What’s your take on a shoal of damsels ??

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are videos in my build thread, Simon's 450. Damsels are small and hard to capture on a FTS video, but I think you'll get the idea.

OP
OP
D

DrewBrees713

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful tank, Simon!

As for dominoes, i wouldnt add them either unless i have a huge tank. At least 500g for sure.

Mal Cameron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whatever you get I wouldnt recommend a yellow damsel. Ive got one in my 400lt reef and its the biggest pain of any fish. Very aggressive but even worse it pushes corals around and then buries them.

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Azures, arnazae, springeri, talbot, rollandi, traceyi, and tricincta are all well behaved.

You could easily have 10+ in that size tank.

I have a springeri in a 50 gallon, but was told I couldn't add anymore damsels. Mine seems pretty low on the totem pole in my tank (2 ocellaris, sixline wrasse, bangaii cardinal, lyretail anthias, midas blenny), would I be able to add more damsels if they came from that list?

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of the chrysiptera damsels are OK. Any marine fish, under unfavorable conditions, can become aggressive. I'd never keep dominos, 3/4 stripes again. They are hyper aggressive and get ugly as they grow. But springers, YT, azure, Rolland's, Tracey or talbot are all fine with adequate space and not really wimpy tankmates.

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of the chrysiptera damsels are OK. Any marine fish, under unfavorable conditions, can become aggressive. I'd never keep dominos, 3/4 stripes again. They are hyper aggressive and get ugly as they grow. But springers, YT, azure, Rolland's, Tracey or talbot are all fine with adequate space and not really wimpy tankmates.

Thank you! It's my first saltwater tank so I'm trying to be smart about adding.. if I could find a tracey damsel I'd be all over that.

All of my fish seem to be willing to defend their areas, the most aggressive being the sixline (really hoping he/she isn't one of the psycho ones I've read about on here..) and maybe the cardinal. But I've kinda seen everyone flare up and chase some fish out of their particular areas, so the only things I can put in at this point are something that's able to defend itself a bit like a damsel.

OP
OP
D

DrewBrees713

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok slight change of plan. I picked up a standard 6 ft long RR tank today instead of a cube. Will add wet sand from the beach tomorrow and fill her up with water. Possibly stocking damsels this wkend.

So can i get away with 50 damsels of various kind and some other fish in the future, possibly tangs , angels, etc.?

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a picture of the various damsels I am currently keeping. There's 50-60 in total, though mostly yellow-tail.

IMG_0055.JPG

Haydn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK I'll put the cat among the pigeons;)

Google 'Chromis' ignore the 'green' ones and look at the others, Vanderbilt's, Black bar, Midget, Ambon to name a few, there are loads of them! They are all stunning little fish, they are damsels and peaceful(ish).

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
tried this twice- No more. was nice in the beginning and they became a herd of piranahs !!

wild-angry-piranha-hand-drawn-cartoon-vector-illustration.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
No, not this species as is rarely seen in Midwest stores

Marv

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard so many bad things about Damsels and had not considered them until recently. With my tank only being 30 gallons I'm very limited on the kind of fish I can have. After researching I decided to get the Azure damsel and what a nice addition. I'm planning an upgrade to a 125 gallon aquarium and I will definitely add more Azure damsels.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So what is the most peaceful damsel? Is it the Azure? what would be second?
My 120 show tank I want allot of smaller fish.
I was thinking a bunch of damsels, a bunch Royal Grammas, A bunch of anthias, and chromis and maybe a few chalk bass or anthias.

What would be the best ones are the most peaceful..

#1 and #2?

Last edited:

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 13 16.0%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 31 38.3%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 33 40.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back