What Am I Missing???

scardall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sometimes magnesium sulphate will help popeye. The same stuff you use to raise magnesium with. make sure your mag isn't close to 1500ppm already.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get it in QT and take some pics. Give us a good description of what you are seeing with the fish once he doesn't have rocks to hide behind.

OP
OP
kkgaskin90

kkgaskin90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get it in QT and take some pics. Give us a good description of what you are seeing with the fish once he doesn't have rocks to hide behind.

What will I need to match? I have a QT up and running for wrasses... It's got sand and rocks but I can take rocks out easily

OP
OP
kkgaskin90

kkgaskin90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Breathing is very shallow. Not necessarily fast. Thin and pale but not as bad as the others were just before death. Eye that was popeyed is sunken and nonmobile. Other eye might be popeyed... Can't get a good look but it is mobile.

5ce0c0c56ca5a5b293c4c1172af8ec03.jpg

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you ever try the FW dip on this fish or any of the other ones right after they died?

OP
OP
kkgaskin90

kkgaskin90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I have not. Was never able to catch the first and never found a body for the second.

Temp and SG were the same already. Here he is (sorry my kids are super interested):

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that eye might be sightless now. It's definitely sunken in and immobile. Not to mention the lack of reaction to tiny fingers right in front of it. Your kids are cute by the way. :)

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn't you say you saw white stringy poop coming out of him? Still got some of that GC?

OP
OP
kkgaskin90

kkgaskin90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn't you say you saw white stringy poop coming out of him? Still got some of that GC?

That was the second one that died a month ago. I have not seen this one poop-it has been hidden for a very long time. Almost a month since I've seen it come out to eat. It did not eat today when I put garlic soaked mysis in the tank... I saw he was out of his cave an decided to see if he'd go for it. Seemed excited but did not go after any.

I just stopped GC Monday.

OP
OP
kkgaskin90

kkgaskin90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that eye might be sightless now. It's definitely sunken in and immobile. Not to mention the lack of reaction to tiny fingers right in front of it. Your kids are cute by the way. :)

Thank you! Tiny fingers are no good for stressed, sick fish.
I agree. I don't think the other one is functioning well either, if at all. He did not react to the net coming, hasn't tried to hide in the QT... Though he has kept the "blind" eye to the glass, so maybe.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Realized that didn't answer the question... Yes, I have more GC

What other meds do you have on hand? This is sort of a quagmire because other than the blind eye and lack of appetite, there are no other symptoms. I'm a bit stumped.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What other meds do you have on hand? This is sort of a quagmire because other than the blind eye and lack of appetite, there are no other symptoms. I'm a bit stumped.

He actually doesn't look that bad does he? Besides the eye and not eating. I really dont see the "skinny" part either. Maybe it's the distortion from the camera and glass.

OP
OP
kkgaskin90

kkgaskin90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I know :( and truly he *might* be ok, except for the vision and being skinny... My thoughts are the others died of a Prazi resistant fluke that he didn't get/was treated with the GC, and he's now skinny and/or dying because he can't see to eat. OR he has the flukes or any of a myriad of other things.

I have on hand GC, Kanaplex, Furan-2, Prazi, and Cupramine. He has been through all but Kanaplex and Cupramine.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He actually doesn't look that bad does he? Besides the eye and not eating. I really dont see the "skinny" part either. Maybe it's the distortion from the camera and glass.

I'd like to suggest a FW dip to confirm/rule out flukes, but not sure the fish will live thru it. :confused:

OP
OP
kkgaskin90

kkgaskin90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

He does look pretty bad. He's skinny (hard to get a good angle) and now going sideways. I don't think he will make it through the night.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He has been through all but Kanaplex and Cupramine.

Dose Kanaplex (for now). The loss of vision was probably due to a bacterial infection and it might still be lingering. Kanaplex is readily absorbed by the fish's skin and is pretty mild so I can't see it hurting anything. Just don't want to hit him with too many meds at once.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He does look pretty bad. He's skinny (hard to get a good angle) and now going sideways. I don't think he will make it through the night.

If he doesn't then do the FW dip anyway with just plain tap water. That way you can see if it was flukes or not

I hope he makes it though!!

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 49 41.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 10.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 28.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 22 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.7%
Back