What are these !!?

Nelson Vargas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no idea what they are my friend picked them up from the beach and put them in his sump. Will like to know what they are.

731C57C2-7DDE-4EF7-916D-E1A1003AEA27.jpeg

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are in my friends 120G. He has a hunch laying around on the sump. If they perish will it be an issue nutrient wise ? @Dsnakes
I don’t think they would cause much of a spike in a 120. They likely wouldn’t all die at once either. I would expect a slow die off as they starve. I think they like cooler water as well. I think there are several threads on here about them.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just added some live rock to a new build (45 gallon) and found a couple of tiny clams. I found the clean shells a couple of days later. They were basically picked clean by a hitchhiker crab I believe and caused no issue.

RocketBunny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no idea what they are my friend picked them up from the beach and put them in his sump. Will like to know what they are.

731C57C2-7DDE-4EF7-916D-E1A1003AEA27.jpeg
Known as burrowing mussels. The two tubes are for feeding, they are filter feeders. I have a lot of them in my sump, and they are fat and happy. Not a parasite... just a simple clam-mussel.

Also known as inter-tidal burrowing clams.

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Known as burrowing mussels. The two tubes are for feeding, they are filter feeders. I have a lot of them in my sump, and they are fat and happy. Not a parasite... just a simple clam-mussel.

Also known as inter-tidal burrowing clams.

Are you specifically target feeding them? How long have you had them?

RocketBunny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you specifically target feeding them? How long have you had them?
I don't target feed them, I have some in my dp tank and most are in sump... The ones in the sump are happier. They just filter out planktonic organisms and nitrates from water... they also are a food source for my blue leg hermits...

I collected them from a beach 5 months ago, still living

Last edited:

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't target feed them, I have some in my dp tank and most are in sump... The ones in the sump are happier. They just filter out planktonic organisms and nitrates from water... they also are a food source for my blue leg hermits...

I collected them from a beach 5 months ago, still living

Interesting. Are you adding phyto to your tank?

RocketBunny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. Are you adding phyto to your tank?
I use NSW, so there is always a ton of microorganisms in there. I don't filter it, I just simply dump it after I made sure that parameters are correct.

I did dose phyto some time ago, but it was all a waste. The phyto they sell here is mostly garbage.

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Incredible you are able to do that. Bypass all the dosing and go straight to the source. No wonder they are thriving in your system.

SickBoyNH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use NSW, so there is always a ton of microorganisms in there. I don't filter it, I just simply dump it after I made sure that parameters are correct.

I did dose phyto some time ago, but it was all a waste. The phyto they sell here is mostly garbage.

What made it garbage? I just got a Blue Maxima and am target feeding phyto. I think I found a great source https://www.agcorefishfood.com/store/p23/Ocean_Cocktail_Live_Phytoplankton_(6_oz).html
What makes yours garbage? What do I look for?

RocketBunny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What made it garbage? I just got a Blue Maxima and am target feeding phyto. I think I found a great source https://www.agcorefishfood.com/store/p23/Ocean_Cocktail_Live_Phytoplankton_(6_oz).html
What makes yours garbage? What do I look for?
No I meant to say that the company that made the plankton sold it spoiled... All I did was pour ammonia/decay into my tank, even though the expiration date said I have a LOT of time..

So yeah. No more plankton.. I lost corals because of this... Unless I culture my own, I won't dose any commercial plankton. There is enough of it in NSW that I'm using ... I'm not saying that the company is horrible, or that you shouldn't dose, I was just unlucky enough to get spoiled plankton... and I'm not doing it again...

Sorry that I didn't clarify

RocketBunny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Incredible you are able to do that. Bypass all the dosing and go straight to the source. No wonder they are thriving in your system.
Lol. I do dose things like calcium and magnesium once in a while... But I don't dose microorganisms like copepods or plankton... I rely on the ocean to do that:)

CoralGuy19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn’t know these could even survive! Might have to pick a few of these up next time I’m at the beach

RocketBunny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn’t know these could even survive! Might have to pick a few of these up next time I’m at the beach
It depends on your tank, I noticed they like bigger tanks with a deeper sand bed. My sister picked some up and put them in her nano tank, and they died within 3 days. Mine are still good... I don't know the reasons why they are good in my tank, but they simply are...

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 190 71.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 19 7.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 50 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.6%
Back