What’s this green stuff coming out of my mushroom?

the Kippax kid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The mushroom was put in a week ago and these green things are getting bigger, the mushroom looks really healthy though, I would appreciate any help, cheers

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The mushroom was put in a week ago and these green things are getting bigger, the mushroom looks really healthy though, I would appreciate any help, cheers
Can you get a pic under white light and post it? It could be a number of things.

OP
OP
T

the Kippax kid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I thought I’d added a pic already

Attachments

• F04863ED-463D-4C69-80F6-C3AA9053FF22.jpeg
    F04863ED-463D-4C69-80F6-C3AA9053FF22.jpeg
    172.3 KB · Views: 86

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I thought I’d added a pic already
The green leafy stuff? If so, it looks like ulva. That is a macro algae. It can be invasive, but if you have any herbivores they will eat it. If no herbivores, remove frag and remove the macro algae. Put a little hydrogen peroxide on a paper towel and set it on that area for a few minutes and then scrub with a tooth brush. Be sure to not scrub the shroom and do it in a small tub with some old tank water. Then rinse with some old tank water and place back in the tank.

A little peroxide will not hurt the shroom, but try to not get a ton on it. That is why I said a paper towel on the spot where the algae was. Keeps it from irritating the shroom and makes it a controlled exposure to the area where the algae is.

OP
OP
T

the Kippax kid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve only got 2 clowns in and 2 shrimp and a blue legged crab so I presume il have to take it out and treat it with peroxide, thank you for the advice

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve only got 2 clowns in and 2 shrimp and a blue legged crab so I presume il have to take it out and treat it with peroxide, thank you for the advice
Not a problem. If you have a sump with a fuge, ulva makes a great macro for consuming nutrients. As long as you have a mesh screen or sponge, it will stay put in the sump.

hhaase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as algae's go, Ulva is really low on the 'concern' list. Some of us pay good money for the stuff.

Your blue legged crab may nibble at it but likely it will grow faster than just one crab will consume it. That's even assuming he touches it. It's unfortunate that it's directly under the frag, as otherwise I'd recommend just letting it grow. Can look quite nice if you keep it trimmed.

I'm in the group that likes some decorative macroalgae in my display, not a commonly seen thing.

-Hans

Back