What burns your gills? Reef peeves?

EMeyer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pets peeves threads are one of my favorites.

• Frags 'cut to order'. This is like advertising in May "I'm about to plant some tomato plants, who wants to buy a tomato?"
  • Per-polyp pricing. You don't buy a polyp, you buy a frag. No, I dont want to spend 4 times as much for a frag just because it has a few more polyps, thats ridiculous. This is like selling tomato plants priced by the leaf.
  • Buyers who take a poorly focused picture of a coral under white lights and complain that it doesnt look like the properly focused and filtered image of the same coral under blues.
  • People who claim to have a lineage for their coral. No, my friend, you have a coral and some rumors. Its hysterical that 4th hand stories about the origin of a coral are considered meaningful and used to justify crazy price tags. I believe PT Barnum had something to say about this one.

Kris 2020

Super Active Excellent Well Known Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya know what steams my clams?

When a noobie posts for advice, and he/she doesn't get the answer they want, they argue, even with 50 other members tell them the same thing.
Uh yeah. Big pet peeve. “This is what I want to do so someone tell me it’s ok and I’ll just ignore everyone else”. Or buying livestock they haven’t researched and know nothing about then asking “how do I take care of this”.

Kris 2020

Super Active Excellent Well Known Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

• Frags 'cut to order'. This is like advertising in May "I'm about to plant some tomato plants, who wants to buy a tomato?"
  • Per-polyp pricing. You don't buy a polyp, you buy a frag. No, I dont want to spend 4 times as much for a frag just because it has a few more polyps, thats ridiculous. This is like selling tomato plants priced by the leaf.
  • Buyers who take a poorly focused picture of a coral under white lights and complain that it doesnt look like the properly focused and filtered image of the same coral under blues.
  • People who claim to have a lineage for their coral. No, my friend, you have a coral and some rumors. Its hysterical that 4th hand stories about the origin of a coral are considered meaningful and used to justify crazy price tags. I believe PT Barnum had something to say about this one.
Like the tomato plant comparison! You funny.

ErehwoN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Box fees. I would send them back at my own expense if I could avoid throwing them away. When I ask a vendor about it they say, "we can't reuse it, it's contaminated." Really? what the heck?

Coupled with:
The absurd use of plastics in a hobby that mimics the ocean, which is being ruined by them. Plastic is necessary and has its place, but it seems EVERYWHERE when I get new livestock.

Jim

OP
OP
oceans garden aquaculture

oceans garden aquaculture

Oceans garden aquaculture
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When the kid at the LFS questions what you are doing with livestock, inverts, equipment etc. when you’ve had reef tanks longer than he/she have been alive.......
Dude... I worked for ORA for years and have owned a retail store. When I go into Petco for some toys for my awesome little hairless rat I always peep the fish. I cringe so hard when the kid walks up and says.. Those are for saltwaterfish tanks only... a small piece of me dies every time.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I love this one!!

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 53 48.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 60 55.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 25 22.9%
  • None.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 8.3%

Back