Ditto on the Salinity problem, but discovered this was more caused by fluctuation in the return and downpipe from the main display overflow.
One of the below would happen:
Overflow downpipe would slow down flow to the sump, causing the ATO to dump.
Return would randomly speed up enough to slowly pull more water from the dump than the downpipe could replace causing the ATO to dump.
A rogue wave caused by randomization in the wave makers would cause more water to enter the overflow than normal flooding the sump and cause the skimmer to overskim. RedSea's auto-cut off sensor wasn't as reliable as I hoped or would overcorrect.
Return would slow down for enough (not out of norm, but enough) to cause sump to flood.
All the above was when the sump was just a plain old sump system:
Tried all types of micron socks (felt, mesh, etc.)
ReefMatt.
RedSea 300 (eventually replaced with the new version).
As I grew frustrated:
Disassembled the Reefmatt threw in the corner in a fit of rage.
Removed the sponge before the return.
Replaced the socks with cups.
Fast forward 2 years later
I rarely use a skimmer or carbon media. I do ensure there is a significant drop from main sump to return to build up some gas. I don't use filter socks, I just use the plastic cups from RedSea. Occasionally I will run the skimmer if I am trying to make the tank look clearer, but I'll usually just add a little extra PNS or Microbacter. PO3 reducer on the occasion. I have more of an issue keeping nitrates and phosphates levels up and consistent. No biofilm build up on the surface of the sump unless I really double up dosage of Carbon Dosing (BioReef).
I dose:
1-3 drops of Oysterfeast.
1-3 drops of live-phyto.
Cap of BioReef (Carbon).
HydroSpace PNS 10-20ml +
Microbacter 7 5ml (mainly to keep some biofilm on the rocks in the main display for the starfish).
Use Soda Ash for Alk.
Initially, the hardest part was keeping PH consistent -
Switching to Soda Ash for Alk helped stabilize it.
Sump:
Full of sand, standard white lighting, rock all-over, a Saddle Valentini puffer (Puff), pencil urchin, crabs, a lobster, pest starfish, six-line wrasse, various NPS, and Hawkfish.
Main display:
LPS, SPS, NPS, and Anenome. More sand/rock, at 64 Gallons, 6 fish, a huge booty seahare, 2 starfish, pincusion urchin, emerald crabs, staghorn crabs, gallons worth of pods, and 70-80+ coral.