What 2 part do you Acro heads prefer .

Recklessryan904

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my 480g reef that will be mainly acros is almost done cycling . What brands do you stick heads prefer . The last few years I’ve used oceans blend , but as I’m getting ready to starting bringing my ca, alk,mag up I’m interested in the aqua forest balling method ?

21D5E5D1-10D7-4531-BCD1-81440AE59C38.png

FEE4A2D7-6DE5-4794-BA50-32863A076C09.png

danreefman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might want to ditch 2 part and get a calcium reactor. And a alk controller.
Alk controller not necessary. But really helps for a very stable alkalinity.

Calcium reactor is a more natural way to give your coral nutrients. 2 part is a forced method.

I used bionic for years with great results, but not nearly as good as calcium reactor.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you against making your own? You can make it be exactly what you want. It is also about 90% cheaper.

This is exactly what I do using Randy's recipe HERE. I'm still using my original 50 pound bag of calcium that cost less than $20, and purchased around 2007. I'm guessing my yearly costs are around 5 bucks a year. :cool:

OP
OP
Recklessryan904

Recklessryan904

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve used calcium reactors and prefer the 2 part method as it’s simple for my wife to make tweaks to my ghl doser while I’m away .

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why did your CaRx need adjusting while you were away? I have never had to have my tank sitter touch my CaRx while I am gone.

In any case, if you change water, then just make your own. If you do not change water, then you might need some with some strontium, magnesium, etc. in it already, but you can overdose on these since you cannot control the input separately.

The huge bag of baking soda at Sams or Costco is about $8. Epsom Salts are cheap at Walgreens or CVS. 50 lb of DowFlake from a Tennis Supply shop or nearly any hardware store in a cold region is about $20. This can last for years and years. You can get some strontium chloride if you want. Dr. Holmes-Farley has a great tutorial as posted above.

markalot

Comic Relief
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used TLF C-Balance for years, but now have switched to Bulk Reef Supplies 2-part mix (Randy's Recipe). instead of $50 a month to feed a 150 gallon it's $15 a month. I like it. I do have to dose Mg now, which the commercial 2 parts have mixed in with calcium, but other than that no significant change.

OP
OP
Recklessryan904

Recklessryan904

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why did your CaRx need adjusting while you were away? I have never had to have my tank sitter touch my CaRx while I am gone.

In any case, if you change water, then just make your own. If you do not change water, then you might need some with some strontium, magnesium, etc. in it already, but you can overdose on these since you cannot control the input separately.

The huge bag of baking soda at Sams or Costco is about $8. Epsom Salts are cheap at Walgreens or CVS. 50 lb of DowFlake from a Tennis Supply shop or nearly any hardware store in a cold region is about $20. This can last for years and years. You can get some strontium chloride if you want. Dr. Holmes-Farley has a great tutorial as posted above.
I’ve never had to have the reactor adjusted while I’m away it’s if something goes wrong I feel like a doser is a lot easier to adjust for someone like my wife /friend of their is an emergency .

Seminoles76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use ESV and like it a lot.

Pros: Mag is included in the 2 part so no need to dose mag. Minor/Trace elements are added as well and supposedly consistent with nsw.

Cons: Price compared to other 2 part.

With a 480 gallon SPS dominant tank you will pay a pretty penny if you do go with ESV and will without a doubt wind up switching to another 2 part or reactor once things get growing. I would personally start with BRS 2 part with that big of a tank if you are set on going the 2 part way.

I have yet to do an ICP test to see how well ESV does with maintaining minor and trace elements.

Cheers,
Jared

OP
OP
Recklessryan904

Recklessryan904

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate the feedback . I like the 4 gallon jugs and hopefully a 10g reservoir will last pretty long . If I start going through an insane amount I’ll switch over to a geo reactor .
I use ESV and like it a lot.

Pros: Mag is included in the 2 part so no need to dose mag. Minor/Trace elements are added as well and supposedly consistent with nsw.

Cons: Price compared to other 2 part.

With a 480 gallon SPS dominant tank you will pay a pretty penny if you do go with ESV and will without a doubt wind up switching to another 2 part or reactor once things get growing. I would personally start with BRS 2 part with that big of a tank if you are set on going the 2 part way.

I have yet to do an ICP test to see how well ESV does with maintaining minor and trace elements.

Cheers,
Jared

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had this very thought bouncing in my head the last few weeks. I'm using TMPR salts with Seachem Reef Fusion 2 part(similar to ESV), on a weekly water change, and sometimes finding myself turning off the calcium dosing due to the high calcium concentration in the TMPR salts. This off/on dosing is recent after switching from fritz. However, I think you hit it on the nail for my situation. Thanks.

ikolbaba06

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve recently switched to bionic from brs two part. So far no issues and it seems more concentrated than brs two part.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I missed the 480g part. If you are serious about SPS, then you might want to strongly consider keeping your CaRx. Even in a 240g, I cannot evaporate enough water a day for 2 part to keep up - I would have to use fans, or dry chemicals. Large tanks with SPS are the textbook use for a CaRx.

OP
OP
Recklessryan904

Recklessryan904

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Down the road I will be switching over but the next few months I’ll be using my ghl Doser off my 180.

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I make my own using randys high ph recipe. I use food grade or pharma grade ingredients. It's cheap, clean, and tank stays stable.

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my 480g reef that will be mainly acros is almost done cycling . What brands do you stick heads prefer . The last few years I’ve used oceans blend , but as I’m getting ready to starting bringing my ca, alk,mag up I’m interested in the aqua forest balling method ?

21D5E5D1-10D7-4531-BCD1-81440AE59C38.png

FEE4A2D7-6DE5-4794-BA50-32863A076C09.png

With that size aquarium. You may also want to look into Calcium reactors.

OP
OP
Recklessryan904

Recklessryan904

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With that size aquarium. You may also want to look into Calcium reactors.
Eventually I will get a geo but until I setup my frag tank I want to use it to get the tank started and save me some money for a little bit .

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 33 30.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 28 25.9%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 22.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 23 21.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back