transport.

dbjonesjr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They certainly don’t check every tank. That’s why companies like Marineland or LFS never have a problem replacing or refunding the tank. Anyways, I really like the scape you came up with! Hope you find something that fits your taste though.

dbjonesjr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea claims they water test every tank in their reefer video.
But this comparison is like saying Chevrolet and Porsche are held to the same standards when it comes to quality control..... Big difference in price and quality between the two brands.

OP
OP
J

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The scalloped pattern makes me think that tank took a solid bump to the end of the pane of glass head on either during manufacturing or transport.

No idea. It definitely wasn’t there, or at least not visibly noticeable, on install. It was up just about a month and then one day I noticed the leds reflecting off what looked like a tiny scratch on the edge. I thought it was odd since I looked over the tank very carefully but I figured maybe the Leds hitting just made it visable. Then I came home the next day to what it looked like in the pics. It was even more obvious when the tank was outside in the sun. I’m going to stare at every seam on this new one for quite a while. I had used plasti-dip on the back panel, took 3 coats and it came out perfect. With this new one I went with a quick and way too thick coat of spray paint just because it was fast and I needed to get water flowing again. It annoys me a bit that there are drips and it looks terrible from the back even though no one can see it. Looks just as good from the inside but it still bugs me a little.

OP
OP
J

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They certainly don’t check every tank. That’s why companies like Marineland or LFS never have a problem replacing or refunding the tank. Anyways, I really like the scape you came up with! Hope you find something that fits your taste though.

The scape is growing on me now that the water cleared up. I adjusted a few things a tiny bit overall I’m about 8/10 happy with it. It’s got a spot that should work well for my magnifica and my gigantea so that was really my main concern. One of these mags and one of the gigs will be going in soon. I just haven’t decided which two will make the cut.

03760BB7-2186-4520-B6A4-DB9F0854534D.png

Last edited:

AngryMike2016

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But this comparison is like saying Chevrolet and Porsche are held to the same standards when it comes to quality control..... Big difference in price and quality between the two brands.

*cough* m9x engines & IMS *cough*

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No - its not - when Aqueon was in business before I got a couple tanks that were still wet inside from the testing.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 43 17.7%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 162 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back