What Am I Missing???

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. I will do that. Thank you!
I do have Focus, which I assume is what I will use with Metro if it comes to that?

Yes. I recently had an Eibli angel somehow slip thru the cracks of my QT protocol and entered my DT with internal parasites (displayed symptoms of white stringy poop). It took two weeks of soaking Focus & Metro in flake food, but he's been symptom free for two months now.

OP
OP
kkgaskin90

kkgaskin90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. I recently had an Eibli angel somehow slip thru the cracks of my QT protocol and entered my DT with internal parasites (displayed symptoms of white stringy poop). It took two weeks of soaking Focus & Metro in flake food, but he's been symptom free for two months now.

Everything in my tank has been QT'd and dewormed, so I guess something slipped through or is resistant to Prazi. I added it and my Birdsnest, Candy Cane, and Duncan are angry, but everything else looks ok so far.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything in my tank has been QT'd and dewormed, so I guess something slipped through or is resistant to Prazi. I added it and my Birdsnest, Candy Cane, and Duncan are angry, but everything else looks ok so far.

There are both prazi resistant flukes & intestinal worms. Which is why I've switched from using Prazipro in QT to "API General Cure" - which is a powder mix of both prazi & metro.

OP
OP
kkgaskin90

kkgaskin90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are both prazi resistant flukes & intestinal worms. Which is why I've switched from using Prazipro in QT to "API General Cure" - which is a powder mix of both prazi & metro.

Round 2, day 4 of PraziPro and I think I'm losing Bert, the larger male. He has stopped eating, lost weight, and is breathing heavily. The smaller male's Popeye has completely healed.
Can I use General Cure in display with their food?

Here is Bert:

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I use General Cure in display with their food?

Yes, but if Prazipro has already been dosed in the water you risk overdosing praziquantel as API General Cure also contains that as well as metronidazole. You would need to wait at least 72 hours for the prazi in Prazipro to expire from the water.

OP
OP
kkgaskin90

kkgaskin90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, but if Prazipro has already been dosed in the water you risk overdosing praziquantel as API General Cure also contains that as well as metronidazole. You would need to wait at least 72 hours for the prazi in Prazipro to expire from the water.

72 hours from adding? I added Prazi Friday evening. Also, is it reef safe as is or do I need to use the binder powder... The name is escaping me but I used it in conjunction with Kanaplex... Focus! That's it.

OP
OP
kkgaskin90

kkgaskin90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

72 hours from adding? I added Prazi Friday evening. Also, is it reef safe as is or do I need to use the binder powder... The name is escaping me but I used it in conjunction with Kanaplex... Focus! That's it.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

API GC is a prazi/metro mix in powder form. The prazi part of it is just as safe as dosing Prazipro, but the metro component gives me pause recommending using it in a reef tank. Even though I know people who have done it with no ill effects. o_O What bothers me is metro specifically targets (among other things) anaerobic bacteria - which is beneficial and lives in your rocks & substrate. :eek: So for this reason, it would be best to use Focus to bind it to food. And you can do this now, since it has been more than 72 hrs since dosing Prazipro. :)

OP
OP
kkgaskin90

kkgaskin90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
API GC is a prazi/metro mix in powder form. The prazi part of it is just as safe as dosing Prazipro, but the metro component gives me pause recommending using it in a reef tank. Even though I know people who have done it with no ill effects. o_O What bothers me is metro specifically targets (among other things) anaerobic bacteria - which is beneficial and lives in your rocks & substrate. :eek: So for this reason, it would be best to use Focus to bind it to food. And you can do this now, since it has been more than 72 hrs since dosing Prazipro. :)

Excellent, thank you! Do you have a dosage recommendation when using with food? And tips on how to encourage the Anthias that has stopped eating to consume it?
a3f91f83cff025c75bfec06ba29f70e3.jpg

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent, thank you! Do you have a dosage recommendation when using with food? And tips on how to encourage the Anthias that has stopped eating to consume it?

If memory serves, you said previously in this thread that you were treating with Kanaplex. If so, do you still have it and the little "measure spoon" that comes with it? To feed, blend 2 measure spoons worth of API GC with 1 tablespoon of food. Add to this 5 measure spoons of Focus to bind it. You may need to add a little SW to liquefy it enough to blend or you can add a little garlic juice to make it more palatable/desirable to eat.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a3f91f83cff025c75bfec06ba29f70e3.jpg

You could add some garlic to the mixture. It may entice him to eat.

OP
OP
kkgaskin90

kkgaskin90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If memory serves, you said previously in this thread that you were treating with Kanaplex. If so, do you still have it and the little "measure spoon" that comes with it? To feed, blend 2 measure spoons worth of API GC with 1 tablespoon of food. Add to this 5 measure spoons of Focus to bind it. You may need to add a little SW to liquefy it enough to blend or you can add a little garlic juice to make it more palatable/desirable to eat.

Yes! That's exactly what I just did. I'll add garlic juice next time to see if that encourages the one that I'm most concerned about. Thank you :) and this fish has not been treated with Kanaplex. I just have it on hand from a previous treatment.

Last edited:

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many days should I add it to food?

2-3 weeks. It took that long to clear my Eibli of intestinal worms soaking metro in food. I'm guessing it's not as effective doing it that way as it is dosing directly into the water column, so that's why it takes longer.

OP
OP
kkgaskin90

kkgaskin90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wow. Ok. I'll keep going then. Glad I asked, I was going to do two doses 48 hours apart [emoji51]

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry for your loss :(

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 10 12.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 25 30.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 14 17.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back