What’s the best way to clean used tank

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a great deal on used IM 25 lagoon tank, skimmer, reactor, and return pump. But, I have never bought anything used before.

How and what is the best way to clean them?

thanks in advance.

Jilly92

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a great deal on used IM 25 lagoon tank, skimmer, reactor, and return pump. But, I have never bought anything used before.

How and what is the best way to clean them?

thanks in advance.
I boil water and vinegar and let them sit in large plastic tote for like 6 hours and soak. Then scrub with vinegar and rinse with rodi

OP
OP
canadianeh

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just fill the tank with water and add citric acid. Let it run for a few hours (or days) and EVERYTHING will either be gone, or wipe right off. Easy as that.
This sounds the easiest! Is citric acid available at Home Depot?? Is it safe for skimmer, return pump, reactor and all other equipment parts?

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This sounds the easiest! Is citric acid available at Home Depot?? Is it safe for skimmer, return pump, reactor and all other equipment parts?
It's definitely easy.. and safe/cheap to utilize. You could literally make it yourself without much effort.. it's a simple organic acid.

OP
OP
canadianeh

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's definitely easy.. and safe/cheap to utilize. You could literally make it yourself without much effort.. it's a simple organic acid.
Is it safe for skimmer, return pump, reactor and all other equipment parts and tank silicone?

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont think Home Depot sells it. I get mine on Amazon. It is safe for all pumps and equipment. There are theories that it may even be safer than vinegar on pumps and magnets. It also won't leave you, your home, and all of your equipment smelling like vinegar.

OP
OP
canadianeh

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont think Home Depot sells it. I get mine on Amazon. It is safe for all pumps and equipment. There are theories that it may even be safer than vinegar on pumps and magnets. It also won't leave you, your home, and all of your equipment smelling like vinegar.
So how much I need for 25 gallons tank? Can I use regular tap water?

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cleaning strenth vinegar works great. Just add a lot to water, run your pumps for a day or 2. tap water good. Use a half bottle or even full. doesn't matter

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use tap water when cleaning a new tank. I would just fill the tank and get it running, then dump in a couple cups of citric acid, let it run for a few hours, try wiping off gunk, if it comes off easily you are good to go, if not run longer and/or add more citric acid.

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think walmart has it.

Just mix 1/2 cup per gallon I think.

With such a large volume you could probably do 1/2 a cup per 2 gallons.

The more you add, the more it will eat away at whatever is there. But Idk how bad the tank is.

Regular tap is 100% fine if you're just cleaning. You're not going to be leaving any of the water in there so it's fine.

Just do a proper drying after.

OP
OP
canadianeh

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I put in 10 cups of citric acid in the 25 gallon tank, and for some reason the next day the water turn to green??
Why?

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I put in 10 cups of citric acid in the 25 gallon tank, and for some reason the next day the water turn to green??
Why?
My guess would be all of the stuck on algae and crud was dissolved into the water/acid mix and tinted the water that green color.

malacoda

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My guess would be all of the stuck on algae and crud was dissolved into the water/acid mix and tinted the water that green color.
+1 Just like a bath of vinegar+water turning purple after coralline-covered equipment is soaked in it.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back