What Am I Missing???

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There has to be a disease in play here. Any visible symptoms? Any behavioral symptoms like heavy breathing, flashing, scratching, head twitching, etc.?

OP
OP
kkgaskin90

kkgaskin90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing visual. When the other two stopped eating they looked roughed up, but not awful. This guy doesn't look roughed up at all, but also doesn't come out except to eat, so now not ever. I can see into the back side of his hole so I know he's still alive. The other two started heavy breathing the day they died. No flashing, scratching, or twitching.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may have already asked you this already, but have you ever tried doing a FW dip to check for flukes?

OP
OP
kkgaskin90

kkgaskin90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I have not. I can't catch this guy without tearing down either :/ he's under the lowest rock

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I have not. I can't catch this guy without tearing down either :/ he's under the lowest rock

Just wondering if flukes could be in play here. I know you treated with Prazipro, but I have run across prazi resistant flukes a few times. I guess I've got flukes on my mind because both wrasses & anthias seem to be especially susceptible to them. I'm guessing all your other fish are fine?

OP
OP
kkgaskin90

kkgaskin90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would the General Cure do anything to combat them if it is flukes?
The other two, a flame Hawkfish and sleeper goby, seem ok. The Hawkfish is very small though I've had him 2 years. The goby could be skinny? Not sure though. He eats but doesn't seem to gain weight. The Hawkfish may not have eaten today, but I was paying attention to the Anthias so could have missed it.

d401f75e9a7786845fe33466096dc829.jpg

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would the General Cure do anything to combat them if it is flukes?
The other two, a flame Hawkfish and sleeper goby, seem ok. The Hawkfish is very small though I've had him 2 years. The goby could be skinny? Not sure though. He eats but doesn't seem to gain weight. The Hawkfish may not have eaten today, but I was paying attention to the Anthias so could have missed it.

GC contains metro, so that should clear any intestinal worms. Unfortunately, I cannot say that metro is reef safe (even though I know crazy people who have done it ;).)

OP
OP
kkgaskin90

kkgaskin90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I'm on day 7 of general cure + focus in my reef tank. Knock on wood nothing seems to mind it.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I'm on day 7 of general cure + focus in my reef tank. Knock on wood nothing seems to mind it.

You are binding it to food using Focus, correct? That is reef safe. These people I know are dosing it directly into their reef tank (against my better judgement.)

OP
OP
kkgaskin90

kkgaskin90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are binding it to food using Focus, correct? That is reef safe. These people I know are dosing it directly into their reef tank (against my better judgement.)

Ah, ok, yes-I am binding it to food.

If this guy doesn't make it, is there a way to fish autopsy for flukes?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If this guy doesn't make it, is there a way to fish autopsy for flukes?

Drop the body in tap water. In less than 5 minutes you should see tiny white worms fall out if flukes are present. Using a dark bucket/container makes the flukes easier to see.

OP
OP
kkgaskin90

kkgaskin90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it's still alive. I still haven't seen it eat but I'm assuming it *has* to be eating, right? It's very hard to see... I only get glimpses of an eye or tail through the hole, but it doesn't leave it's cave. Three weeks of GC is over so I guess it's just a wait and see game at this point.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'd be surprised how long fish can go without eating. :( But you are right, all you can do is wait & see what happens now. He'll either start coming out into the open or .....

OP
OP
kkgaskin90

kkgaskin90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'd be surprised how long fish can go without eating. :( But you are right, all you can do is wait & see what happens now. He'll either start coming out into the open or .....

Almost a month? Gosh... I had a neighbor come feed when I was going to be gone for the weekend!

The Hawkfish and goby have both been fed the same General Cure in food... Should they be ok despite the outcome of this Anthias? Or if it somehow survived in the Anthias (since Anthias may not be eating medicated food) would it move to them once the Anthias perished?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost a month? Gosh... I had a neighbor come feed when I was going to be gone for the weekend!

I once had a CBB survive 6 weeks in QT without eating anything. :eek:

The Hawkfish and goby have both been fed the same General Cure in food... Should they be ok despite the outcome of this Anthias? Or if it somehow survived in the Anthias (since Anthias may not be eating medicated food) would it move to them once the Anthias perished?

It's really hard to say. If the Anthias hasn't been eating the medicated food, then the other fish could keep getting reinfected with intestinal worms by eating his white stringy poop. Fish have this thing about eating each other's poo. :rolleyes:

OP
OP
kkgaskin90

kkgaskin90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I once had a CBB survive 6 weeks in QT without eating anything. :eek:

It's really hard to say. If the Anthias hasn't been eating the medicated food, then the other fish could keep getting reinfected with intestinal worms by eating his white stringy poop. Fish have this thing about eating each other's poo. :rolleyes:

Hm. Is it possible to overdose Metronidazole/Prazi? I.e. Should I continue General Cure, or take a break and start again, or just wait and see?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible to overdose Metronidazole/Prazi?

Prazi - yes (especially with wrasses); Metro - not so much.

Should I continue General Cure, or take a break and start again, or just wait and see?

I would just wait & see for now. If you continue to feed the meds too much, the fish could build immunity.

OP
OP
kkgaskin90

kkgaskin90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is out and I believe I can catch it... It's not in good shape, but I could give it a good last ditch effort... Any ideas? Freshwater dip? What would I need to match and how long?

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 30 34.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 13.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 28 32.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 15 17.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back