What are your favorite "best Value" LED's?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok, so let me set some criteria for this. What we're looking for are recommendations that would be considered "budget-friendly" (so those of us who use radions, and more expensive lights shouldn't be recommending those in this thread), but that are controllable WITHOUT having to buy an APEX or some other third-party controller. We're looking for lights that have functionality like multi-channel, ramp up/down, scheduling, etc. built into an app (so this would exclude most black boxes, etc. that won't have more than manually adjustment capabilities).

What are your favorite options for functionality/affordability...the best BANG for your BUCK so to speak?

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'll tip my hand and say that one of the first ones that comes to mind are the Noopsyche fixtures. The reviews seem great, and they're very affordable.

35ppt

Large Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll tip my hand and say that one of the first ones that comes to mind are the Noopsyche fixtures. The reviews seem great, and they're very affordable.
How much area of a tank dose one of those cover?

ADAM

@AK_Reefs on Instagram
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve always like the SB Reef Lights design and reviews. The 18” WiFi right now is $230 which seems like a really good price to me if I were looking something with good track record and Wifi connectivity. *I personally have not used them but have seen some stellar tanks in person that utilize them.

lexinverts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ReeFi Duo Extreme. These are on the higher end of budget, but they come with their own web or phone app for control, they are more powerful than Radions, and they have a 3 year warranty. They are on sale now for $650. As someone who has purchased “budget” 200 dollar Ocean Revive fixtures and had to replace them after 2 yrs, I see great value in a 3 yr warranty, as I believe it will save me money long term.

Last edited:

BayouReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just put the RedSea REEFLED90’s on my tank. My tank is 6’ long so I needed 4 of them. I feel they are affordable. They are also pretty mulch plug and play they are controlled by the ReefBeat app. I have seen a noticeable increase in color and growth in my coral. I have had them for almost a month now. At 350.00 each they are a huge savings over most of the other LED lighting options.

Fishurama

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Current Marine Orbit. The lights aren't the greatest, but if you plan on mostly LPS/Softies. You also get a temp probe and PH for 230 bucks for a 4-5 foot light fixture. This newer one even can control all pump/powerheads. Has ramp up, down, scheduling, alarm,etc. Best budget light for beginners or those into LPS/Softy tanks not caring for the best light/trying to break the bank, while also getting all the bells and whistles.

amazon link

Ruben's Reef

Ruben's Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On my own experience I will go with Noopsyche K7. Not only because the affordable price but also for the quality, performance and features it has. I test with a seneye and was around 200 par bottom and 370-390 par at top.

cvrle1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of the black boxes can be controlled via reef-pi. It may not be for everyone, as it is very much DIY project, but it is an option that for some might be very good and budged friendly. :)

Some of the SB Reef lights have features that you listed, however I heard rumor that they went under.
Noopsyche K7 have great reviews but for bigger tanks, not sure if they are cost effective. You would 3-4+ units (depending on what you want to keep)
Reefbreeders Photon V2/V2+ would probably be best bang for the buck for bigger tanks

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A lot of the black boxes can be controlled via reef-pi. It may not be for everyone, as it is very much DIY project, but it is an option that for some might be very good and budged friendly. :)

Some of the SB Reef lights have features that you listed, however I heard rumor that they went under.
Noopsyche K7 have great reviews but for bigger tanks, not sure if they are cost effective. You would 3-4+ units (depending on what you want to keep)
Reefbreeders Photon V2/V2+ would probably be best bang for the buck for bigger tanks
Yeah. I'm thinking stuff that won't need any extra purchases or controllers. I do know a lot of people love the Reef-Pi.
Reefbreeders do a great job from the tanks I've seen, Mars aqua as well.
For sure I know people really like those options. However, I'm not sure about ReefBreeders, but my understanding is that Mars Aqua can't do the scheduling/ramp up/down, right? I'm trying to find some recommendations that are capable of doing those functions without needing extra purchases or third-party stuff.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah. I'm thinking stuff that won't need any extra purchases or controllers. I do know a lot of people love the Reef-Pi.

For sure I know people really like those options. However, I'm not sure about ReefBreeders, but my understanding is that Mars Aqua can't do the scheduling/ramp up/down, right? I'm trying to find some recommendations that are capable of doing those functions.
While expensive I believe the photons can ramp. Honestly, one of the nicest tanks I've seen runs photons. The colors are incredible man.

cvrle1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For sure I know people really like those options. However, I'm not sure about ReefBreeders, but my understanding is that Mars Aqua can't do the scheduling/ramp up/down, right? I'm trying to find some recommendations that are capable of doing those functions without needing extra purchases or third-party stuff.

MA do not have scheduling or ramp up/ramp down.
Viparspectra do have timer for on and off for both channels, but no ramp up/ramp down.
Reefbreeders Photon V2's have great reviews and have all the functions that you mentioned. They are cheap as well, considering for tanks up to 5 foot long, you only need 1 unit.
With that said, i will be using 5 Noopsyche K7 Pro IIs on my tank, but I got a killer of a deal on them. Otherwise i would have gone for Reefbreeder unit.

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always felt that Aquaticlife is one of the best value brands in the industry. Their new Cetus 2 fixtures are 85 wats 8 channel Bluetooth controllable lights for about half the cost of Ai EcoTech or Kessil. They have US customer support that has been excellent in my experience.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 112 87.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back