What Am I Missing???

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm gonna tag a couple of other people for advice on how to move forward now. Can you post a pic of the two remaining anthias below so they can confirm you do indeed have two males? And what to do about that. o_O

@evolved @eatbreakfast

OP
OP
kkgaskin90

kkgaskin90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm gonna tag a couple of other people for advice on how to move forward now. Can you post a pic of the two remaining anthias below so they can confirm you do indeed have two males? And what to do about that. o_O

@evolved @eatbreakfast

Absolutely. The one I thought was transitioning, currently has pop eye, is subsequently very shy. Please excuse my back glass... I feared cleaning it would prevent it from coming out at all. I'll keep trying, but here's the best video I can get of it.

Here's a picture from about 2 weeks ago:
10c0f9774676cc10b3252cce37e8ae1a.jpg

And here is the larger, more colorful of the two:
a5f57ba27cda7503f29a8f3f296df99e.jpg

@eatbreakfast weighed in a few weeks ago when I first thought I might have two males and seemed to think the smaller was not mature but on his way

robert

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Popeye can leave a fish blind - when this happens they tend to hole up and quit eating...
Its not necessarily that they get picked on - but they can't escape the occasional nip from their tankmates - they don't see it coming like a fish that can see...so the nips accumulate.

Tattered fins but no real damage - only eating whats just infront of them and holing up are the clues...not much you can do.

Any fish can get popeye - but whem more than one come down with it - its usually a sign that somethings amiss in the tank. Check you water quality...

OP
OP
kkgaskin90

kkgaskin90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Popeye can leave a fish blind - when this happens they tend to hole up and quit eating...
Its not necessarily that they get picked on - but they can't escape the occasional nip from their tankmates - they don't see it coming like a fish that can see...so the nips accumulate.

Tattered fins but no real damage - only eating whats just infront of them and holing up are the clues...not much you can do.

Any fish can get popeye - but whem more than one come down with it - its usually a sign that somethings amiss in the tank. Check you water quality...

I'm 99% certain the female I lost this morning was blind in that eye. She slowly came out more and more as she adjusted. Her Popeye was 100% caused by an abrasion. I saw the Kole Tang torment her and bite her eye.
The fish with the pop eye currently is absolutely blind in that eye, even if temporarily. He has several times come out to eat and not been able to find his way back to his cave.
Water parameters:
Temp-76
Specific Gravity-1.025
Ammonia-0
Nitrite-0
Nitrate-<5
pH-8.0
Phosphates-0.25

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Typically, popeye in one eye means an injury has occurred and the eye is swelling. You can sometimes relieve the swelling by dosing Epsom salt (reef safe) @ 1 tablespoon per 5 gals. If this doesn't help after a second dosage, then your only option is to treat with antibiotics.

Popeye in both eyes usually denotes a bacterial infection. Erythromycin is the antibiotic of choice for dealing with eye infections, and you can also add minocycline or tetracycline to this to widen the spectrum. Kanaplex and/or Furan-2 would be acceptable alternatives for the erythromycin/minocycline combo.

Cloudy eye(s) can mean either a bacterial infection or possibly flukes (see pic a bottom).

For all of the above, poor water quality would likely exacerbate symptoms.

Diplostomum_spathaceum.jpg

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bartletts are pretty aggressive with one another, larger groups help, but sometimes even then whittle each other down.

Bert has fully transitioned now, and is a beautiful male. Adding new ones to established bartletts can be difficult and not worth doing unless you add 5 or more.

Having just two bartletts can have one of two outcomes. They either coexist, or one kills the other.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@eatbreakfast So would you say in this scenario that keeping two roosters in the same tank is likely not gonna work out long-term?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@eatbreakfast So would you say in this scenario that keeping two roosters in the same tank is likely not gonna work out long-term?
In most cases I would avoid it with bartletts, but that being said I have had a customer that had only 2 males for the past year as the only 2 anthias and they have coexisted, so there are exceptions, but it is certainly not the norm.

robert

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Typically, popeye in one eye means an injury has occurred and the eye is swelling. You can sometimes relieve the swelling by dosing Epsom salt (reef safe) @ 1 tablespoon per 5 gals. If this doesn't help after a second dosage, then your only option is to treat with antibiotics.

Popeye in both eyes usually denotes a bacterial infection. Erythromycin is the antibiotic of choice for dealing with eye infections, and you can also add minocycline or tetracycline to this to widen the spectrum. Kanaplex and/or Furan-2 would be acceptable alternatives for the erythromycin/minocycline combo.

Cloudy eye(s) can mean either a bacterial infection or possibly flukes (see pic a bottom).

For all of the above, poor water quality would likely exacerbate symptoms.

Diplostomum_spathaceum.jpg
Popeye is always bacterial - when a single eye is involved it is commonly but not necessarily the result of injury and secondary infection.

When both eyes are involved - its usually the result of water quality issues - but again is generally bacterial.

Either way - the secondary infection can be a water quality issue. If you get two fish with it - WC should be suspect. Parameters tell part of ther story - the other would be water column bacterial load - but we can't measure that directly.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Popeye is always bacterial - when a single eye is involved it is commonly but not necessarily the result of injury and secondary infection.

When both eyes are involved - its usually the result of water quality issues - but again is generally bacterial.

Either way - the secondary infection can be a water quality issue. If you get two fish with it - WC should be suspect. Parameters tell part of ther story - the other would be water column bacterial load - but we can't measure that directly.
I feel HF denoted this as after stating treatment options for injury is that an antibacterial treatment would be the option if Epsom salt didn't work. Usually if the popeye is the secondary infection after injurybit is not as serious as it being the primary cause.

OP
OP
kkgaskin90

kkgaskin90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know Prazi was mentioned... Is this poo an indicator that maybe parasites *are* a problem, or is this normal? It's different from what the droppings previously looked like.

4677273e7b9301bb76cc72f2b4c267fe.jpg

4d86c0e5408afa8ae0ae4ae0e0a35198.jpg

2099633cfbec63dc31c80513c7172cda.jpg

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
White stringy poop is a symptom of internal parasites/worms. Prazipro usually takes care of this, but for some stubborn strains you have to use metronidazole.

OP
OP
kkgaskin90

kkgaskin90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
White stringy poop is a symptom of internal parasites/worms. Prazipro usually takes care of this, but for some stubborn strains you have to use metronidazole.

So this looks like internal parasites? Considering I can't even get the smaller one to leave the vicinity of his cave for food, can I use PraziPro in the display? I know it says reef safe, I'm just concerned about the ramifications.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this looks like internal parasites? Considering I can't even get the smaller one to leave the vicinity of his cave for food, can I use PraziPro in the display? I know it says reef safe, I'm just concerned about the ramifications.
Tube worms would be affected, but even sps is safe with prazi.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It's fairly reef safe, except for tube worms/feather dusters. One hidden danger is if you have a ton of those tiny dusters on your rocks or down in the sump, the resulting die-off could trigger an ammonia spike. Sometimes anemones and certain SPS (especially montis) seem a little stressed for the first few days after you dose.

OP
OP
kkgaskin90

kkgaskin90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many rounds and how many days apart would you guys suggest?
I do have quite a few tube worms, so I'll monitor closely. No Monti's and a resilient rock flower anemone hitchhiker.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many rounds and how many days apart would you guys suggest?
I do have quite a few tube worms, so I'll monitor closely. No Monti's and a resilient rock flower anemone hitchhiker.

Dose once, wait 5-7 days, do a 20-25% WC and then dose again. If symptoms persist after that, I'd try metro next (you can soak it in food.)

OP
OP
kkgaskin90

kkgaskin90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. I will do that. Thank you!
I do have Focus, which I assume is what I will use with Metro if it comes to that?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's fairly reef safe, except for tube worms/feather dusters. One hidden danger is if you have a ton of those tiny dusters on your rocks or down in the sump, the resulting die-off could trigger an ammonia spike. Sometimes anemones and certain SPS (especially montis) seem a little stressed for the first few days after you dose.

I just want to add that I had this experience after dosing Prazi to my DT. All my montis and other corals recovered nicely. Not all corals (i have quite a few different types) were affected either.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 36 47.4%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 16 21.1%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 18 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 7.9%
Back