What’s your recipe?

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So with all the commercial foods around, I also regularly see people make their own food. I’m thinking I may try my hand at making my own fish food.

So I ask, what’s your recipe? What tips do you have for those looking to make their own (i.e. only this type of shrimp or make sure it doesn’t contain x)? Thanks!

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So with all the commercial foods around, I also regularly see people make their own food. I’m thinking I may try my hand at making my own fish food.

So I ask, what’s your recipe? What tips do you have for those looking to make their own (i.e. only this type of shrimp or make sure it doesn’t contain x)? Thanks!
Well I dont “make” my own food per say, I do make little cocktails for my fish with different kinds of frozen fish food and mix vitamins and supplements in for them and they go nuts for it! But as far as making your own food from a grocery store I would ask @lion king pretty sure he feeds all his predators food from the store and could tell you what to look for and what not to look for!

fishyjoes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed a combination of freeze dried foods (about 1/2 mysis shrimp, 1/4 calanus, and 1/4 brine shrimp), rehydrated with selcon.
I don't have a lot of fish and got tired of chopping off pieces of the frozen blocks so I moved to freeze dried (much easier).

malacoda

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NLS pellets for breakfast and lunch for vitamins and algae they contain.

In the evenings, a homemade mix of clams, mussels, a little salmon, a bit of shrimp and/or scallops, and sometimes a bit of cheap white fish ... mixed with freeze-dried canalis and msysis from BRS ... all blended together to the consistency of oatmeal (e.g. some small chunks) that I freeze.

IMO the clams, mussels and salmon are the most important parts of the fresh seafood mix — because of the gut bacteria of the shellfish ... and the omega fatty acids and carotenoids in the salmon. So they make up the bulk of the mix.

OP
OP
Reefing102

Reefing102

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

In the evenings, a homemade mix of clams, mussels, a little salmon, a bit of shrimp and/or scallops, and sometimes a bit of cheap white fish ... mixed with freeze-dried canalis and msysis from BRS ... all blended together to the consistency of oatmeal (e.g. some small chunks) that I freeze.

IMO the clams, mussels and salmon are the most important parts of the fresh seafood mix — because of the gut bacteria of the shellfish ... and the omega fatty acids and carotenoids in the salmon. So they make up the bulk of the mix.

Awesome! Thanks! Is it all free measured or do you have a specific measurement of each one?

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

+1 to this but I also add red and green nori. Plus whatever else is on sale. Usually costs me around $50-60 and lasts half a year for my 210.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Determine the native diet for the fish you are feeding. Buy fresh human grade seafood and freeze in small batches, frozen food is optimum in nutrition for a limited time. Wild fish preferred; as farmed fish is raised in toxic, chemical sewage; also a good tip for humans. Visit an Asian market. If you buy frozen, check the best date or packed date, and use within best date for the type of food. If you buy frozen also check the label for additive, and make sure everything is raw.

OP
OP
Reefing102

Reefing102

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fish would mainly be typical reef fish, currently clowns, red line wrasse, and yellow watchman goby

Boehmtown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salmon , scallops and shrimp 1 to 1 to 1 blended. I like to add clam. Never found a thing that didn't like to eat it but I think people keep them out cause of the smell and what not. But honestly last year I switched to reef nutrition foods and hatching brine shrimp and I like that way better

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I start with a frozen bag of mixed seafood that I get from aldi that has shrimp, squid, scallops, and mussels. Then to that I will add whatever other fresh fish and clams or oysters that I can find at the grocery store. I also blend up some nori and add garlic extract and and brightwell aminomega.

My only advice is do your best to make sure any seafood doesn’t have sodium tripolyphosphate. It’s a common additive to seafood and from what I’ve read will raise your phosphates.

ArtisticReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I start with a frozen bag of mixed seafood that I get from aldi that has shrimp, squid, scallops, and mussels. Then to that I will add whatever other fresh fish and clams or oysters that I can find at the grocery store. I also blend up some nori and add garlic extract and and brightwell aminomega.

My only advice is do your best to make sure any seafood doesn’t have sodium tripolyphosphate. It’s a common additive to seafood and from what I’ve read will raise your phosphates.
I'm glad to see you raised the Sodium Tri.... issue. I learned to soak the fish for 30-60 min in water to dissolve it from the fish then rinse. It was on one of ReefBum's shows with Dong Zou from AcroGarden. He is a big fan of salmon (for the oil) and shrimp for mixed frozen food. I think he also said not to rinse mysis shrimp because you wash off the beneficial oils.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm glad to see you raised the Sodium Tri.... issue. I learned to soak the fish for 30-60 min in water to dissolve it from the fish then rinse. It was on one of ReefBum's shows with Dong Zou from AcroGarden. He is a big fan of salmon (for the oil) and shrimp for mixed frozen food. I think he also said not to rinse mysis shrimp because you wash off the beneficial oils.
I had never heard that soaking it will remove the STPP, so thanks for the tip. When I look at frozen foods I look for it in the ingredients, but from what I’ve been told it is not a requirement from the fda to list it. I’ve also avoided salmon because I’ve read some things that say it’s not a good fish to use. I guess I’ll go find that episode of ReefBum and watch it.

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Determine the native diet for the fish you are feeding. Buy fresh human grade seafood and freeze in small batches, frozen food is optimum in nutrition for a limited time. Wild fish preferred; as farmed fish is raised in toxic, chemical sewage; also a good tip for humans. Visit an Asian market. If you buy frozen, check the best date or packed date, and use within best date for the type of food. If you buy frozen also check the label for additive, and make sure everything is raw.
I'm luck enough to have a Korean market by work. The seafood section is amazing (although I feel bad for the live fish they sell). It's the only place I can find cockles. They have whole fish (not gutted), full head on shrimp, etc.

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

How do you do the clams? Do you freeze first? I freeze clams and defrost them. I pop off the top shell and throw it in, the fish go CRAZY!! The thing is, there is ALOT of water in the cup after it defrosts. I don't think I want that in the food. It seems like alot of pollution.

I think I would freeze them first, then defrost and throw away all the water. Then I would add them into the food mix.

OP
OP
Reefing102

Reefing102

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had never heard that soaking it will remove the STPP, so thanks for the tip. When I look at frozen foods I look for it in the ingredients, but from what I’ve been told it is not a requirement from the fda to list it. I’ve also avoided salmon because I’ve read some things that say it’s not a good fish to use. I guess I’ll go find that episode of ReefBum and watch it.

If you find it, feel free to post it here. I’m liking all the tips and tricks so far

Syntax1235

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently heard Dong Zou of Acro Garden speak on ReefBum, he feeds all his fish exclusively raw salmon. Apparently it is clean, nutritious, and less likely to contain pathogenic bacteria. I have not tried it myself, it I’m running low on food so I may give it a shot.

Last edited:

malacoda

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! Thanks! Is it all free measured or do you have a specific measurement of each one?
Free measured. I try to judge by eye how much it'll take to fill a quart-sized ziploc bag with a layer that's about 1/4 inch thick. Blend it up so it's just a bit chunky, put it in the bag, flatten it down to an even 1/4" layer, then zip it shut and freeze it.

As I need it, I break off a big chunk ... and chop that chunk into frozen M&M sized bits that I reach into the freeze for each evening to feed with.

malacoda

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you do the clams? Do you freeze first? I freeze clams and defrost them. I pop off the top shell and throw it in, the fish go CRAZY!! The thing is, there is ALOT of water in the cup after it defrosts. I don't think I want that in the food. It seems like alot of pollution.

I think I would freeze them first, then defrost and throw away all the water. Then I would add them into the food mix.
I used to freeze in-shell clams and mussels, then crack or pry them open. But now I put them in a bowl and microwave for 30-40 seconds ... just long enough make them open, but not to cook them. If they don't open, another 20 seconds usually does the trick.

As for the water, I used to drain them, be not anymore. I see it as being a bit like dosing amino acids and other nutrition for corals/filter feeders. It does lift my PO4 a little ... but not so much that it can't be managed same as usual with GFO, a refugium, etc.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 157 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.9%
Back