What’s the largest Flame or Coral Beauty you’ve seen?

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Max size for Flame and Coral Beauty is 10cm / 4” as listed in most places, but I’ve seen 4.5” / 11cm for the Coral Beauty and 5-6” / 13-15cm for the Flame. Realistically though, for those of you who’ve had these fish for many years, what size did they get to? I would imagine actually getting to 3.5-4” would be considered very big for both?

And that 2.5-3” is a more realistic fully grown size for both, at least in captivity?

I sometimes browse through the stock lists of some Asian retailers like one from Hong Kong called SeaLife. Largest I’ve seen they get in for Coral Beauty and Flames seems to be about 3” or 8cm. These are all wild collected. Don’t think I’ve ever seen 4”.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Max size for Flame and Coral Beauty is 10cm / 4” as listed in most places, but I’ve seen 4.5” / 11cm for the Coral Beauty and 5-6” / 13-15cm for the Flame. Realistically though, for those of you who’ve had these fish for many years, what size did they get to? I would imagine actually getting to 3.5-4” would be considered very big for both?

And that 2.5-3” is a more realistic fully grown size for both, at least in captivity?

I sometimes browse through the stock lists of some Asian retailers like one from Hong Kong called SeaLife. Largest I’ve seen they get in for Coral Beauty and Flames seems to be about 3” or 8cm. These are all wild collected. Don’t think I’ve ever seen 4”.
I’ve seen some CBAs that are Atleast 5” from tank break downs, and also the largest Flame I’ve seen from a tank breakdown was 6” if not 6.5”.
It’s like any fish, if you feed it the exact way it would be fed in the wild (Almost constantly feeding) it will get to the actual size you’ll find them in the wild sometimes even bigger.
My friend and I used to joke about never seeing a yellow tang larger than 5”… One tank breakdown and he ended up with a medium dinner plate sized Purple and a 9” Yellow.

peterhos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the years I have had several flame angels (too expensive now sadly), coral beauties and Eiblis. All stayed much the same size at around 4 -4.5 inches. Fitted well into my 4 foot tank.

OP
OP
Zionas

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It appears the 6” max size for Eibli is overestimated or extremely rare, and 4.5” is a more realistic maximum size. Rudie Kuiter’s angelfish book has the Eibli maxing out at 4.5” / 11cm. Kuiter’s book also mentions the Flame as getting to 4-4.5” but “usually to 7cm.”

On a side note how long have you kept these dwarf angels for? @peterhos

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 24.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 28.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.7%
Back