What are some of the prettiest reef safe fish you have in your tank.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copper Banded Butterfly.
CBB2018111901.jpg

Peach02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for a good list of really pretty reef safe fish. Im wanting some stuff that has some bright color like a tang. Just seeing what is out there I might not have seen or thought of.
I’ve got a mandarin fish that’s gorgeous a bicolour blenny that has great personality and I was lucky with my coral beauty in that it has shown no signs of hurting corals and looks great

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love this guy have one in my tank. Strawberry Dottyback

cr=w:458,h:229
This is an Orchid Dottyback, Pseudochromis fridmani. Not strawberry dottyback, Pseudochromis porphyreus. Orchid is a much better fish, more beautiful and much much less aggressive. The strawberry color is lighter and fins are clear, slight different body shape and doe not have black line across the eyes.
You are lucky that you have an Orchid. If you truly have a Strawberry you won't like it at all.

Wicky48

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is an Orchid Dottyback, Pseudochromis fridmani. Not strawberry dottyback, Pseudochromis porphyreus. Orchid is a much better fish, more beautiful and much much less aggressive. The strawberry color is lighter and fins are clear, slight different body shape and doe not have black line across the eyes.
You are lucky that you have an Orchid. If you truly have a Strawberry you won't like it at all.
YES! Sorry I keep calling him Strawberry because I had one and don't seem to be able the change the name. The fish I changed because yes he was a terrible tank mate!!! Thanks for the correction.

tnyr5

Tony
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you asked for fish you may not have considered (and based on other replies, I'm capping the price at around $400, many are much cheaper):
- Apogon luteus
- Cirrhilabrus nahackyi - pics do them no justice. As with all fairies, get a small female and watch it grow up.
- Cirrhilabrus naokoae
- Ecsenius pictus
- Ecsenius tigris
- Liopropoma mowbrayi
- Liopropoma eukrines
- Plesiops coerulineatus - not really pretty per se, but very cute. They will hide in the rocks until feeding time, when you will see lighting-fast fish blurs zipping out to catch food.

U

User1

View Badges
A couple years ago I read an article by Mr. Joshi entitled, "Pushing the Boundaries and Breaking the Mold - Plesiops Corallicola - (Bluegill Longfin) and I have to say it has been my favorite fish (I've never owned one but want to). Hopefully I can post the image, with credits, and the article. The color and facial lines are stunning to say the least.

I've not seen them for sale and I do not believe my tank is ready for one let alone if my fish and invert plans would allow one - so I may have to find a similar color scheme and look be it in a Starry Blenny or possible Marine Beta (which again has its own eating habits for what I want to keep). Anyway, this would be my entry.

https://reefs.com/2011/07/06/pushin...e-mold-plesiops-corallicola-bluegill-longfin/

Image below was one of 3 or 4 in the article and I think it is curtesy of the author Mr. Joshi. I've always wanted to thank him for that simple article because it is what keeps me in the hobby although I may never own one.
upload_2019-4-5_15-2-27.png

Wicky48

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple years ago I read an article by Mr. Joshi entitled, "Pushing the Boundaries and Breaking the Mold - Plesiops Corallicola - (Bluegill Longfin) and I have to say it has been my favorite fish (I've never owned one but want to). Hopefully I can post the image, with credits, and the article. The color and facial lines are stunning to say the least.

I've not seen them for sale and I do not believe my tank is ready for one let alone if my fish and invert plans would allow one - so I may have to find a similar color scheme and look be it in a Starry Blenny or possible Marine Beta (which again has its own eating habits for what I want to keep). Anyway, this would be my entry.

https://reefs.com/2011/07/06/pushin...e-mold-plesiops-corallicola-bluegill-longfin/

Image below was one of 3 or 4 in the article and I think it is curtesy of the author Mr. Joshi. I've always wanted to thank him for that simple article because it is what keeps me in the hobby although I may never own one.
upload_2019-4-5_15-2-27.png
[/QUOTE

Very interesting and beautiful. Looks kinda like but different then Marine Betta.

Back