What algae is this? (Growing extremely fast, within an hour)

OP
OP
Subnautica

Subnautica

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: Tested Nitrate and Phosphate today.
Nitrate 10ppm
Phosphate: 0.05ppm

Should I use Vibrant?

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@saltyhog I'm pretty sure it's dino because it goes away when the light is off and comes back immediately when light is on.

I tend to think that too, but WHICH dino. That really can have an impact on how you treat it. The fact that it goes away with lights out suggests it might be ostreopsis or prorocentrum. That would mean UV would be very helpful.

OP
OP
Subnautica

Subnautica

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tend to think that too, but WHICH dino. That really can have an impact on how you treat it. The fact that it goes away with lights out suggests it might be ostreopsis or prorocentrum. That would mean UV would be very helpful.

I am thinking about getting a microscope to ID it. Will look up those 2 species to see if they resemble the one I have

OP
OP
Subnautica

Subnautica

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE: I finally got it under the scope! ID it please!

@saltyhog @Heart of Dixie @ScottR @Billldg @vetteguy53081 @homer1475

20200131_133818.jpg

20200131_133514.jpg

20200131_135005.jpg

Last edited:

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE: I finally got it under the scope! ID it please!

@saltyhog @Heart of Dixie @ScottR @Billldg @vetteguy53081 @homer1475

20200131_133818.jpg

20200131_133514.jpg
I think prorocentrum. Take a look at the guide below and tell what you think.

OP
OP
Subnautica

Subnautica

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming it’s prorocentrum, I would use UV. 1 watt UV per 3 gallons of tank water, hooked up to and from DT, at a rate of 1-3 tank volumes per hour.

Looking at the Pdf file I thought it looks more like Ostreopsis.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at the Pdf file I thought it looks more like Ostreopsis.
I’m a self confessed bad dino ID person. But I didn’t see the classic sesame seed shape of ostreopsis. But the good news is UV should help in either case.

OP
OP
Subnautica

Subnautica

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m a self confessed bad dino ID person. But I didn’t see the classic sesame seed shape of ostreopsis. But the good news is UV should help in either case.

Thank you. But I stuck with the UV now? Is there any other way to effectively kill them, like Vibrant, Waste-away, Hydrogen Peroxide,....?

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. But I stuck with the UV now? Is there any other way to effectively kill them, like Vibrant, Waste-away, Hydrogen Peroxide,....?
Dinos are really tough. If you read enough you will find that people have had successes and failures with just about every method you can think of. I encourage you to read more and decide for yourself.

When I was fighting dinos, I convinced myself that UV was the best for dinos that go into water column (most types except for amphidinium). Unfortunately for me, my biggest problem was amphidinium. I started, and still use UV, to keep down both prorocentrum and ostreopsis which I also found as well at times.

The most important thing is to make sure that you have conditions that encourage other organisms, like algaes and corals, to grow long term. Mostly this means measurable nitrates and phosphate.

OP
OP
Subnautica

Subnautica

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dinos are really tough. If you read enough you will find that people have had successes and failures with just about every method you can think of. I encourage you to read more and decide for yourself.

When I was fighting dinos, I convinced myself that UV was the best for dinos that go into water column (most types except for amphidinium). Unfortunately for me, my biggest problem was amphidinium. I started, and still use UV, to keep down both prorocentrum and ostreopsis which I also found as well at times.

The most important thing is to make sure that you have conditions that encourage other organisms, like algaes and corals, to grow long term. Mostly this means measurable nitrates and phosphate.

That makes sense. But I read that some people got their fish killed using UV.

Also now I feel like my dino looks more like amphidinium. There's no sesame shape and they're all rounded.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That makes sense. But I read that some people got their fish killed using UV.

Also now I feel like my dino looks more like amphidinium. There's no sesame shape and they're all rounded.
Your's aren't actually rounded... look closely and you'll see one end is slightly flattened like the prorocentrum.

eraserhead187

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amphidinium doesn't enter the water column at night, and it doesn't look at all like ostreopsis to me. I agree that it looks like prorocentrum. The UV will probably help tremendously. However, watch for other species to emerge to fill the gap once it is killed off.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amphidinium doesn't enter the water column at night, and it doesn't look at all like ostreopsis to me. I agree that it looks like prorocentrum. The UV will probably help tremendously. However, watch for other species to emerge to fill the gap once it is killed off.
I initially had small cell amphidinium predominantly... raised no3/po4 and let other algaes take hold some as well as attempting to add biodiversity with pods and MicroBacter7. Also dosed silicates to push a diatom bloom, but never saw it occur. I then did the Elegant Corals dino treatment which did eradicate the small cell amphidinium dinos... but then ostreopsis took hold... which was easily controlled with a UV sterilizer. Tank finally looks great... except for the cyano bloom that typically follows dino control!

eraserhead187

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I initially had small cell amphidinium predominantly... raised no3/po4 and let other algaes take hold some as well as attempting to add biodiversity with pods and MicroBacter7. Also dosed silicates to push a diatom bloom, but never saw it occur. I then did the Elegant Corals dino treatment which did eradicate the small cell amphidinium dinos... but then ostreopsis took hold... which was easily controlled with a UV sterilizer. Tank finally looks great... except for the cyano bloom that typically follows dino control!
Yep, that's how these little bas***ds roll. I went from ostreopsis to amphidinium to coolia, then to nothing.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ostreopsis to amphidinium+prorocentrum. I dosed Microbacter7, Waste Away, silicates, Nitrate, Phosphate and ran UV 24/7 (except for turning it off for a short time after adding bacteria. Never saw a diatom "bloom" but I gradually saw diatoms replace dinos on the slides I looked at. It was a long process but I've been dino free for several months now.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 74 75.5%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back