Well I think I may be screwed.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Scrolling through the thread I believe the OP's tank was replaced.

The scallop was result of bump on the edge. Not as alarming a problem as some it to be but I would be annoyed if it was new too.

In our previous apartment, my wife was carrying a microwave to the kitchen and hit the tank causing far bigger scallop. Perhaps by God's grace, the tank survived another 2-3 years after that incident.

I gave it away with stand and sump during move. It was a 180G Aqueon

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What you mean was in business? They still are. They are probably the largest by volume.

https://www.aqueon.com/
Sorry I meant when they were called all glass aquarium. I have never bought an Aquino aquarium but way back when I’m pretty sure all glass did testing

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scrolling through the thread I believe the OP's tank was replaced.

The scallop was result of bump on the edge. Not as alarming a problem as some it to be but I would be annoyed if it was new too.

In our previous apartment, my wife was carrying a microwave to the kitchen and hit the tank causing far bigger scallop. Perhaps by God's grace, the tank survived another 2-3 years after that incident.

I gave it away with stand and sump during move. It was a 180G Aqueon
Not sure of the reason but it started to show up after a month and was expanding rapidly. It was on the inside not the outside as well so if it was from a bump it would have probably had to be from before it was assembled

Last edited:

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Not sure of the reason but it started to show up after a month and was expanding rapidly. It was on the inside not the outside as well so if it was from a bump it would have probably had to be from before it was assembled

Yeah on the inside would mean it was done at the factory. Glad you got it replaced. I've never had problems with Aqueon (All-Glass back in the days); they are good peeps. For my custom sump they made a "trimmed" 150G tank. Instead of 72x18x30 they made it 72x18x19. I wanted the thicker glass used on the 150G.

A lot of people dont know but they make some custom mods to their line of tanks, like holes drilled in different places or to make a shorter (as in not as high) tank, etc.

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure of the reason but itt started to show up after a month and was expanding rapidly. It was on the inside not the outside as well so if it was from a bump it would have probably had to be from before it was assembled

I think you’re probably right, that sheet of glass was dinged on the corner before it was assembled, might not of even been Tim’s fault!

Glass can carry stresses for long periods of time before it gives in, sometimes the release of internal stresses can be explosive (in the case of a Prince Rupert’s drop). Which also brings up another aspect and that’s the sheet glass could have had internal stress from the manufacturing process, sometimes the annealing process doesn’t work as well as it should. The only way to see stress in glass is to use a polariscope. So it’s good to have drained it right away, catastophic failure is a very real concern when dealing with flawed glass with pressure applied to it.

Glad you got it sorted out! Good job on all the Reef2Reef memebers urging you to be quick about it. Well played!

For those who are interested, this is a Prince Rupert’s drop:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 17.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 17.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 48 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.7%
Back