What Am I Missing???

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And if you have some Metroplex, dose that as well. Another relatively gentle med. I've had some luck treating a few mystery diseases by combining Metro + Kanaplex.

OP
OP
kkgaskin90

kkgaskin90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to suggest a FW dip to confirm/rule out flukes, but not sure the fish will live thru it. :confused:

I highly doubt he would survive. I don't think he's going to make it through the night. If he dies I'll put the body in FW to see if flukes come out.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I highly doubt he would survive. I don't think he's going to make it through the night. If he dies I'll put the body in FW to see if flukes come out.

Yeah. that's weird. He's definitely having a bad time of it. He seem to have some fight in him still though. He's working really hard to just stay in one place there.

OP
OP
kkgaskin90

kkgaskin90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And if you have some Metroplex, dose that as well. Another relatively gentle med. I've had some luck treating a few mystery diseases by combining Metro + Kanaplex.

I don't have Metroplex. Do I need to remove Matrix rock or just Carbon?

OP
OP
kkgaskin90

kkgaskin90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's still alive this morning. Not thriving, but seems to have found a calmer spot where he isn't fighting the current like last night. Once again food seemed to excite him-I really thought he would go after it-but he did not eat.

6c1a934239a719dadc37f2077b5584a2.jpg

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If he seems to be fighting against the flow a lot, I would turn it down a bit. Just be sure one powerhead is pointing towards the surface to provide enough gas exchange.

OP
OP
kkgaskin90

kkgaskin90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If he seems to be fighting against the flow a lot, I would turn it down a bit. Just be sure one powerhead is pointing towards the surface to provide enough gas exchange.

He was right in front of the HOB filter when fighting, and it's as low as it goes but oversized for the tank. The power head is toward the surface so hopefully now that he's found his calm spot he will do better

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have Metroplex... Should I order?
How long should I do Kanaplex?

It might help. Kanaplex is really good for bacterial diseases, while Metroplex has some anti-protozoan activity (it actually treats both brook & uronema, two nasty parasites.) Both meds are relatively mild on the fish. So when I can't figure out what's wrong with a fish that combo has sort of become my "go to" until I can get the fish stabilized and figure out what's really going on.

OP
OP
kkgaskin90

kkgaskin90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It might help. Kanaplex is really good for bacterial diseases, while Metroplex has some anti-protozoan activity (it actually treats both brook & uronema, two nasty parasites.) Both meds are relatively mild on the fish. So when I can't figure out what's wrong with a fish that combo has sort of become my "go to" until I can get the fish stabilized and figure out what's really going on.

He is much more active tonight. Leaving the sand bed to swim around his corner occasionally and going after food. He just finished 3 weeks of GC (which contains Metronidazole, correct?) on Monday in food... May or may not have eaten it... But in any case would giving it again build his immunity against it?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is much more active tonight. Leaving the sand bed to swim around his corner occasionally and going after food. He just finished 3 weeks of GC (which contains Metronidazole, correct?) on Monday in food... May or may not have eaten it... But in any case would giving it again build his immunity against it?

Totally forgot about that. :oops: Just stick with the Kanaplex for now.

OP
OP
kkgaskin90

kkgaskin90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my train of thought after watching him for a few days:
1) he is completely blind in the right eye.
2) he has diminished vision in the left eye.
3) he will eat if food is either extremely close or bumps up against his face.
4) he has thin, white, stringy poop.
5) he is neither improving nor getting worse.

SO. I believe he is either slowly starving because he can't adequately find food, OR there is an underlying infection/parasite causing problems. I treated with Kanaplex, and then today decided that, based on his eating habits, there's no way he got enough General Cure in his food to make any difference. So I went ahead and added General Cure to the tank this morning. It will either make a difference and he will improve, or not... I not quite sure what to think/do if not.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The white stingy poop is definitely intestinal worms of some sort. Like you said, he probably didn't ingest enough of the prazi/metro mix while in the DT to make enough of an impact. But if you dosing it in QT now, combined with Kanaplex, then IMO you are doing all you can for him right now.

OP
OP
kkgaskin90

kkgaskin90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, that makes me feel better. Still feels a bit hopeless with his eating issues, but trying. The Kanaplex was over 48 hours ago. Should I/Can I repeat that dose while using GC?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, that makes me feel better. Still feels a bit hopeless with his eating issues, but trying. The Kanaplex was over 48 hours ago. Should I/Can I repeat that dose while using GC?

Yes. Kanamycin, praziquantel and metronidazole are all fully compatible so long as all 3 are dosed in powder form.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's not doing too hot. What exactly are you doing for him at this moment? Meds wise? I know you did one dose of Kanaplex.... Did you do another? Or add the other meds to it?

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 51 39.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 11.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 36 28.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 24 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%

Back