Wet or dry skimming?

JumperAlex

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
May 15, 2013
Messages
137
Reaction score
0
Location
Atlanta
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you wet skim or dry skim? What is your reason for doing one over the other?


90g FOWLR
Foxface lo x 1
Ocerllaris clown x2
Blue spotted Toby puffer x1
Tomini tang x1
Flame hawk x1
Mandarin dragonet x1
Red legged hermit crab x 5-10
Snails x 5
Short spine urchin (red) x 1
Conch x 1
Chocolate chip starfish x 2
 
Dry = Nutrients hanging out longer before getting skimmed
Wet = Nutrients getting removed sooner

I prefer a darkish to dark green/brown wet skimmate.
 
Let's see a pic and how long it took to get the amount of skimmate. :)

I don't usually take pics of my skimmate. I have a skimmer rated for a 250 gallon on my 75. The 8 inch diameter cup is usually about 1/4 full in a week.
 
How does everyone fine tune their skimmer to produce the nasty dry, thick and brown skimmate?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 11 36.7%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 9 30.0%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 4 13.3%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 3 10.0%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 2 6.7%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 3.3%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new