What’s your biggest regret in reefing?

ReefJCB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We’ve all been there. Done some bonehead move while setting up, poorly researched impulse buy, didn’t quarantine a fish with a disease, etc. I’m curious to find out what you would have done differently if you had one do over.

I’ve got 2:

1. I should have done way more research and planned my tank out better. Specifically equipment and plumbing in my sump. It’s a disaster that drives me crazy every time I’m doing maintenance.

2. I ordered a bottle of refractometer calibration fluid in the middle of the summer here in Arizona. Apparently it doesn’t ship well in heat and went bad. Took me a solid 4 months of salt way out of whack and things dying to figure it out.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You mean other than getting involved in this seriously addictive hobby?

Too many small screw ups to remember. But I do tend to learn from them.

content.gif

OP
OP
ReefJCB

ReefJCB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You mean other than getting involved in this seriously addictive hobby?

Too many small screw ups to remember. But I do tend to learn from them.

content.gif
Haha that cartoon! Totally wish my stand was even just an inch or 2 shorter. Would make a world of difference for me.

fermentedhiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lack of patience. Planning a schedule of how the build is going to go in terms of livestock/coral additions and trying to fight to stick with that plan when the tank is telling you it needs you to wait :/

KenRexford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Waiting too long to upgrade myself. 17 years of saltwater. Only recently making any sense at all. I mean, it wasn't that long ago that I used a Seaclone protein skimmer! I quit compact fluorescent lighting because no one had bulbs. I remember not too long ago where the best red anywhere near my tank was the nitrate test kit with a gorgeous deep blood red hue. My 2-part was 1 part wondering why the fish were still alive and swimming and 1 part looking up algae on my rocks that no one had ever seen before.

PeaBrain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will have to spin this because I don't have any major regrets. But one thing I do NOT regret is buying used tank and stand. Very little benefit to a brand new tank unless you go custom.

OP
OP
ReefJCB

ReefJCB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will have to spin this because I don't have any major regrets. But one thing I do NOT regret is buying used tank and stand. Very little benefit to a brand new tank unless you go custom.
Saving money where you can is always a super good idea. I’ve recently started trading with local reefers for corals. Getting super high quality stuff for free/cheep.

I’m all for supporting local LFS, and even the reputable online vendors, but there’s something great about the relationship with local people in the hobby.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back