What are these??? Pests???

Makubex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are these? Limpit snails? Is like theyre drilled on the walls right now as I can barely scratch them out, I have white dots too(could it be their eggs?) this tank however is gonna be a freshwater soon

FA5D856B-E940-4972-B6F0-8CC231A28113.jpeg

OP
OP
M

Makubex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They dont "move" though they look EXACTLY like this:

Attachments

• EAA5BB91-A5AB-416F-B086-1BF4E9548480.jpeg
    EAA5BB91-A5AB-416F-B086-1BF4E9548480.jpeg
    126 KB · Views: 49

SaltyShel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These things I circled are all the same exact critter that you can see zoomed up (with the black spot on it). That picture is the underside of whatever it is. It’s definitely a snail, I can see it’s mouth moving in the video, but I can’t post videos on here since they won’t load. But it’s all the same thing in all three pictures, just different angles. The zoomed up underside is a super magnified image, they’re very small creatures. Some are even tinier. I haven’t been able to get an official ID, I was incorrectly told it’s a pyramid snail (by the same LFS which told me to kill all my livestock, bleach my tank, and basically get over it because “there is no difference between one life and another) and was then showed what an actual pyramid snail is, thanks to Facebook and the Pest Database website. If your critters look like mine, yes I think that is a limpet. Best guess at least lol. Some don’t have holes in the top of their shell though. Unless I just can’t see if there’s a hole or not.

Attachments

• C3DD9CB5-4BF8-4BF8-BC3C-F6F247CEA379.jpeg
    C3DD9CB5-4BF8-4BF8-BC3C-F6F247CEA379.jpeg
    163.8 KB · Views: 47
  • 9C6951D0-C9E0-47BA-B638-279AEF0A05D0.jpeg
    9C6951D0-C9E0-47BA-B638-279AEF0A05D0.jpeg
    164 KB · Views: 26
  • 8D2098BA-E488-411A-89D2-43FDFA593E73.png
    8D2098BA-E488-411A-89D2-43FDFA593E73.png
    687 KB · Views: 31

Uzidaisies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These things I circled are all the same exact critter that you can see zoomed up (with the black spot on it). That picture is the underside of whatever it is. It’s definitely a snail, I can see it’s mouth moving in the video, but I can’t post videos on here since they won’t load. But it’s all the same thing in all three pictures, just different angles. The zoomed up underside is a super magnified image, they’re very small creatures. Some are even tinier. I haven’t been able to get an official ID, I was incorrectly told it’s a pyramid snail (by the same LFS which told me to kill all my livestock, bleach my tank, and basically get over it because “there is no difference between one life and another) and was then showed what an actual pyramid snail is, thanks to Facebook and the Pest Database website. If your critters look like mine, yes I think that is a limpet. Best guess at least lol. Some don’t have holes in the top of their shell though. Unless I just can’t see if there’s a hole or not.
Yeah it’s a certain type of limpet with the hole. I was thinking there’s a barnacle that looks like a limpet that has a small hole but now I don’t remember if that’s right. Those pictures are limpets.

Last edited:

Uzidaisies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately no they do not
I read that limpets move out with the tide but return to the same spot when the tide comes back in. Or something like that. So I don’t know if they just sit in one place in an aquarium or what. But certainly looks like limpets to me.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Limpets, they move but slow. They are eating your algae and helping out. You can see the mouth and eyestalk things in your pic.

SaltyShel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Limpets, they move but slow. They are eating your algae and helping out. You can see the mouth and eyestalk things in your pic.
Yes they definitely move, just slowly. So they’re not a pest? I don’t need to get rid of them? Also, do they harm coral? If these guys are eating all the algae, are they going to starve out my urchin, turbo snails, and red hermits?

SaltyShel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it’s a certain type of limpet with the hole. I was thinking there’s a barnacle that looks like a limpet that has a small hole but now I don’t remember if that’s right. Those pictures are limpets.
Thank you, after seeing them on the pest database I thought that’s what they were. Where do they even come from? I haven’t added any new corals, all I have is a couple mushroom coral that came from my dads tank but the coral have been in my tank for a while.

Darren in Tacoma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Limpets are very cool. They do in fact graze all night, then return to the exact same spot. As they grow their shell will take on the contour of the rock they are resting on and create a seal that is not only water tight, but is impervious to predators. They are able to fix themselves so securely that If a limpet is removed from a rock it may kill it due to the force required.
They are good algae eaters in your tank but are likely too small to have any real impact. They can, however, get into power heads and such, requiring a little extra maintenance.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes they definitely move, just slowly. So they’re not a pest? I don’t need to get rid of them? Also, do they harm coral? If these guys are eating all the algae, are they going to starve out my urchin, turbo snails, and red hermits?

Not a pest, no. They will get into places your bigger cuc can’t. They also breed and are self sustaining. I would consider hitchhiker snails often better then ones we can buy.

Back