What are the little bugs in my tank?

paigee3314

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I have not been in the hobby for that long but I do know a good bit. I just recently noticed these little tiny bugs everywhere in my tank and I don’t know what they are. I have 5 different kinds of zoas in my tank but they seem to really like the one in the picture I’ve attached, they swarm it to the point it stays closed most of the time. They also really like my gsp to the point where it stays mostly closed as well, which is also a picture I’ve attached. They’re not only on the corals though, they’re spread out everywhere in the tank. I was thinking it’s just a bunch of little snails but they moved very fast as if they’re walking, could it be amphipods? If so, is it bad to have that big of an explosion with them? The tank is a 14 gallon, I haven’t had any fish in there for a good while now. Is there any fish or shrimp that would help that I could add and it would be okay in the size aquarium that I have?
IMG_3933.jpeg

IMG_3934.jpeg
IMG_3935.jpeg

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So many opinions!
I am leaning towards Ostracods, not only because of the shape but also description of fast movement.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P

paigee3314

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So many opinions!
I am leaning towards Ostracods, not only because of the shape but also description of fast movement.
IMG_3841.jpeg

This is an up close picture of it, I also just realized yesterday that there are thousands and thousands of them in my sponge filter. I don’t know what to do, are they good or bad?

Upvote 0

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_3841.jpeg

This is an up close picture of it, I also just realized yesterday that there are thousands and thousands of them in my sponge filter. I don’t know what to do, are they good or bad?
Yeah, looks like ostracods - they should be harmless/beneficial (I basically just think of them as another kind of "pod").

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 25 14.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 14.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 96 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 7.1%
Back