What’s on my fish in the area right before the top fin?

SinkyShippy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3dd7e5ee6a46b3b812ac20281cb58ae3.jpg

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it look kind of like the skin is sloughing off? It's hard to be certain from the pic. If that's what it looks like you're likely dealing with brooklynella

Last edited:
OP
OP
SinkyShippy

SinkyShippy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it look kind of like the skin is sloughing off? It's hard to be certain from the pic. If that's what it looks like you're likely dealing with brooklynella

I don’t know what formalin is. I can’t even find it.

Ike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you added any other fish since the clown was added?

Last edited:
OP
OP
SinkyShippy

SinkyShippy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you added any other fish since the clown was added?
I had a firefish in there for less than 24 hours before she literally jumped ship and killed herself

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know what formalin is. I can’t even find it.
Personally I wouldn't recommend using formalin, it's a known carcinogen and usually shortens a fish's life even after recovering. Treating with a ruby reef rally bath and metronidazole is what I would do

OP
OP
SinkyShippy

SinkyShippy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I wouldn't recommend using formalin, it's a known carcinogen and usually shortens a fish's life even after recovering. Treating with a ruby reef rally bath and metronidazole is what I would do

I ordered Rally. It’s coming in Tuesday if they don’t pass by then. Working on getting a QT 5 gallon bucket set up

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered Rally. It’s coming in Tuesday if they don’t pass by then. Working on getting a QT 5 gallon bucket set up
A freshwater dip will help to provide some immediate relief and buy you some time
Before we settle on a diagnosis I'd like to get some more eyes on this just to be sure the consensus is brooklynella
@HotRocks @4FordFamily @ngoodermuth

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has there been much change since 8? It looks like it could be the beggining stages of brook, or he may have just rubbed against some rocks. Hard to tell.

OP
OP
SinkyShippy

SinkyShippy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has there been much change since 8? It looks like it could be the beggining stages of brook, or he may have just rubbed against some rocks. Hard to tell.

I haven’t noticed anything. My two clownfish are still swimming around like crazy.

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How's his breathing? Can you tell if he's puffing his gills at all?

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just noticed that the original post was yesterday. If it's brook, I would think he would be looking a little worse by now and perhaps gasping at the air. It tends to kill pretty quickly. Do you have a cleaner shrimp? Clowns do some weird things and tend to scratch themselves up pretty easily. Fingers crossed that's all it is.

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just noticed that the original post was yesterday. If it's brook, I would think he would be looking a little worse by now and perhaps gasping at the air. It tends to kill pretty quickly. Do you have a cleaner shrimp? Clowns do some weird things and tend to scratch themselves up pretty easily. Fingers crossed that's all it is.
hahah.... yesterday because it just hit midnight where I am. I'd still expect him to be looking a little worse and having more slime coming off....

OP
OP
SinkyShippy

SinkyShippy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I posted this about three hours ago. So far it doesn’t look like it’s spread or anything. I have cleaner shrimp. Two peppermint and two scarlet skunk.

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted this about three hours ago. So far it doesn’t look like it’s spread or anything. I have cleaner shrimp. Two peppermint and two scarlet skunk.

My first clowns died of Brook. One died overnight and the other one looked fine that morning, he was dead within 4 hours or so. I'm not sure there's much you can do tonight. If he's still alive in the morning, he's either going to look terrible cause he has brook or about the same because it's not brook. Hopefully the cleaner shrimp will remove some of the dead tissue and speed the healing process even if it is brook.... Fingers crossed for your fishies. And I wish I had more info I could give. Sorry :(

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back