What are your thoughts on Purigen / Chemipure? Do you think it is a must-have in a nano tank?

Is purigen / chemipure is a must-have in nano tank?

• Yes

Votes: 9 28.1%
  • No

Votes: 23 71.9%

• Total voters

sotoreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS pushing hard the idea to use purigen. Experienced nano reefer kindly share your thoughts on this?

Is it a must-have in nano tank? Do you think it is better to use it? Does it has any cons?

KK's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a must have if you're going to feed heavy - pellets or frozen twice a day, dose phyto, dose amino, etc.

When I was feeding once a day, I struggled to keep PO4 above 0.00 with the Chermi-Pure Blue in. I took it out and PO4 started to register.

Conversely, once my PO4 got to above .20, I put the Chemi-Pure back in and was able to keep it in check.

OP
OP
sotoreef

sotoreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a must have if you're going to feed heavy - pellets or frozen twice a day, dose phyto, dose amino, etc.

When I was feeding once a day, I struggled to keep PO4 above 0.00 with the Chermi-Pure Blue in. I took it out and PO4 started to register.

Conversely, once my PO4 got to above .20, I put the Chemi-Pure back in and was able to keep it in check.
Is there a chance that the chemipure or purigen might induce dino since it can reduce no3/po4 to 0?

Jeffbear

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running filter floss, 2 nano bags of Chemipure Blue, Purigen, and a tablespoon of Phosguard. Along with 3 cubes of Xport. I just took the Phosguard out as my phos went from .25 to 0.0 (oops) in 2 weeks after adding it. I don't think the Chemipure or Purigen have been detrimental.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS pushing hard the idea to use purigen. Experienced nano reefer kindly share your thoughts on this?

Is it a must-have in nano tank? Do you think it is better to use it? Does it has any cons?

No… I used it as a beginner but quit years ago with no difference. I just don’t have to spend money on that crap now or recharge it

If you want to run carbon… you can just buy your own media bag and rox carbon and save yourself money on the overprice chemi pure. Then you can change it more often and it’s even more effective.

Good healthy coral growth and water changes are all you really need.

KK's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a chance that the chemipure or purigen might induce dino since it can reduce no3/po4 to 0?

It can. When I had it in, I tested PO4 at 0.00 for maybe 3 to 4 weeks straight. No cyano or dyno for me, but I started to see more algae on the rocks and sand.

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ask yourself the question "What am I trying to correct?" when it comes to any of these products. If there's nothing specifically wrong, then you really don't need to add any.

As Tamberav alluded to, the fact is that a nano reef aquarium that is properly set up and stocked can be run very simply, and for a very long time, with just regular water changes and consistent good husbandry.

kiswanson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely not a must have, but a useful tool to help remove impurities and keep nutrients in a good spot. You can use other things to achieve the same goal if you want. I use Chemipure elite in my 45 gallon and Chemipure blue nano in my 3.8 gallon Pico tank.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It, like other organic binders, may be very beneficial, but certainly is not "required".

Timbo13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use 2 bags of the chemipure blue nano (change out monthly) in a chamber 1 inTank basket in my Evo 13.5 For a while I only used carbon and noticed the green algae came back quicker on the glass. Didn't really notice it having a big effect on nitrate/phosphate, but in saying that I don't check those parameters often and only really check alkalinity on my tank. I guess you can get away with consistent water changers to keep your parameters in check.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just started this 18" cubed nano a few days ago. I use a small amount of Rox carbon.
Gfo will be used if po4 gets above .1.

I have always run small amounts of carbon in all my systems.

20220131_141907.jpg

Sshannon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I accidentally put in chemistry for a 50 gallon volume in a 16 gallon biocube. It stripped nutrients so quickly. In 3 days my xenia turned silver Grey and died

Pkunk35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

personally I do run a tablespoon of carbon for water clarity and hopefully some dissolved organics (I run no skimmer).

Purigen/chemipure being a must have for nano or any tank is a ridiculous idea so I vote NO, but I agree that chemipure elite (has small amounts of gfo and carbon) can be helpful for nanos that have a very high nutrient input, I ran a 20g that I ran chemipure in 24-7 to reduce phosphates to an acceptable level with the amount I was feeding it (this tank I stopped water changing and it was 7 years old, so lots of nutrient buildup), so I think with the right application they can be helpful in balancing a tank but quite costly as well and yet another thing to monitor/consume/replace.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back