Well water and RO/DI

  • Thread starter Thread starter SpyC
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

SpyC

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 6, 2019
Messages
1,556
Reaction score
1,228
Location
MD
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently moved and am not on well water. I have a brs 4 stage ro/di with water saver. For those on well water, how do configure your ro/di setup? I am thinking I need to add another stage or two or pre filter and another di stage. Do you run any special media due to the well water? Like co2 removal resin or anything like that.
 
Not special for me. I did start using a triple DI system and saved me a ton on resin.
 
Some of the most common issues with well water are:
  • excessive hardness
  • iron
  • manganese
  • hydrogen sulfide
None of these issues play well with a configuration where you have two RO membranes plumbed in series. We would never suggest such a configuration to anyone without taking a look at their feedwater chemistry.

Adding DI stages may or may not be needed. Do you have high feedwater TDS? Do you have CO2 issues? Remember that neither of these issues is a "given" with well water. The term "well water" tells us absolutely nothing about the water quality - it only tells us where the water is coming from.

Do you know anything about your feedwater? Have you had your well water tested by a lab?

Russ
 
Last edited:
Could anyone recommend a specific unit/brand? I also have hard water and I’m looking to upgrade
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 28.6%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 10 35.7%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 21.4%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 8 28.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 7 25.0%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 32.1%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 6 21.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new