What ATO and AWC do you use?

SeabrookZoo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am curious to see what everyone is using for an ATO and AWC on their system. I have only used the Tunze Osmolator and have no experience with any other systems. I have been looking at the Neptune ATK with the DOS as I have an apex, the Genesis Renew with Storm and the SpectraPure Litermeter III with the Ultra Precise ATO. I have a large system, 375g DT and roughly 400g sump. Is any one system better than the other? Or is there a mix and match option that works best. Folks out there with the larger systems what do you use? Look forward to see what everyone uses and any advise would be greatly appreciated!

Gernader

Reefing is a never-ending addiction...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I use Tunze 3155 for ATO! I’m not using an AWC system, but I heard Neptune is one of the good systems to use.

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the Tunze Osmolator for ATO and a GHL Maxi as a stand alone AWC. Love them both. By adding and removing water at the same time with the maxi, it doesn't affect the ATO at all. BUT, since you're already using an APEX, I'd probably go with the DOS for AWC.

schuby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Neptune ATK v1 and DOS for AWC. Only issue with ATK was optical sensors failed after about 6 months. Changed both to v2 sensors (superior seal) and haven't had issues for more than a year. FMK occasionally needs to be hard-reset (remove all power for 10 seconds) if it goes offline (maybe a few times a year).

DOS works terrific changing 2 gallons a day. Have the schedules staggered so they don't run at the same time, resulting in half the noise-level. Only issue is the tubing has to be reseated every 4-6 months where it connects to the DOS. I do it every few months as preventative maintenance.

On Neptune Fusion, I can check that both ATK and AWC are running correctly. I visually check the entire system daily when feeding. I have much greater peace-of-mind with this 2nd tank than my first tank which had no controller or automation and used a power-strip to turn pumps on and off for feeding/maintenance.

vangvace

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tunze 3155 is the gold standard. I use it as a backup/holiday expansion to my gravity ato.

For AWC I would use GHL since I am in the ecosystem. For you, the DOS with Apex would suit you well.

Vette67

Reefing since 1997
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use an Endress and Hauser single input controller with 4 relays on my 180. The input to the controller comes from a hydrostatic level sensor, which transmits the level of my sump to within .01 inch. I have a .35 inch deadband on my controller, with a set point of 16.90 inch. So when my water level gets down to 16.90 inch, the controller energizes an ice cube relay that opens my water solenoid and energizes my booster pump. The pump and solenoid stay open / on until the water level reaches 17.25 inch, and then shuts off. I have had this system dumping directly into my sump for over 20 years and it has not failed yet. But I have 2 of the other relays on the controller set up for high and low levels, and directly wired into a piezo buzzer so that if my sump goes over 17.5 inch or below 16.75 inch, I will get an audible (annoyingly so) alarm. I have had a couple of leaks over the years that have triggered the low level alarm, but have never triggered the high level alarm (without shutting off a pump or 2). I vote for industrial automation technology.
IMG_6228[1].JPG

This is the hydrostatic level sensor. It is the blue device towards the left side, circled in red. It is just plumbed into the bottom of my sump through a 3/4 inch bulkhead. It has a pressure sensitive membrane in it that measures the height of the water column.
IMG_E6230[1].JPG

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have an AWC system but I'll throw in another vote for thr Tunze osmolator, definitely the best one to use.

techdef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My AWC swapped from DOS to Ecotech Versas about a month ago. Much finer control (better calibration) and dead silent unlike DOS if you're doing any volume. Versa changes about 3 gpd without a whisper.

OP
OP
S

SeabrookZoo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the feedback!! Seems like the Osmolator is still rocking it. Keep them coming!

OP
OP
S

SeabrookZoo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Neptune ATK v1 and DOS for AWC. Only issue with ATK was optical sensors failed after about 6 months. Changed both to v2 sensors (superior seal) and haven't had issues for more than a year. FMK occasionally needs to be hard-reset (remove all power for 10 seconds) if it goes offline (maybe a few times a year).

DOS works terrific changing 2 gallons a day. Have the schedules staggered so they don't run at the same time, resulting in half the noise-level. Only issue is the tubing has to be reseated every 4-6 months where it connects to the DOS. I do it every few months as preventative maintenance.

On Neptune Fusion, I can check that both ATK and AWC are running correctly. I visually check the entire system daily when feeding. I have much greater peace-of-mind with this 2nd tank than my first tank which had no controller or automation and used a power-strip to turn pumps on and off for feeding/maintenance.

I haven’t used the DOS or seen them in person, are they as loud as they say?

OP
OP
S

SeabrookZoo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use an Endress and Hauser single input controller with 4 relays on my 180. The input to the controller comes from a hydrostatic level sensor, which transmits the level of my sump to within .01 inch. I have a .35 inch deadband on my controller, with a set point of 16.90 inch. So when my water level gets down to 16.90 inch, the controller energizes an ice cube relay that opens my water solenoid and energizes my booster pump. The pump and solenoid stay open / on until the water level reaches 17.25 inch, and then shuts off. I have had this system dumping directly into my sump for over 20 years and it has not failed yet. But I have 2 of the other relays on the controller set up for high and low levels, and directly wired into a piezo buzzer so that if my sump goes over 17.5 inch or below 16.75 inch, I will get an audible (annoyingly so) alarm. I have had a couple of leaks over the years that have triggered the low level alarm, but have never triggered the high level alarm (without shutting off a pump or 2). I vote for industrial automation technology.
IMG_6228[1].JPG

This is the hydrostatic level sensor. It is the blue device towards the left side, circled in red. It is just plumbed into the bottom of my sump through a 3/4 inch bulkhead. It has a pressure sensitive membrane in it that measures the height of the water column.
IMG_E6230[1].JPG

Man that’s a setup. Maybe outside of my skill level right now lol!

OP
OP
S

SeabrookZoo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My AWC swapped from DOS to Ecotech Versas about a month ago. Much finer control (better calibration) and dead silent unlike DOS if you're doing any volume. Versa changes about 3 gpd without a whisper.

I like the Ecotech products, but I’m still not sold on Mobius.

OP
OP
S

SeabrookZoo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Are the DOS that loud? I’m thinking I’ll be exchanging about 5 gallons a day.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 150 75.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 16 8.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 29 14.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back