What are some uses for skimmate

  • Thread starter Thread starter enzo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
But I wouldn't have put it on the plants.
 
It was suggested to me to dump some back in my system to help increase my nitrates, something I have not yet done.
In that case, just stop skimming :)
 
Not only does skimming remove poop, it also removes AND CONCENTRATES various coral toxins, none of which we probably want to add back to a tank or mangrove forest. :cool:
 
I've dumped skimmate back into my tank several times. It foams up the water near the pump at first but then it is all good.
 
Any ideas? I was thinking to use it in my garden as fertilizer.
Any ideas? I was thinking to use it in my garden as fertilizer.
bad idea - it contains salt which will kill the plants and compromise the soil. without the salt it would be a great fertilizer. :(
 
It was suggested to me to dump some back in my system to help increase my nitrates, something I have not yet done.

Wouldn't you just turn your skimmer off for a day a week or something instead? Seems counter productive to take waste to out to literally put it straight back in haha.

As for use of skimmate, I like the mouthwash idea [emoji23][emoji23]
 
I like taking it and putting it in a bag and then sitting in front of my neighbors house and setting the back on fire.
 

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 5.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 5 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 14 20.3%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 19 27.5%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 13.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 3 4.3%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 11.6%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 6 8.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new