What are your Doser Settings for Core7?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious what your doser schedules are like for core 7.

Specifically I trying to figure out an easy way to manage my dosing over the entire 24 hour period (especially the alk components) with ease of management when updating dose amounts. The problem I'm encountering is how to maintain the min 5 min gap between solutions without really complicating things in terms of doser scheduling. If I set up my DOS doser to dose a specific amount over 24 hours and stagger the start times I'm concerned about either simultaneous dosing or insufficient rest time between solutions. Any ideas on how to manage this easily with the time gaps between solutions?

I'm currently using 16 manual intervals as follows to ensure time gaps and no simultaneous dosing among the various solutions but this is getting really annoying to update regularly.

upload_2018-12-13_10-11-14.png

Last edited:

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my setup I have the Fusion set up to dose 12 ml of each of the Core 7 supplements from the start time of 00:00 to the end time of 23:59. It is dosed directly into the return flow into the sump where it is very turbulent.

I guess if you wanted to separate it by five minutes each you could stagger the individual start/stop times by 5 minutes as such,

Dos 1, Start 00:00, Stop 23:44

Dos 2, Start 00:05, Stop 23:49

Dos 3, Start 00:10, Stop 23:54

Dos 4, Start 00:15, Stop 23:59

This should dose equal portions throughout the day. Then you can adjust the dosage quantity of each supplement without changing the schedule.

I haven’t personally tried to do this, but I believe it should work. Good luck.

upload_2018-12-13_11-6-15.png

OP
OP
CMO

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the idea.

I've contemplated this but my concern is that even with the staggering there is a risk of overlapping doses if the stagger intervals coincides with the dose interval. So with the below dosing schedule for example, I would need to make sure my stagger time is towards the middle of the dose interval time I believe, otherwise the second dose of the first solution could dose at the exact same time (if i set the stagger to 17 minutes for example) as the first dose of the second solution starting 17 minutes later and so on.

But then every time the dose amount changes so does the dosing interval and thus the required time of the stagger potentially. Am I thinking of this right?

upload_2018-12-13_10-48-55-png.916385

I'm contemplating the below schedule which would 100% prevent any simultaneous dosing and ensure gaps between solutions. By reducing the amount of intervals and expanding time of them this would cut my intervals by half and provide alk dosing every 3 hours which should be just fine. I just realized that by reordering the supplements that you can reduce the gap between alk dosing. I was dosing in order previously which groups the alk supplements and creates a larger time gap between alk dosing.

upload_2018-12-13_11-23-37.png

Last edited:

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Um, I might be losing something in translation so please bear with me. I’ve only used the easy setup Fusion controls and am not familiar with the one you have pasted. (May I ask what controller this is from?) But if I am reading this right you have your doses split up by 80 equal doses. Each dose equals .5 ml. with a pump speed of 7 ml/min. So

7 (ml/min) divided by 60 (sec) = .11666 ml/sec.

.5 (ml/dose) divided by .11666 (ml/sec) = 4.285 sec of dosing pump run time per dose.

(I just started drinking my first cup of coffee so check my math)

I know on mine, running only 12 ml/day, whenever it doses it’s only about a second at most. So, I think this approximately 4 seconds sounds right. If it is, I would think that simultaneous dosing would be unlikely to occur.

I am curious, is there a reason why we should be staggering the doses?

OP
OP
CMO

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Um, I might be losing something in translation so please bear with me. I’ve only used the easy setup Fusion controls and am not familiar with the one you have pasted. (May I ask what controller this is from?) But if I am reading this right you have your doses split up by 80 equal doses. Each dose equals .5 ml. with a pump speed of 7 ml/min. So

7 (ml/min) divided by 60 (sec) = .11666 ml/sec.

.5 (ml/dose) divided by .11666 (ml/sec) = 4.285 sec of dosing pump run time per dose.

(I just started drinking my first cup of coffee so check my math)

I know on mine, running only 12 ml/day, whenever it doses it’s only about a second at most. So, I think this approximately 4 seconds sounds right. If it is, I would think that simultaneous dosing would be unlikely to occur.

I am curious, is there a reason why we should be staggering the doses?

The first is detail from the interval summary shown below (the last is just an excel table I made). And yes, I concur with that math. They should not be dosed together or within 5 mins per Triton to avoid precipitation from the solutions interacting with one another. Mix a few drop of the solutions in a separate container and you will see why this shouldn't be done. So while yes, the run time is very short and simultaneous dosing is unlikely, the possibility remains if the wrong stagger is used (or more likely just the rest period would be impacted). I may just be too paranoid here, but when it comes to things like dosing that can take down a tank I don't like any room for error. Also, if the solutions are partially precipitating due to simultaneous dosing or too close of proximity to one another the required dose may be much higher than it otherwise would be.

upload_2018-12-13_13-17-38.png

Breadman03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got you. It's a little complex to set up, but makes it super easy to adjust the dosing as you go. Note that I set up the quotes so that each quote is labeled with my outlet names. For outlets Triton2, Triton3A, and Triton3B, just change the Triton1 code to call the matching TriTimX timer.
Triton1 said:
Fallback OFF
Set OFF Keeps pumps off unless specified to run
If Output TritTim_1 = ON Then PF7-Core7 Since this is the pump head for part 1, it will only be on when the timer for part 1 is on. Change this according ot which part you are dosing.
If ATOE OPEN Then OFF Hmmm, my emergency float is open. Something isn't right, so don't dose.
If pH > 8.90 Then OFF Same, but pH.
If pH < 7.50 Then OFF
If DTemp > 86.0 Then OFF Strange temp? Hold up!
If DTemp < 65.0 Then OFF
If Time 22:00 to 11:59 Then OFF Easy math here. Dosing is turned off for 14 hours per day, thus allowing 10 hours for dosing. This allows for easy math when converting the daily dose into the dose profile. Just bump the decimal point over.
If Output Blueline_1_2 = OFF Then OFF Return pump off? Don't dose.
TritTim1 said:
Fallback OFF
Set OFF Again, off by default.
OSC 000:00/001:00/059:00 Then ON Here is where the 5 minute offsets happen. This allows part 1 to dose in the first minute of the hour only.
TritTim2 said:
Fallback OFF
Set OFF
OSC 010:00/001:00/049:00 Then ON 11th minute of the hour only.
TritTim3A said:
Fallback OFF
Set OFF
OSC 020:00/001:00/039:00 Then ON 21st minute of the hour only.
TritTim3B said:
Fallback OFF
Set OFF
OSC 030:00/001:00/029:00 Then ON 31st minute of the hour only.
Core7 Dosing Profile said:
Name-PF7-Core7
Type-Dose
Dose Rate-7ml/min Pumping slowly to minimize risk of precipitation.
Pump Direction-Forward Set according to how the pump head is plumbed.
Per dose amount-VARIABLE AND SET TO 1/10TH OF YOUR DAILY TOTAL
Dose Interval-120 second Allows plenty of time for the dose to occur.
Dose Count-1

OP
OP
CMO

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got you. It's a little complex to set up, but makes it super easy to adjust the dosing as you go. Note that I set up the quotes so that each quote is labeled with my outlet names. For outlets Triton2, Triton3A, and Triton3B, just change the Triton1 code to call the matching TriTimX timer.

Now that is quite complicated but I see what's going on. I'll think about it more and see if I get the courage to give it a try. It makes me nervous using complex code with something like dosing that can nuke a tank with a mess up.

But this is exactly what I was trying to figure out so thank you very much for sharing!!

Last edited:

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info on staggering the dosages. (Must have missed that detail) I noticed the precipitation when I was dosing into a low flow area but not in the high flow area. I'll go back and stagger my dosing times anyway just to be safe.

OP
OP
CMO

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

When using this code can you see the scheduled dosing visually on the chart or only the small graph after the dose is complete? Thanks

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ooo I have been looking for this as well

When someone gets the kahones to put this in let me know if it works

I have mine go directly into my return pump so hopefully that high flow doesn’t precipitate to much as I just checked and they dose within seconds of each other been running it this way for awhile tho
C033F8E4-2CC5-4CD2-B9FB-7C4E27E7B350.png

OP
OP
CMO

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is what I went with so I can have visual confirmation of scheduled doses and see the gaps. Results in about 30 doses of each solution per day with alk dosing every 3.5 hours by switching the order to 1, 3a, 2, 3b.

upload_2018-12-15_9-49-17.png

upload_2018-12-15_9-49-40.png

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is what I went with so I can have visual confirmation of scheduled doses and see the gaps. Results in about 30 doses of each solution per day with alk dosing every 3.5 hours by switching the order to 1, 3a, 2, 3b.

upload_2018-12-15_9-49-17.png

upload_2018-12-15_9-49-40.png
So would that mean you dose 23 ml in each of those blocks? So you dose 46ml a day?

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is your tank that’s a lot of fluid to dose

What I don’t like about that is when your consumption goes up you then have to change two dosing intervals

OP
OP
CMO

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is your tank that’s a lot of fluid to dose

What I don’t like about that is when your consumption goes up you then have to change two dosing intervals

165g display / 200 gallons total. Yeah it is and most of my SPS is still in frag / small colony stage so I'm a little frightened for what the dose is going to be like when the tank is fully matured.

Prior to the above change I was having to update 16 intervals which I've got down to 8 now (2 intervals x 4 solutions). I've been needing to update the dose about every 2-3 days to maintain my target alk.

I've also notice running higher PH really increases the dose. I was running PH of 7.9 - 8.1 which increased over the past few weeks to about 8.1-8.3. This increase in PH added another 10 ml of Core 7 required to maintain 8 dkh. But that's all good since it translates to growth which I need right now. Once the corals are grown out I may drop the PH a bit to reduce consumption. I'm running a CO2 scrubber now to keep it higher.

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
165g display / 200 gallons total. Yeah it is and most of my SPS is still in frag / small colony stage so I'm a little frightened for what the dose is going to be like when the tank is fully matured.

Prior to the above change I was having to update 16 intervals which I've got down to 8 now (2 intervals x 4 solutions). I've been needing to update the dose about every 2-3 days to maintain my target alk.

I've also notice running higher PH really increases the dose. I was running PH of 7.9 - 8.1 which increased over the past few weeks to about 8.1-8.3. This increase in PH added another 10 ml of Core 7 required to maintain 8 dkh. But that's all good since it translates to growth which I need right now. Once the corals are grown out I may drop the PH a bit to reduce consumption. I'm running a CO2 scrubber now to keep it higher.
I’m dosing the same as u then I’m 23ml on a 100 gallons

so 1.15 dkh a day is being consumed by our Corals

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 19 15.8%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 52 43.3%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 43 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back