What’s the next highly anticipated piece of reef keeping equipment??

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BA7874C8-280A-44A8-A511-6525427D5DAA.gif

Scotty Buttons

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a glass scraping roomba!

This does exist, I bought some frags from a guy that had once but I don't remember the name. His only complaints about it were that it was kind of loud and that it didn't get like 1.5 inches around the perimeter of the glass.

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why go back and edit to add comments a couple hours later? :rolleyes:
Cause I always have horrible spelling mistakes ha ha.
As for today, wifi inside the airplane was spotty had to wait to land and correct some posts.
Cheers.

Last edited:

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Joshua Kerstetter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want a affordable and easy to implement inline heater, or a coil system that I can tie into my hot water heater. Something that won't die in a year, uses less electricity, and won't contaminate the tank when it fails.

GK3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
mind blown!!! Does anyone have one or is there a review for it anywhere?

I have it, works great for my seahorses. Just understand your fish will learn the feed location if you don’t move it on your tank.

GK3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
meh, ive read about it and already soured on it.

Its huge and needs to be refrozen overnight, everynight. Youre just trading feeding the tank for installing the feeder and refreezing it. Its a cool idea though

Yea, except it feed the fish over an 8 hour period. Much better for grazers.

GK3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Yup.dos do not have the accuracy needed for solid AWC...personal openion..

How much accuracy do you need? They advertise down 0.1mL at a time. Even if you missed the accuracy by a factor of 1000, you are only at 100 mL or .0264 gallons off. So worse case your removal side is 0.0264 gallons heavy, and your add side is 0.0264 lite. Then you are 0.0264*2=0.0528 gallons below your running level. So your ATO kicks in and adds 0.0528 gallons of fresh water. That’s less than 1 cup of water. In most systems, that doesn’t matter, unless you did it 20 times without ever checking...and this all assumes the apex is 1000 times off the advertised accuracy.

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much accuracy do you need? They advertise down 0.1mL at a time. Even if you missed the accuracy by a factor of 1000, you are only at 100 mL or .0264 gallons off. So worse case your removal side is 0.0264 gallons heavy, and your add side is 0.0264 lite. Then you are 0.0264*2=0.0528 gallons below your running level. So your ATO kicks in and adds 0.0528 gallons of fresh water. That’s less than 1 cup of water. In most systems, that doesn’t matter, unless you did it 20 times without ever checking...and this all assumes the apex is 1000 times off the advertised accuracy.
what I meant here is the accuracy over time. to me..and this is to me, peristaltic dosers depend on the tubing in it to determine the accuracy. the doser calculate the water volume pushed through its head by counting the number of rotations the head is doing. these peristaltic dosers are calibrated once at the factory. as long as the tubing inside the head is good, water volume reporting is accurate. but by time, these tubing's deform and start giving variable water volume per head rotation. so if left unchanged the water volume will change over time.
in AWC its important to know how much water is being pulled out via one head so the 2nd head push similar water volume to the system.

now, one might argue that this variation is small. but defining small can vary between different people. in KH testers as an example, some people where not comfortable having water being pulled out of the system even though its small water sample, and observed salinity drifts. as an example when I first set my KHG and was not comfortable pushing back the water sample to the system, my salinity will drift over a month or 2 and I had to add some salt to my ATO to compensate...keep in mind KHG pull small amount of water sample per test, but it added up for me to almost 1.5 gallon a month...

to me an automation setup is something that you set and forget. if amount of water being pulled is less or more than the one being pushed back, over time you will start having salinity changes, so its not set and forget. Again this is to me..

on top of the above, Dos is not stand alone doser, which means, on top of the typical risks (small or large) that dosers have, you have an extra dependency on the controller. not discussing the early failures the doser had (I believe they addressed it already), you can already see some threads talking about dos pulling or pushing more water than expected in AWC configuration, or even dosing. some of these issues are user error, some are hardware error, end result is the same. I personally cannot afford any variation or introducing point where I can make errors in...maybe am picky, maybe not..
I like stand alone feature in anything that I consider core (power heads, return pump, dosers, CArx and lights) I want to tinker with less and I seek to reduce its dependences on anything else, because to me, the value of monitoring something that is suppose to do the same thing over day, month and a year is not worth jeopardizing over its core function.... that's why as an example in these core equipment's I purchase from companies that do the equipment as core business and been in the market for a while that their performance is known. basically I value the performance over the ability to monitor the same status.

GK3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
what I meant here is the accuracy over time. to me..and this is to me, peristaltic dosers depend on the tubing in it to determine the accuracy. the doser calculate the water volume pushed through its head by counting the number of rotations the head is doing. these peristaltic dosers are calibrated once at the factory. as long as the tubing inside the head is good, water volume reporting is accurate. but by time, these tubing's deform and start giving variable water volume per head rotation. so if left unchanged the water volume will change over time.
in AWC its important to know how much water is being pulled out via one head so the 2nd head push similar water volume to the system.

now, one might argue that this variation is small. but defining small can vary between different people. in KH testers as an example, some people where not comfortable having water being pulled out of the system even though its small water sample, and observed salinity drifts. as an example when I first set my KHG and was not comfortable pushing back the water sample to the system, my salinity will drift over a month or 2 and I had to add some salt to my ATO to compensate...keep in mind KHG pull small amount of water sample per test, but it added up for me to almost 1.5 gallon a month...

to me an automation setup is something that you set and forget. if amount of water being pulled is less or more than the one being pushed back, over time you will start having salinity changes, so its not set and forget. Again this is to me..

on top of the above, Dos is not stand alone doser, which means, on top of the typical risks (small or large) that dosers have, you have an extra dependency on the controller. not discussing the early failures the doser had (I believe they addressed it already), you can already see some threads talking about dos pulling or pushing more water than expected in AWC configuration, or even dosing. some of these issues are user error, some are hardware error, end result is the same. I personally cannot afford any variation or introducing point where I can make errors in...maybe am picky, maybe not..
I like stand alone feature in anything that I consider core (power heads, return pump, dosers, CArx and lights) I want to tinker with less and I seek to reduce its dependences on anything else, because to me, the value of monitoring something that is suppose to do the same thing over day, month and a year is not worth jeopardizing over its core function.... that's why as an example in these core equipment's I purchase from companies that do the equipment as core business and been in the market for a while that their performance is known. basically I value the performance over the ability to monitor the same status.

You can recalibrate the DOS and then instructions say to do so to maintain accuracy.

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can recalibrate the DOS and then instructions say to do so to maintain accuracy.
Yes sir, this is one way to add peace of mind.

when and how would you know you need calibration?
How often should you check for calibration?
What goes in the proccess to decide to calibrate?
"Set and forget..just like ATO".
Story of peristaltic pumps..

Last edited:

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TBH I think more important would be if existing hobbyists started to do basic stuff like water changes to keep their tanks nice.... Many FTS scare me LOL.

Equipment is not the limiting factor for like 99.99% of hobbyists

Last edited:

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the record this is one of the reasons I am hoping ion prob based measurements get commoditized more...I do not like testers that are dependent in peristaltic pumps cause all the above follow as well which force all these annual maintenance requirments and test degradation over time..
That's why I love my kh guardian. Though its peristaltic based it do not depend on the peristaltic pump to calculate the water sample volume which is important to get accurate measurments.
Instead it depend on a float inside the test chamber which means regardless of the pump performance, the same ammount of water sample is drawn every time.
Paired with the IR based drop counter, the unit know exactly how many reagent drop is used against the exact water volume...

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TBH I think more important would be if existing hobbyists started to do basic stuff like water changes to keep their tanks nice.... Many FTS scare me LOL
100% agree.
I do husbandry during WC, it also give me a window in to looking at my system equipments and such...

Last edited:

jschultzbass

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

WilliamJohnCIII

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I'm looking forward to the release of the Seneye Coral monitor. It's less expensive than even the entry-level Apex (although the replacement slides will add up over time), and it monitors alkalinity, ammonia and PAR right out of the box.

I'd also like an Apex eventually, but the Seneye Coral is a more affordable starting point that will bring me some piece of mind and save me some testing.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%

Back