What are the most underrated fish?

A lieutenant tang for sure... velvety gray and turns from that color to a pale yellow or even jet black in an instant.


Yes! I love my Lieutenant tang. He's a real beast... nearly 2" wide but only about 9" long. :0) I love it when he's in his "black" phase which isn't often. But the color is amazing.
 
I know this is an old thread- but wanted to add my favorite underrated fish.
The file fish! Specifically the saddle mimic puffer file fish beautiful fish! I know most think of file fish as ugly- and only for aptasia eating. I have two regular file fish- they eat flakes and pellets mysis etc. - and are very active and great personality. After realizing I really liked these I searched for others. I ran a cross the mimic and have been on the hunt for one ever since!
They seem really cheap- if your can find one (live aquaria $18.99- but never in stock)

here’s a photo I found online:

1611254922269.jpeg

They are peaceful and beautiful. Look like a puffer- but totally reef safe.

can’t wait to find some to add to my tanks.

take care and HAPPY REEFING!
 
Let's bump this up again!
 
Some pics of the Blue Caribbean Tang that you never hear about or read about. Just added one to my QT. Tiny. 1-1/2”.

Last pic is mine.

E92DA685-F614-4B62-915C-EE6BCFC343EF.jpeg 66980536-6969-4189-9870-688324AD3E40.jpeg 7EC1CE8E-4CCF-42BC-BBC3-39AA5BD1BEB5.jpeg 9717484C-4A00-4E14-9CE7-F85A9D681CA9.jpeg 7F37D104-D64F-4845-BD7E-DB98B3E50FA0.jpeg A78BC113-A35A-4635-9DF6-20F9470CEFA3.jpeg BABA2123-ADE1-4164-86FC-E2DF766F272D.jpeg
 
Forceps butterfly , smart interesting tough durable smart , easy to feed , not to be kept in a bully tank..happy 4th..
 
Koumansetta rainfordi
Honestly bought this guy to get over a free shipping but over time its really bloomed into a magnificent fish. I just wish my camera would pick up the the cyan lines that border the orange lines.
IMG_2400.jpeg

IMG_1975.JPG

Forgive my photo editing below: The candy cane goby?
IMG_1975 (1).JPG
 
Sailfin blennies for sure!
great little nano fish. I used to have a group of three that all claimed different holes in the same rock, so fun to watch them interact and flash their sails at each other. Turned into hilarious little torpedoes at feeding time as well
 
Eibli Tang. I think so many people look over this fish. It really is a really good looking fish and it’s your closest alternative to a Eibli Angelfish. These also don’t need a huge tank either.
1671247707536.png
 
I'm going to bump this again! Let's see some more underrated fish!
 
Tilefish are one of the funnest fish I’ve ever owned. Mine loves to eat and will even eat out of my hand!
IMG_4623.jpeg
 
The good ol standard Ocellaris clownfish. Everyone's looking for designer clowns and easily forget Nemo!

1579813282505.png
I agree, I love my little OCellaris girl. I also have a Picasso male, but the Ocellaris keeps him in line :smirking-face:
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 11 45.8%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 4.2%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 8.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new