What’s the worst mistake you have made reefing?

Nanolifeuk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m talking full on face palm moment. I just did a water change and about 5L into it realised the hose was on the carpet and not in the bucket.

This isn’t the worst though. By far the worst mistake I made was doing a 50% water change and forgetting to add salt. No idea how my fish survived that one.

BaliReefBox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mixing salt and rodi in a 500ml container and pouring it into th tank......not all the salt was dissolved and ended up settling onto one of the torches....all those crystals the torch didnt appreciate and he shed a good deal... survived though....and my first sps insta frag when i dropped a relly nice large piece....do you want me to keep going? this has and will be for a long time a VERY steep learning curve

NanoJHB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dosing 5ml of phytoplankton twice a day to my 2 month year old 10 gallon that hardly had any corals. After a week my fish were looking terrible and for the life of me couldn't figure out what was wrong. Carried on going for another week.

Lost everything from the ammonia spike, before realizing it was all the phyto.... managed to save 2 clowns, one of them being me lol.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first setup my system I didn’t take into account that the way I had it setup my ATO would start a siphon and I overflowed my sump with freshwater, luckily there were no inhabitants yet.
The way I currently add rodi water to my ATO reservoir is with a pump in a different room of my house, well a few months back I turned on the pump and forgot to turn it back off, so again I overflowed my sump. Luckily I didn’t have any causalities from it.

OP
OP
Nanolifeuk

Nanolifeuk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dosing 5ml of phytoplankton twice a day to my 2 month year old 10 gallon that hardly had any corals. After a week my fish were looking terrible and for the life of me couldn't figure out what was wrong. Carried on going for another week.
I just started with reef-roids. Tank is 14 month or so and I’m still petrified of overdoing it. Feed about 1/8th teaspoon a week (16Gal)

NanoJHB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just started with reef-roids. Tank is 14 month or so and I’m still petrified of overdoing it. Feed about 1/8th teaspoon a week (16Gal)
Think the biggest thing is being aware if it, I was brand new to the hobby and from my online reading, phyto was gold... hence the excessive amounts I was pouring in haha

JaaxReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of these are ATO mistakes; Ha!

Right after my daughter was born, I was tired and probably not thinking. Cleaned my ATO pump and put it back on the tank and turned it back on before bed. Woke up in the middle of the night to the ATO alarm for low water beeping and water dripping through the ceiling on the floor below. It pumped the 1.5 gallons left in the ATO container (thank God it wasn’t full) right onto the floor. Completely forgot to put the ATO hose back in the holder in the sump… drying out inside the ceiling, replacing sheet rock, and repairing knockdown ceiling texture was a PITA. I only use a gravity fed ATO now because of this trauma…

Jbell370

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buying a tank that wouldn’t fit downstairs, thinking without measuring 2 100g storage containers would fit in the space I had, 50g ended up fitting after three trips. This skimmer is awesome, doesn’t fit in my sump or under the tank.

By far, answering gf’s question about how much this all cost.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back