What Brand Of Rock Cement Do You Like & Why ?

OP
OP
427HISS

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
$42 for 5 lbs. What size bucket is it ?

I'm a big fan of E-marco cement. I've also tried aquaforest and it dries way to fast and is very hard to work with. E- marco you have a little more time and it's Much stronger in my opinion. I also like the lighter color compare to aquaforest which is very dark brown.

OP
OP
427HISS

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You said, ''I'm a big fan of E-marco cement'', so I went to their website and it was $42.00 for 5 lbs. So I'm trying to visualize what size bucket it is, like 1/2 gallon, 1 gallon, 5 gallon etc.

wesman42

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the same cement and it cracked, collapsed my rockwork, and eventually just completely disintegrated. It's now mixed in with my sand because it's in a million pieces.

Didn't mix it improperly, didn't apply it improperly...it just fell apart in 6 months.

griseus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You said, ''I'm a big fan of E-marco cement'', so I went to their website and it was $42.00 for 5 lbs. So I'm trying to visualize what size bucket it is, like 1/2 gallon, 1 gallon, 5 gallon etc.

It says 1 gallon on the bottom of the bucket.

Oldsalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have a lot of old ocean rock from 5-15 years old. Are there any brands of glue/cement or epoxy that can work with wet or even under water ?

Like I said above, I have a lot of the dry white rock that would be a load of fun to create a great rockscape, but my seasoned live rock would be great in our new 125g in-wall mixed reef. So, I'm perplexed......on which to use ? I'm sure it will be the live, so I'm thinking of ways to clue/epoxy them together and create the effects I could with dry rock. I also have a 93g rimless tank that I'd like to house a Clown Fish harem, that I could use the white with some live to seed it.

But, I have bad health, so I don't know about another main display. Because when I finish the fish room behind the in-wall, I'll have my two 29g tanks as fish and coral QT's and a 14g hospital tank. So that's added time.

Anyway, any ideas or advise on scapping with the live rock and the cube tank ?
Yes you can use 2 part epoxy putty that turns almost white when hard. It will cure under water. There are various cure times available but cure time always dependant upon temperature. If you're kneading the two parts and it starts to heat up, you better hurry and get those rocks together (plan ahead - angle, fit etc.) with the putty in-between. If it starts becoming hard to knead, start again. Within an hour it's hard as stone and white to off white color that becomes as inconspicuous as the rock as it ages. This putty is also available outside of the aquarium industry - I get mine from auto repair or even hobby shops. I pay less than 60% for the same amount. Shop around. I can provide brand names (Devcon is one and Bob Smith Industries - very hobby oriented - is another in the USA) but look on the net as there are so many other brand names out there.

OP
OP
427HISS

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I checked into Bob Smith Industries yesterday and will do the same with Devcon today. When you have time, please post others.
Thank you.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If using quikrete, are you concerned about being acidic ?

so from my research in to this it's all about the cure time and amount you use. if you use a small amount in a large volume of water it might not be a big deal but if you use quite alot in a med to small amount of water then yes your PH will be to high.

if you are using dry rock like reefer saver/stax/macro etc. this might be the cheapest way to go, if you have time to cure it for a few weeks min. 30 days would be better out of DT but in water. add heat and simple flow I hear speeds this up. ppl use tap water changed often. if it a small about like 20 gal might just want to use RO water. and test PH.

for 'gluing" rock together I dont see one using to much cement but know that it could be as issue.

now if you are using LR like real reef rock and other LR the purple E-marco cement might be the way to go?
or like ppl have posted acrylic rods or the 2 part puddy.

I have been thinking alot about this as I need to get my scape done I have 80% purple real reef rocks and 20% reef saver both are LR been and in other tanks.
so the use of normal cement does not work fr me ( altho I might try my hand at making DIY rock again ) so its drill and rods with expocy or the purple cement.

just some thoughts...

Oldsalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20190227_143053.jpg
20190227_143114.jpg
I checked into Bob Smith Industries yesterday and will do the same with Devcon today. When you have time, please post others.
Thank you.
Here are 2 other brands. Sika and Selleys
Not sure if the latter available in the USA but Sika should be. I moved to Australia so I just go to my local hobby shop and they always have the same brands that I first mentioned - Devcon and Bob Smith Industries. Also I find them in auto repair/parts stores (under various trade names probably because of title copyright but they are actually the same company under a different name down under - eg - Burger King is called Hungry Jack's here!).

I'm attaching photos of the two I have mentioned here - Sika and Selleys
Don't be put off if they are under "paint fillers" category. They are all reef safe (unless they contain powdered metals - read the labels and ask if unsure) because epoxies are inert when cured and highly unlikely to leech into water while curing. I don't like using CA (super glue ) because it is toxic (CyanoAcrylate) and the use of its accelerant/curing spray (Aromatic Esther) is quite toxic to humans. I'd hate to think what it could do to fish. CA also breaks down in water, contrary to popular belief. I know this because I'm also an avid radio controlled aircraft builder/pilot and enthusiast. I always wear masks when using it. I've seen what water does to even the most resistant ones. It starts to peel and flake off.

I find the Selleys Aqua to be the best but Sika also very good. None of the 4 ones that I mentioned contain metal powders. Only ones that say "reinforced" or "for high temperature applications" may have metals. I steer well away from them.

Last edited:

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@427HISS I just placed an order for e marco pink cement from BRS. I spend the better part of yesterday looking in to all the options.
and for my needs I think is was the most cost effective way to scape a RS reefer 750.

should get to me around the 5th or so of march. i'll do a full review on my build thread and you can see how it goes and if I like it.
teton mountain build thread in the large tank section...

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ks2509

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used nyos cement in my new build worked great. Just have to work in small batches it starts to set in under 2 min.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 149 40.3%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 189 51.1%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 32 8.6%
Back