Well this is a Problem: zoa fungus

PaulKreider

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 6, 2013
Messages
1,799
Reaction score
109
Location
Tallahassee-Venice Fl
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A while back I had some problems with zoas getting a brown fungus infection and it would cover the polyp and within a week the frag or a large portion of colony would be infected or melted away. I was told to use Coral Revive by my LFS and a few people on R2R and it worked. Now after cutting some frags it seems that the brown fungus is back but this time the Coral Revive doesn't seem to be doing anything, I'v got quite a few nice polyps infected and Im wondering if anyone on here has some quick advice? Thank you in advance!
 
If regular dip isn't working, you can try a fresh water dip and swish it around or as last resort try peroxide
 
Reefing: I had brown jelly get one of my torch corals and a frogspawn quite a few months back, I didn't know it hit zoas too. Looking closely at it though it looks less like a slime or jelly and more like a super thin layer of brown algae or dirt. Its tough trying to explain when I have no clue what it is.
 
Reefing: I had brown jelly get one of my torch corals and a frogspawn quite a few months back, I didn't know it hit zoas too. Looking closely at it though it looks less like a slime or jelly and more like a super thin layer of brown algae or dirt. Its tough trying to explain when I have no clue what it is.
Yea, I wasn't sure it would either, but was unclear of what you were up against.
 
That's fine all the effort helps! I went ahead and did a 10min fresh water dip on all the infected and then some hydrogen peroxide just incase... We'll see how that goes!
 
If its some kind of fungus or algae, that shoulda taken care of it.
 
IMO this is almost always caused by some underlying paramater issue and its not really something you can totally cure with a dip. Fix your water!

Quickest fix(assuming your tank isn't massive) is to order b-ionic salt(trust me, it makes everything happy) and use 0tds water. Do a waterchange every 2-3 days until you have gone through the entire 200g box. If your tank is under 200 gallons it should fix your problem =P Other route is messing with carbon dosing, vitamin c, dipping, etc.... Not worth it.

Whenever I have no clue whats wrong with my tanks or if something just looks "off" I do this ... problem solved =P

other things that help...

more flow. Jebaos are so cheap there is no excuse not to have high quality flow these days. Really healthy zoa colonies will become extremely dense and will eventually self-destruct without enough flow to keep the polyps respiring.

you can also give a chemiclean treatment a try. I have used it over a dozen times - not even for cyano sometimes. This just makes everything perk up and look great! its rediculously safe - no bad reactions at all for me. I have every coral and fish you can imagine.
 
Last edited:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 6 46.2%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 7.7%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 7.7%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new