Wet/Dry too small for return pump and skimmer

dstockwell

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tried and tried to maneuver the Coralife 65G around the Hygger 915 in the wet dry and and space is tight.

tank2.png

I'm considering buying a 10G tank for the right side of the wet/dry (12 wide is the max room) putting the skimmer in that, and also make room for refugium. Can either use a small pump to the wet/dry, or some other means.

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using a wet/dry in conjunction with a skimmer is counter productive. Use either one or the other. Also understand that each has their pros and cons.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm considering buying a 10G tank for the right side of the wet/dry (12 wide is the max room) putting the skimmer in that, and also make room for refugium. Can either use a small pump to the wet/dry, or some other means.

Using pumps to transfer water from multiple sumps is a bad idea unless either sump can hold the full volume of water in the case of power outage OR if either pump fails. For example if your pump in the 10g fails then the 10g has to hold all the water that drains from the tank and all the water that will be pumped out of your wet/dry. Generally using pumps to transfer water between sumps is just asking for wet floors.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it were me I would get out a saw and some acrylic pieces and modify that wet/dry to allow you to put skimmer in the first compartment where you have all the balls (basically turn it into a more traditional reef sump).

OP
OP
dstockwell

dstockwell

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using pumps to transfer water from multiple sumps is a bad idea unless either sump can hold the full volume of water in the case of power outage OR if either pump fails. For example if your pump in the 10g fails then the 10g has to hold all the water that drains from the tank and all the water that will be pumped out of your wet/dry. Generally using pumps to transfer water between sumps is just asking for wet floors.

I can use a PVC U pipe between the 2.

OP
OP
dstockwell

dstockwell

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it were me I would get out a saw and some acrylic pieces and modify that wet/dry to allow you to put skimmer in the first compartment where you have all the balls (basically turn it into a more traditional reef sump).

I could remove the top and balls and use egg crate or something to raise the skimmer up. For reef is the skimmer going to enough.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could remove the top and balls and use egg crate or something to raise the skimmer up. For reef is the skimmer going to enough.

Thats a tough question. People run nice reef tanks without any sump/skimmer/fuge/etc so ya it certainly can be enough.

I dont think the wet/dry setup adds a lot of value in a reef tank personally so i dont think you lose much if anything taking it out. Personally i prefer both a skimmer and a refugium for cheato, but certainly is not a requirement for success.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 15 78.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 10.5%
Back