Which reef lights do you recommend ?

aquakj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys so I’m thinking about your upgrading my lighting on my Red Sea Reefer 350 G2 keeping mainly LPS and Softies but I am wetting my feet with some beginner sps however I am currently running 2 Kessil A160s and we’ll I don’t think I have to explain much about them I’m sure you guys know lol but if you don’t, I can’t really set them to a certain percentage, can’t program them to white at a certain time and blue at another time basically can’t do nothing with those lights lol , I literally had to buy a smart plug to make them turn on and off at certain times point is they are just not practical , so any suggestions on upgrades ??? my LFS is suggesting Red Sea 90 W since my whole tank is Red Sea as well as my equipment but im willing to hear other suggestions since lighting is probably one of the most important things for coral

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would agree with this! :) That's a good solution.

You can adjust the spectrum and power on the Kessils no bother- from whites to blues? Just turn the knob.. Although, if you're a man of numbers- then I see your issue! :) Alternatively, add a "Spectral" controller - and problem solved.

Reef lighting is like a religion and you're likely to get more opinions than you can count in this post to be prepared. It has to match your expectations and budget.

I am running 3 x Radion XR15 G6 on my 4 foot tank. Works a treat.

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m running 4 ReeFi Uno gen 1 (Soon to be 3 gen 1 + 2 gen 2) over my 6ft main system.
And 2 ReeFi Uno 2.0 Pro over my ~4ft frag tank.
Both are SPS dominant, and they grow corals like weeds.

That being said - I join others in saying that you don’t really need to replace your current lighting, you can upgrade your Kessils with a controller for ramping and time control, and if it isn’t enough coverage you can easily supplement if with a couple of bars.

My personal opinion on the ReefLed 90 is they are underpowered with a very narrow heavy blue spectrum with no real configuration options. I know many that weren’t satisfied at all with this choice.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apart from your opinion on controllability, I can't seem to see from your post what kind of issues you actually have making you want to splash 100 if not 1000s if dollars on new lights :cool:

What's your main issues apart from practicality? What sort of advise are you looking for?

What you're getting now is mainly opinions based on preferences :upside-down-face:

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spectral controller will fix your control issues (at least this one....lol) as others have said. I also vote for 2 blades, for me id go grows should look great and grow coral well.

OP
OP
A

aquakj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apart from your opinion on controllability, I can't seem to see from your post what kind of issues you actually have making you want to splash 100 if not 1000s if dollars on new lights :cool:

What's your main issues apart from practicality? What sort of advise are you looking for?

What you're getting now is mainly opinions based on preferences :upside-down-face:
Lol yea maybe I just wanna spend hehe no but I’m glad to hear that the kessils are fine and I could just add to them as opposed to replacing them, I guess then my question or research should be on how to run the kessils for best outcome of coral health

OP
OP
A

aquakj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m running 4 ReeFi Uno gen 1 (Soon to be 3 gen 1 + 2 gen 2) over my 6ft main system.
And 2 ReeFi Uno 2.0 Pro over my ~4ft frag tank.
Both are SPS dominant, and they grow corals like weeds.

That being said - I join others in saying that you don’t really need to replace your current lighting, you can upgrade your Kessils with a controller for ramping and time control, and if it isn’t enough coverage you can easily supplement if with a couple of bars.

My personal opinion on the ReefLed 90 is they are underpowered with a very narrow heavy blue spectrum with no real configuration options. I know many that weren’t satisfied at all with this choice.
I did also hear this about the Red Sea lights

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey guys so I’m thinking about your upgrading my lighting on my Red Sea Reefer 350 G2 keeping mainly LPS and Softies but I am wetting my feet with some beginner sps however I am currently running 2 Kessil A160s and we’ll I don’t think I have to explain much about them I’m sure you guys know lol but if you don’t, I can’t really set them to a certain percentage, can’t program them to white at a certain time and blue at another time basically can’t do nothing with those lights lol , I literally had to buy a smart plug to make them turn on and off at certain times point is they are just not practical , so any suggestions on upgrades ??? my LFS is suggesting Red Sea 90 W since my whole tank is Red Sea as well as my equipment but im willing to hear other suggestions since lighting is probably one of the most important things for coral
radions. I don't know how that would fit in your tank - but thats my recommendation

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well if you just want to get away from your Kessil's for what ever reason and have an itch for new lighting. I would go with a couple radions. They will give a great pop for your LPS and of course your Sps as well.

Another option would be to get the Orphek Osix. This option is very flexible as you can start with enough OR3's for just LPS, and when you are ready for sps you can add a few more OR3's. Of course you can always get all the OR3s fixtures up front as well and take advantage of the bundle.

Very cost effective way for lighting on that tank and probably your best bang for the buck is the OSIx.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 103 57.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.7%
Back