OP
OP
Jofiel

Jofiel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so I've been planing an upgrade and had settled on something in the 65-80 gallon shallow reef. Most likely a deep blue professional 48" x 24". Sooooo...

Then I ended up buying this light.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/what-did-i-just-buy.277935/page-4#post-3381404

I still held on to the shallow reef idea up until yesterday when the universe decided I should have a 93 gallon cube!

I'm a little anxious because it is bigger than I intended to go but I'm also excited!

I was browsing craigslist and it was too good of a deal to pass up. I also had the day off today, and a friend available yesterday to enable me. Strangely it is also the absolutely largest tank stand combo that I could fit in my car. Check out the pictures!

So for $150 I bought the tank and stand. Tank is only 6 months old, 30" x 30" x24, 93 gallon reef ready marineland cube. I Checked all the seams and there are no bubbles anywhere. Silicone is ugly but nothing that can't be cleaned up with a razor blade.

The stand is waaaayyyyyy to tall, and not me style but very sturdily built so I will cut it down from 40" to something reasonable for someone my height (5'4"), and paint, spruce it up.

The build will take a while to plan/gather all the bits and pieces and I intend to dump all my ideas here.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice deal!
on a note: I think you would like the 40" in the long run as you will have the space under the tank to put sump and skimmer and don't need that tiny wiggle room to get something out of there.

OP
OP
Jofiel

Jofiel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok starting with an equipment list

Light:
JBJ Bay LED 50W Blue $25
http://www.jbjlighting.com/prod-BayLED.html
Light mount- I think I will hang it from an eye bolt in the ceiling and put a big drum shade around it so it looks like a modern pendant light.

Tank:
Marineland rimless 93 gallon cube 30" x 30" x 24" $100
Foam for under tank
Starboard for in tank
Magnet

Lid:
I'm thinking about getting a solid hindged acrylic lid from glassgages

Substrate:
Tropic Eden Reef Flakes/Meso Flakes - How much do I need? I'd like a 2 inch sandbed.

Rock:
Not sure yet! Need to research aquascapes first. Reccommendations?

Stand:
Currently 4x4 framed, plywood skin 34" x 34" x 40"
Plan is to unscrew the top and skin and cut down the 4 x 4s to 30" or so
I'd like to paint the interior orange, product reccommendations are much appreciated
I haven't made up my mind on how I want the exterior to look yet. My home is Mainly Mid Century Modern and I like a clean modern look in tank stands but I'm on a budget.
I'm considering skinning it in a PVC product (white), a light, natural wood, or something else cool and modern!

Sump:
I will be buying a used sump on craigslist. Something acrylic in 30-40 gallon size. I should be ablee to find something suitable for about $100.
Most definitely want a refugium with macro
Marinepure balls or blocks
Fuge light options I already have are chinese black box or par38 bulb

Skimmer:
Currently have a
Coralife skimmer though may need to upgrade with this size tank!

Plumbing:
OMG no clue, help!
The tank has 2 holes drilled. It came with no plumbing. The previous owner said he ran a Durso set up. that is the limit of my knowledge on this subject.
I could really use some help on a plumbing cut list.

Circulation:
Power heads:
Return:

Heaters:
Heater sensor:
Digital Thermometer:

ATO:
ato:
Resevoir:
7 Gallon
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001QC31G6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

DJ power strip

Raceway for cable management

Spill sensor

There will be no controllers to start with. It may be an upgrade in the future.

Quarantine:
current 10 gallon, stripped of sand, rock, and livestock.

Water mixing:
I will need to buy a RODI, no more fish store saltwater for me.
Salt - undecided
(2) Brute trash cans
Plumbing?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jofiel

Jofiel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice deal!
on a note: I think you would like the 40" in the long run as you will have the space under the tank to put sump and skimmer and don't need that tiny wiggle room to get something out of there.

The 40" is way to tall for me. I'd have to be well up a ladder for maintenance! I also like sitting by the tank and watching it. At this height, I'd be staring at the stand.

Though my dog loves taking a shortcut to the kitchen through it!

OP
OP
Jofiel

Jofiel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Livestock

Current:
Pair Sunkist Skunk Clowns
BTA
Mimic Filefish
Teeeeeeny Golden Sailfin Blenny
Neon Goby

CUC

Current:
(2) fighting conch
(1) Blue legged hermit (came packaged with my bta from Acanlord :) )
(12)ish Tapestry Nehrite snails
(3) Nassarius Vibex

Coral
Current:
acans
orange bowerbaki
lobo
torch
frogspawn
hammers
Purple stylo
Bird of paradise
Pocillopora
Orange zoas
red zoas
cyphastrea

Livestock I like/am considering
Fish:
CBB
Longnose Butterfly
Kole or Chevron tang
Midas Blenny
Group of Anthias
Assessors
Rainfordi Goby

Coral:
Fiji leather
gorgonians
more colors of stylo!
orange digitata
more euphyllia!

Last edited:

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 40" is way to tall for me. I'd have to be well up a ladder for maintenance! I also like sitting by the tank and watching it. At this height, I'd be staring at the stand.

Though my dog loves taking a shortcut to the kitchen through it!

I guess that makes sense.

Btw, that's funny about the dog.
My dog ate once a whole can of reefchilli, now she stays three feet away from the tank at all times. Lol

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was intending to do the shallow reef at 36'-40" but this tank is too tall!

Well the 93 can be a great tank as well.

Ridem32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not use the leveling feet. Put your stand where you want it and then level it. I would use playing cards ( poker) cards. That's how they level professional poker tables. I would put a mat or a sheet of styafoam insulation sheet.

OP
OP
Jofiel

Jofiel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not use the leveling feet. Put your stand where you want it and then level it. I would use playing cards ( poker) cards. That's how they level professional poker tables. I would put a mat or a sheet of styafoam insulation sheet.

The problem is the place I would like to put the tank bridges an area that has carpet and wood floor. I can't alter the finishes as I rent. It's an ideal spot for a variety of other reasons though...

OP
OP
Jofiel

Jofiel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Excuse the mess, but this is where I want to place the tank.

IMG_1567.JPG

The other option would be to put a 1/2" piece of plywood over the wood floor and then shim. I'll most likely put a piece of linoleum down first to protect the floor.

Ridem32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excuse the mess, but this is where I want to place the tank.

IMG_1567.JPG

The other option would be to put a 1/2" piece of plywood over the wood floor and then shim. I'll most likely put a piece of linoleum down first to protect the floor.

I would use some carpet to match the thickness of your carpet. If you use plywood the carpet side will give more than the plywood side. You will have a nice setup

OP
OP
Jofiel

Jofiel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would use some carpet to match the thickness of your carpet. If you use plywood the carpet side will give more than the plywood side. You will have a nice setup

Well that would make perfect sense!

OP
OP
Jofiel

Jofiel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought some things to spruce up the tank stand. It has solid bones but I don't like the aesthetic.

Some peel and stick vinyl planks to skin the plywood. Driftwood grey.

656380054715_05307015.jpg

Kilz to prime the interior and some porch and floor paint in a lovely teal that has a matching spray paint color for the plumbing.

986c82a24e3e5f736131ff8e3915a30d.jpg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 74 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 71 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back