What are your favorite CUC species?

Literallyhydro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 125 is in desperate need of a solid boost to its clean up crew. The majority of the rocks have a light fuzz on them, even with the Nitrates and Phosphates kept very low. I want to get some input on what I should have, there are just a few hermit crabs laying around in the tank right now, not really any snails..

FugeTown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forget what they are called but those tiny snails that fit inside the holes in the Live rock, I love those things.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trochus snails--if only for the only reason that they flip themselves over if they fall. Also, they can reproduce in your tank, ensuring a steady stream of replacements.

This describes why trochus are my favorites.

I do think that variety is good though. Others in my CUC include two species of conch, cerith snails (mainly the dwarf variety), a few nerites (prolific egg layers but not successful in reproducing), and a few turbo snails. I also have a tuxedo urchin that is very helpful too.

gonzo620

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah look into adding snails for sure. The trochus is going to be a clear winner in the snail department. But really one of the best but controversial member is the bristle worm.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None, zippo, nada. Most die within 12mos

I use carbon dosing to control organics, no3, po4. Carbon dosing superfuels good bacteria

But if I had to pick one, it would be a designer urchin with multicolors

Bkimberlin14

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
-Trochus snails for algae
-Scarlet hermits they’ve gone after everything from left over food to diatoms and algae in my tank
-Conch snails for some sand bed stirring
-Margarita Snails eat all sorts of algae

OP
OP
Literallyhydro

Literallyhydro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the majority of responses are for me to add Trochus snails, any recommendations on how many to add? I’ll also look into the scarlet hermits and conches for the sandbed.

BigJim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 125 is in desperate need of a solid boost to its clean up crew. The majority of the rocks have a light fuzz on them, even with the Nitrates and Phosphates kept very low. I want to get some input on what I should have, there are just a few hermit crabs laying around in the tank right now, not really any snails..

I prefer trochus and Mexican turbo snails, but they do nothing compared to a foxface or tang. My snails seem to spend most of their time on the glass while my foxface keeps the rock clean. I had a desjardini tang that also did a great job, but he had to go because he was a jerk and picked on the other fish contstantly.

OP
OP
Literallyhydro

Literallyhydro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer trochus and Mexican turbo snails, but they do nothing compared to a foxface or tang. My snails seem to spend most of their time on the glass while my foxface keeps the rock clean. I had a desjardini tang that also did a great job, but he had to go because he was a jerk and picked on the other fish contstantly.

I have a Foxface and Hippo Tang in the tank, sadly they just aren’t doing their job, maybe I spoil them with Nori

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a 125? I" think" just a few at a time. Maybe 5 at a time? A week later, add 5 more. You don't want to add too many at once.. I hope You have a source near by. If You have to order this can get pricey.
It all depends on a food source.

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be sure if you have any unglued frags anywhere in the tank that Snails will run them over and large hermits will simply flip them as they see fit.

I constantly rotate my snails as they get too big because they are brutes and careless!

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Whats the concensus on nassarious snails (not sure if i spelled that right)? I have a couple trochus and a few dawf ceriths that are doing well. I need to beef up my CUC as well...

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats the concensus on nassarious snails (not sure if i spelled that right)? I have a couple trochus and a few dawf ceriths that are doing well. I need to beef up my CUC as well...

Nessa's are great for politely keeping your sand stirred up and clean under the top layer. You will barely see them most of the time during the day, as they burrow around just under the surface. Great sand maintainers!

OP
OP
Literallyhydro

Literallyhydro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a 125? I" think" just a few at a time. Maybe 5 at a time? A week later, add 5 more. You don't want to add too many at once.. I hope You have a source near by. If You have to order this can get pricey.
It all depends on a food source.

Luckily I have a handful of LFS. I’ll take your advice to add 5 at a time until they seem to be managing the algae well.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back