What’s on my sponge?

ambuncher

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 28, 2019
Messages
33
Reaction score
25
Location
Philadelphia
What state or country do you live in
Pennsylvania
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a sea sponge a few months ago. It was doing great for weeks, then fell over between some rocks for a few days. When I pulled it out of rocks, it has some white and brown goo on it. It looks like algae of some sort. I can see the orange flesh beneath, but the goo seems to be spreading. I placed it near a power head to try and blow some of the gunk off. Anyone know what it is, or how to get rid of it? I know the sponge can’t hit the air or it will die. I don’t have too much algae at all in the rest of the tank, besides a little bubble algae (emeralds are working on it)

A28F7A8A-C761-4DC6-87CA-AA94FE4BEEDA.jpeg
 
My guess is that the sponge isn't doing great and that is some sort of bacterial mat consuming the weak sponge tissue.
Hmm that would make sense. Any thoughts on anti-bacterial meds I can use? I’ve never delved into the whole medication route. Or with all the coral I have, is it better to just pull it out?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 12 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 16.2%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 57 34.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 6.6%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 11 6.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 26 15.6%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 7.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new