Wen

Wen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Next mind bender is uv plumbing.

I’m using my existing uv. Currently it is fed by a 1/2” line (due to apex fs50 1/2”) and exists through 3/4” line to sump.
6C9BA301-CBEA-4EC8-A26F-EE1D010F311E.jpeg
In
ED016A0F-88E4-4A16-85CB-0D308D1D90E5.jpeg
Out 135ACED1-B0F1-4D4E-89F4-EE63ED840A67.jpeg

OP
OP
Wen

Wen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jawfish pairs and high hat made it through Qt buckets. Now in observation and waiting to be first into cycled 280.
8445421E-7E4F-4EB7-9254-0585155777D6.jpeg

(Love these used IM nuvos I got as a thank you for 7 years of high school marine bio volunteering.)

OP
OP
Wen

Wen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are photos of pass through from display tank to closet.
9A996E55-EECC-4590-A7F4-E96ABED892F4.jpeg

Opening located under a sink in small, jam packed closet.
BF4CCCAA-1E35-4373-AD29-46044988FEEB.jpeg

OP
OP
Wen

Wen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gaston from Tankme is delivering on Monday and a plumber coming Tuesday to help me cut & glue pvc .;Woot
I have all the plumbing parts EXCEPT six pesky 1" spigot x barb adapters. BRS is out, no local plumbing stores carry it, so I finally located them in Mississippi...hope they make it by Tuesday. ;Nailbiting

Lightspeed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i am really keen to see your skimmer running, and see your feedback, really would like to know the noise level of the Lifereef.
I have researched RE del and RO elite, i love the RE del but here in Australia its a 3 grand skimmer, that's half the cost of my display alone. RO elite looks ok but doesn't really thrill me despite being a very popular item, its still a $1500 item.
Maybe its just me but i am really struggling to see the inherent value in a molded piece of plastic and find their retail prices as somewhat out there with the rings of Saturn.

Regardless i am enjoying your build, really hope you get your Barbs in time and i wish i had put more thought into my sump as you have. I am such a NOOB;Shy no matter how much i;Bookworm

OP
OP
Wen

Wen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i am really keen to see your skimmer running, and see your feedback, really would like to know the noise level of the Lifereef.
I have researched RE del and RO elite, i love the RE del but here in Australia its a 3 grand skimmer, that's half the cost of my display alone. RO elite looks ok but doesn't really thrill me despite being a very popular item, its still a $1500 item.
Maybe its just me but i am really struggling to see the inherent value in a molded piece of plastic and find their retail prices as somewhat out there with the rings of Saturn.

Regardless i am enjoying your build, really hope you get your Barbs in time and i wish i had put more thought into my sump as you have. I am such a NOOB;Shy no matter how much i;Bookworm
Hope to have the Lifereef skimmer running next week and will let you know. Noise level is going to be important for me too, hoping this works out. Great reviews on the LR skimmer, we will see. ;)
I was tempted by the RE and RO elite, but decided to put the $ into a fancy screen top by Top Lids.
Thanks for enjoying my build :).
The nice thing about reef tanks is they are kind of like a jeep wrangler...you can alter them to be uniquely suited to your taste, lol! Let's see your sump. You may be able to add on or tweak it or you could sell it and start over.
Everyone is a NOOB once, just keep reading.

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The anticipation has to be killing you Wendy! Getting so close.

OP
OP
Wen

Wen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water Movement Thoughts:

Planning to move over from old tank to new tank 2 mp40s.
Have been eyeballing the maxspect gyre xf350.
There was a video somewhere that showed a gyre attached to the top glass panel of a euro-braced peninsula tank. This kept cords hidden and looked pretty cool. Anyone have experience mounting a gyre not on the sides, but on the top/surface?
I am also wondering if a controller is required to run it, assuming not. The thought of programming another piece of equipment at this moment is daunting...could add controller later. ?

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water Movement Thoughts:

Planning to move over from old tank to new tank 2 mp40s.
Have been eyeballing the maxspect gyre xf350.
There was a video somewhere that showed a gyre attached to the top glass panel of a euro-braced peninsula tank. This kept cords hidden and looked pretty cool. Anyone have experience mounting a gyre not on the sides, but on the top/surface?
I am also wondering if a controller is required to run it, assuming not. The thought of programming another piece of equipment at this moment is daunting...could add controller later. ?

@rds85 just did it. Take a look.

OP
OP
Wen

Wen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@rds85 just did it. Take a look.

Thank you for sharing!!! Loved reading your build thread. You have a beautiful tank and I’m jealous of your huge fish room. Everything looks great, well done.
Looks like the gyre mounted at the surface is the way to go. Will get the xf350 ordered and contemplate a gyre bracket for my euro braced peninsula.

rds85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for sharing!!! Loved reading your build thread. You have a beautiful tank and I’m jealous of your huge fish room. Everything looks great, well done.
Looks like the gyre mounted at the surface is the way to go. Will get the xf350 ordered and contemplate a gyre bracket for my euro braced peninsula.

Thank you!

If you need any help doing a surface mount bracket for your gyre, just let me know I am more than willing to help.

Also you do need to have a controller to run the gyre... but one can controller can run two pumps.

OP
OP
Wen

Wen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you!

If you need any help doing a surface mount bracket for your gyre, just let me know I am more than willing to help.

Also you do need to have a controller to run the gyre... but one can controller can run two pumps.
Awww, thank you so much. I may take you up on helping me with the surface mount bracket.

Ok, controller it is. Do you have 1 or 2 of the xf350s?

rds85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awww, thank you so much. I may take you up on helping me with the surface mount bracket.

Ok, controller it is. Do you have 1 or 2 of the xf350s?

No problem.

I only have one for now, I have zero corals though either. When colonies get larger and start affecting the flow patterns in the tank. I might have to re think and add a second one.

OP
OP
Wen

Wen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday was a long one.
Gaston arrived at 1:30 and single handedly moved a 500 pound tank and 250 pound stand/sump up 7 steps and into position. Amazing work with pvc, wood ramp, levers, blocks, portable scissor lift, much sweat and a lot of preplanning. He said good bye to his beautiful craftsmanship at 7:30 pm.
A8C67DE2-8378-4D54-9587-BF0E491C6E30.jpeg

0F9AE9EC-3E91-42EE-85CA-B9FE7D2BD234.jpeg

Here you see existing 150 and new 280. Let’s see how much plumbing can get accomplished today!
1BA71F65-AFEB-4CA5-9538-945C5EAA88B9.jpeg

Lightspeed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Wen it looks absolutely awesome, wow that new display looks really deep from top to bottom, lots of water column for swimming fishy's and aqua scape. The general is gonna be plenty happy in there if he's allowed to move in.
Love the extended ceiling and wood trim skirting and the wood trim around the archway, you just don't see that much here in Australia.
You are sooo lucky to have great movers in the USA, i am looking at your description and its got me worried about who i am going to trust with moving my display on delivery, i am still months away, but we just don't have that level of services available where i live.

This build is going to great, i am keenly watching with interest in your progress, i have a feeling this really is going to be a display to make me jelly.;Drool

OP
OP
Wen

Wen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noticed that uv bulb wasn’t on, decided to remove it from 150, clean it and change bulb.
Yeah, haven’t cleaned the sleeve in 1 year.:rolleyes:
3F1C5A4C-34C5-48B3-B991-9F7D24CBE60D.jpeg

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 28 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back