OP
J

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it’s break time. House looks like a trainwreck. Proabably still spilled at least 10gals of water so far through the process. Now I’m down to sand, the last couple inches of water, and then separating some plumbing. Even getting the sand out is a pain. Grain size is slightly too large to siphon and the tank is so high I can’t reach the bottom. Going a netfull at a time for at least until this net gives out.

Worst part is that I have 2 Potter’s wrasses coming on Thursday and a bunch of tangs in a way to small QT currently. Was planning to moved the tangs over to the display this weekend.

D0932714-9BF1-4D47-937F-F0DF5486CE40.jpeg

Evan28395950

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it’s break time. House looks like a trainwreck. Proabably still spilled at least 10gals of water so far through the process. Now I’m down to sand, the last couple inches of water, and then separating some plumbing. Even getting the sand out is a pain. Grain size is slightly too large to siphon and the tank is so high I can’t reach the bottom. Going a netfull at a time for at least until this net gives out.

Worst part is that I have 2 Potter’s wrasses coming on Thursday and a bunch of tangs in a way to small QT currently. Was planning to moved the tangs over to the display this weekend.

I wish you the best of luck.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You've made quick work of it! I'm glad to hear it is going well! I know you may not agree at the moment, but it could have been a total loss.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is your Lfs going to have a tank for you today?

Jay Norris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It looks like you are ready to start the New Year off in a happy way. You are so lucky that the seam didn't break and you had a major flood in your house, my sister 1050 gal tank had a seem give way on the bottom of the tank , and emptied all the water out on their first floor. Everything died except one Clown Fish, and tens of thousands of dollars later the first floor was rebuilt and a new tank was built using black silicone on the seams. Turned out the silicone used to build this tank was defective, so she got most of here money back from the tank builders insurance company. Anyways Happy New Year.

OP
OP
J

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the help guys. I managed to get all the water out and only spilled around 5 gal on the floor throughout the process. Better than 210 for sure. Off to Lowe’s for some new plumbing then an hour drive to the store. Luckily the store has been great. Going to be a backbreaker to get this thing in my house with only 2 people though. Should be interesting. The weight of the tank isn’t too terrible, but lifting it high enough to get one the 36” high stand without destroying the trim is a challenge. My goal is to have water flowing again before midnight.

I had really got my aquascape just how I liked so it’s disappointing to have to start over. Hopefully I can get it looking somewhat similar. I put the rocks from the left and right side in separate brutes so I’m hoping that will at least help a little.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Came home from work yesterday and noticed a small scratch about 5” up from the bottom back corner of my 210. It looked like a defect in the tank that I hadn’t noticed but I didn’t think much of it. Today I come home and it has definitely expanded. Looks scalloped out now from the edges. This is a 210g tank so I am definitely concerned. I just sent pics to the store I purchased from but haven’t heard back yet. The whole area is probably about an inch. It scallops out a bit that is tough to see on the pictures past the obvious area. Am I totally screwed and need to replace this tank? It’s under warranty but it was a bear getting this this here and now it’s set up and scaped how I want. I’m really not looking forward to having to redo all that work again. It’s a really shallow scallop at this point and if it stops expanding it wouldn’t really bother me aesthetically but I’m definitely a bit freaked about the thought of disaster.

3DC7BB4F-458D-4696-94C1-FD6B9A8F2C55.jpeg

C8A74850-56E7-46FD-B52C-7F959A53E5F5.jpeg
I had a 75 that started to crack at the front bottom corner. I watched grow a 1/2" towards the center middle of the tank over a3 month period. It was a defect in labor when the tank was made. I got it replaced free because it was less that a year old. Personally, I would definitely swap it out.

Salty Lemon

Doing my best to make waves.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it was a 40 gallon tank I would worry a lot. At 210 I would have drained it before I ever typed this post! If it’s expanding like you say this needs to be done fast. Honesty I would not let anyone convince me otherwise that it’s ok to keep it. Take advantage of the warranty while you have it or you better have great homeowners insurance. Good luck
Ditto!

oldfishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sucks good luck. I hope you get that tank drained before you have an even bigger problem.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 66 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 36 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 34.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back