Well I think I may be screwed.

Gonebad395

Anemone hound
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man really glad you got it done before a disaster happene. Hey look at it this way you’ll easily be able to remember when you got this new tank lol.

Grigs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it’s break time. House looks like a trainwreck. Proabably still spilled at least 10gals of water so far through the process. Now I’m down to sand, the last couple inches of water, and then separating some plumbing. Even getting the sand out is a pain. Grain size is slightly too large to siphon and the tank is so high I can’t reach the bottom. Going a netfull at a time for at least until this net gives out.

Worst part is that I have 2 Potter’s wrasses coming on Thursday and a bunch of tangs in a way to small QT currently. Was planning to moved the tangs over to the display this weekend.

D0932714-9BF1-4D47-937F-F0DF5486CE40.jpeg

Petsmart had a Marineland 75g on sale with stand, kid, and light for $250 if you need more room... (edit... LID... not KID... I do not mean to assert that Petsmart is complicit in human trafficking... ) : )

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Petsmart had a Marineland 75g on sale with stand, kid, and light for $250 if you need more room...

Thanks, I’m hoping to have everything running again tonight. I may be being overly optimistic about that possibility though

OP
OP
J

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was one quick swap! I am still surprised you got a replacement tank over a holiday weekend.

Yea. The store was pretty great. Luckily they are one of the few stores I have seen that keeps a good stock of aquariums for sale. They have pretty much all sizes in stock up to 210g

OP
OP
J

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m hoping I don’t get an ammonia spike from this. The sand was still pretty clean since the tank was only set up for around a month so I think I’ll be ok. I have a large well established marine pure block in the sump that I pulled out of my 90g tank so I think that should handle any issues.

The only near disaster I’ve had while getting it going again was that I apparently forgot to glue one joint on my full siphon drain. Luckily it was a quick fix and it was only leaking into the sump. I’m just glad I saw the leak before the pipes totally came apart so I avoided that mess.

OP
OP
J

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m curious how there could be a failure at that area and in that way though? It was 5” up from the bottom on a side panel. Scalloped out and expanding. Just seems like an odd place for a failure to my unless there was maybe a unnoticeable flaw there from the start and that water just caused it to expand and become noticeable. I searched the seams very carefully before I filled it and everything looked good. I was actually pretty impressed with the silicone job. The new tanks silicone is much more sloppy and I had to use a razor blade to clean up a few areas that were smeared all the way up into the viewing area.

eggplantparrot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe stand has defect? Slightly raised area putting stress on the glass sitting in that spot?

OP
OP
J

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe stand has defect? Slightly raised area putting stress on the glass sitting in that spot?

I looked at the stand and it’s perfectly lavel and appears to be flawless. I thought about the stand being a reason but wouldn’t think a issue with the stand would cause a failure in the spot it failed. I thought a stand issue would cause a failure originating from the bottom edge of one of the panes and traveling up but I could be wrong I guess.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back