What, blue versus white, lighting combo gives the best coral growth?

What percentage of blue versus white lighting do you think makes the best coral growth combo?

• All Blue

Votes: 26 3.3%
  • Mostly Blue

Votes: 487 61.4%
  • Even Balance

Votes: 207 26.1%
  • Mostly White

Votes: 58 7.3%
  • All White

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 13 1.6%

• Total voters

AlexandraDreadlocksPanda

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not as simple as Blue vs. White. White light is made up of all the color spectrums that include the blue spectrum. Generally speaking, the most beneficial light for corals and their zooxanthella is light in the violet to blue green portion of the spectrum (that includes blue) and a little in the red orange to red spectrum. These colors are at each end of the visible light spectrum. Corals really don't use much of the yellow and green in the middle of the spectrum. Unfortunately, there is normally a lot of those in standard white lighting. It may be that the benefit of using white light is just to replace the red spectrum that is missing from blue lights.
To clarify a little, those parts is the spectrum *can* be utilised by zooxanthellae, but it doesn’t mean they are both necessary…. Photosynthesis can carry along quite happily just under one section, so it make sense to exploit the biggest section of wavelength that is useful, the uv & blue section. Red, yellow and green light will help nuisance algae’s….

AlexandraDreadlocksPanda

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think far more important (within reason) than the actual spectral output is uniform distribution of correct par, and correctly acclimatising corals to the new conditions. Also having flow and nutrients appropriate to light levels…

I run virtually all blue/ uv, on my RSR525xl I have:
5 x Orphek OR3 150 RB+
2 x Orphek OR3 60 RB+
2 x Orphek OR3 60 UV
1 x Fluval Sea Marine 3 (just for a touch of white so fish don’t look washed out!)

Frag tank is 2 x RB+ 1xUV Chinese bars.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like everything else in reef systems, what matters are the specific requirements of a species in question. There is no "ideal" spectrum/intensity combination.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 127 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.4%
Back