OP
Wen

Wen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took apart cor20 again, added silicone grease to o-ring. Same. Pump starts to ramp up (3seconds), then off, repeats.
5th led light indicated which is error for intake blocked. It is not. Ugh.

OP
OP
Wen

Wen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
409A1689-D6E8-42A4-9EA8-E8A4DD6D5273.jpeg
Need advice please,
I believe to have correct amount of water in system currently.
2 cor20 pumps running at 20% and 15%, sump has water falling as I’d like it and when all power off the sump level is where I want.

How do I increase pump intensity while maintaining correct water level in sump?
open gate valves more???

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't recall exactly what you are using as an overflow system. You probably have a gate valve on your full siphon pipe, and you probably have an "emergency" pipe that you trickle through (for Herbie style overflow. Or even third pipe for a bean-animal like style overflow).

If it is currently silent, as you ramp up the return flow, more water will flow through your "emergency" pipe and it will make loud gurgling or slurping sounds. Open up your gatevalve to allow more flow through your full siphon tube.

I'm not sure how large the diameter of your overflow plumbing is. But that will limit the amount of return flow you can push. You may not be able to run both pumps full steam. But that depends on how it's built.

OP
OP
Wen

Wen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't recall exactly what you are using as an overflow system. You probably have a gate valve on your full siphon pipe, and you probably have an "emergency" pipe that you trickle through (for Herbie style overflow. Or even third pipe for a bean-animal like style overflow).

If it is currently silent, as you ramp up the return flow, more water will flow through your "emergency" pipe and it will make loud gurgling or slurping sounds. Open up your gatevalve to allow more flow through your full siphon tube.

I'm not sure how large the diameter of your overflow plumbing is. But that will limit the amount of return flow you can push. You may not be able to run both pumps full steam. But that depends on how it's built.
It was silent running one pump at 50%.

2 pumps at 50% was draining the sump way too fast for amount of water coming down, so I decreased both pumps and have been opening gate valves gradually, annoying gurgle now.

I guess it’s a balance of increasing pump intensity while opening gate valves (2 x 1.5” drains, 1 1” emergency drain) to get the correct flow/water level in sump...and then closing gate valves slightly to stop gurgle.

tricky business:rolleyes:

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have more than one gate valve? That's strange. Can you post a photo of the overflow, and the plumbing?

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So yes, looks like a bean animal style drain (I think). The third pipe is not a stand pipe in your setup, looks like it is a flexible tube going to the front of the overflow box? Like a high emergency? I also haven't seen a bean animal (or a herbie) with two gate valves. But anyways, I think I can still explain how to make it silent.

Can't tell for sure, but looks like of the two drains with the upside-down U on them, the one closest to you is higher, and the one farther away is lower. The lower drain should be your full siphon drain. Turn the gate valve on the taller pipe all the way open and leave it there. This will be the trickle flow pipe.

Now I would open up the siphon gate valve as well, just to be safe. I would then set your pumps to the flow that you want them. Then start to incrementally close the gate valve until you notice the water level rising and the slurping sounds stop. That means that the water level is slowly rising. If the water level goes high and you start hearing noise again, slightly open the siphon gate valve. Adjust until entirely silent.

I hope this helps.

To summarize

1. Open the taller overflow gate valve completely open
2. Open the lower overflow gate valve (full siphon tube)
3. Set the pumps to the flow you want them (your overflow will be noisy)
4. Start to close the siphon gate valve until the sound goes away and the water level rises.
5. Fine tune by opening the siphon gate valve so that it trickles flow into the higher tube silently.

OP
OP
Wen

Wen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So yes, looks like a bean animal style drain (I think). The third pipe is not a stand pipe in your setup, looks like it is a flexible tube going to the front of the overflow box? Like a high emergency? I also haven't seen a bean animal (or a herbie) with two gate valves. But anyways, I think I can still explain how to make it silent.

Can't tell for sure, but looks like of the two drains with the upside-down U on them, the one closest to you is higher, and the one farther away is lower. The lower drain should be your full siphon drain. Turn the gate valve on the taller pipe all the way open and leave it there. This will be the trickle flow pipe.

Now I would open up the siphon gate valve as well, just to be safe. I would then set your pumps to the flow that you want them. Then start to incrementally close the gate valve until you notice the water level rising and the slurping sounds stop. That means that the water level is slowly rising. If the water level goes high and you start hearing noise again, slightly open the siphon gate valve. Adjust until entirely silent.

I hope this helps.

To summarize

1. Open the taller overflow gate valve completely open
2. Open the lower overflow gate valve (full siphon tube)
3. Set the pumps to the flow you want them (your overflow will be noisy)
4. Start to close the siphon gate valve until the sound goes away and the water level rises.
5. Fine tune by opening the siphon gate valve so that it trickles flow into the higher tube silently.
Ok, opened both gates.
Very scary surgering. Tide in and out.
Slowly ramping up pumps.
God help me. :eek:

OP
OP
Wen

Wen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Surging has stopped.
Pumps at 35%.
tall drain 100% open.
Shorter drain closed maybe 50%.

can you look at water height in overflow currently? Look Good?

white pvc in back is emergency drain, it’s 1” above water line.
no gurgle, just rushing /moving water sounds...

Whew, thanks @Gablami ! ;Shamefullyembarrased

3396DDBF-C45F-41C7-AF18-753F2569F796.jpeg

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup looks good. If you want to increase your pumps more, just open up the siphon drain gate valve more. Should stay silent.

Just to nit pick, I gather you didn’t do you the plumbing yourself. I would have given you more room in height between the two drains. They’re so close in height that it’s more finicky to adjust. Harder to know why a drain is making noise. Is it noisy because air is going down the siphon or because there’s too much water going into the trickle pipe. Anyways, if it’s working it’s working. Happy to help!

rds85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to run a bean animal at some point..
I would recommend a few things:
Take your shortest drain pipe ( I think it is the front pipe in the photos). Replace the U with a new U without a air hole drilled into it to create a full siphon that can be controlled via a gate valve. I would then stick a small straight pipe on the end of the U to reach deeper into the overflow box ( 1-2 " ) This will address what @Gablami is mentioning above and physics will still work in your favor without have to change the height of the stand pipe after the U. Leave the second drain pipe alone as well as the emergency drain. Now you should be able to turn your return pumps up to whatever intensity you desire.

OP
OP
Wen

Wen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to run a bean animal at some point..
I would recommend a few things:
Take your shortest drain pipe ( I think it is the front pipe in the photos). Replace the U with a new U without a air hole drilled into it to create a full siphon that can be controlled via a gate valve. I would then stick a small straight pipe on the end of the U to reach deeper into the overflow box ( 1-2 " ) This will address what @Gablami is mentioning above and physics will still work in your favor without have to change the height of the stand pipe after the U. Leave the second drain pipe alone as well as the emergency drain. Now you should be able to turn your return pumps up to whatever intensity you desire.
Thank you for taking the time to help me figure this out. @rds85 and @Gablami ;Shamefullyembarrased

So I’m clear:
Don’t touch second pipe (which is wide open gate valve).
Don’t touch emergency.
The shortest drain that has u and snorkel, replace the u and add a 1-2” straight pvc so it will reach deeper into overflow. No air hole in this u to make full siphon.

This will allow me to increase cor intensity while quieting system.

OP
OP
Wen

Wen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How will the u with deeper pvc length and no holes affect sump height?

could I add new U, and longer pipe then 1-2”?

Should I add holes to added pvc that will be under the U? To stop siphon when power is off?
image.jpg

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take a look at this this video:

I would not drill those holes on the side. This is the low siphon tube and by the time the water has gotten to that level, it would probably be quite close to breaking siphon naturally from the U. Also, small holes will get clogged with time, rendering them useless.

Yes, dropping that shorter tube lower will make more of the water in the overflow drain into your sump when your pump is off. But it should not be more than a couple gallons. The actual amount depends on how short you make the tube.

rds85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for taking the time to help me figure this out. @rds85 and @Gablami ;Shamefullyembarrased

So I’m clear:
Don’t touch second pipe (which is wide open gate valve).
Don’t touch emergency.
The shortest drain that has u and snorkel, replace the u and add a 1-2” straight pvc so it will reach deeper into overflow. No air hole in this u to make full siphon.

This will allow me to increase cor intensity while quieting system.

Yes that is correct on all the line items.

OP
OP
Wen

Wen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Measured water levels inside the glass of tank and sump. 250 + 70 = 320 total gal. Cors pushing 2,000 gph now, but I’m thinking to bump them up to 2,500 gph.

OP
OP
Wen

Wen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to send a big thank you to Gaston @Tankme USA!

Gaston, the tank is stunning, the sump is exactly what I asked for, the stand & canopy frame are top notch. I could not imagine a better experience working with a tank builder! Your attention to details and dedication to each customers satisfaction says a lot about you. Thank you for the open communication throughout the whole process. Thank you for your honesty and integrity as a business.
You have a gift my friend, and I’m so grateful to have your tank as a piece of art in the heart of our home.

3A168AF9-A794-44DB-A5F5-54383E15365C.jpeg

OP
OP
Wen

Wen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m ready to be down a couple tanks. Running 7 and it’s a lot.

Today picked up new quarantined coris from Joel, in acclimation box on 150. Moved high hat from 30 gal to 280. Moved 1/2 of sunken ship ornament from 150 to 280. Moving loose live rock from old to new. Prepping to move melanarus outa observation and into 150...
Trouble is I want some of the live rock under those corals for new aquascape, lol.
509521C2-6B0B-405B-BB42-3AC542376209.jpeg

image.jpg

look how big the trachy is in my 30! Too bad the emperor loves the taste of it. Will be dwelling in the fuge.
2E885277-9FB5-4BF2-A961-185F7C71A211.jpeg

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 69 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back