What are the coolest, most exotic things that could be theoretically kept in the home aquarium?

rennjidk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I realize that it's a bit of a loaded question, especially in this hobby, and that people's opinions are subjective. Maybe I've just seen too many Attenborough documentaries, but if you could create a truly specialized and unique tank filled with deep sea oddities of evolution and bioluminescence, what would you keep and why?

Mine would have to be the Barreleye
barreleye1-350.jpg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always thought chimera sharks were cute. Vampire squid and argonauts are very cool. Or how about a giant siphonovore?

@ISpeakForTheSeas @i cant think got any cool ideas?
Absolutely chimaera, but I will always say ‘Clide’ aka the Telescope Fish (Gigantura chuni);
IMG_6047.jpeg

Last edited:

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think for Bioluminesence and really cool behavior you have to build a tank for Cuttle Fish.

It doesn't have to be huge, but the movement, colors, interarction and personalities is pretty wild.

And this is something that is attainable and reasonable to keep for the experienced hobbyist.

Dave B

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
These stars are available however keeping them alive and healthy long term is almost impossible - I knew one person who managed it but she gave up the hobby a while ago unfortunately.
It lists them as plantivores. Are they purely filter feeders? How different would care be compared to other filter feeders like Christmas tree worms?

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 18 28.1%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 22 34.4%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 14 21.9%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 8 12.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.1%
Back