What can I expect?

Rikerbear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am planning to redo some of the aquascape today while doing my weekly water change. I need to get better clearance around the three sides of the tank.
My question is, will disturbing the sand bed under the rock, and disturbing the rock itself cause any problems?
The tank is only 2 months old and is currently running great. All parameters are where they should be and all the critters seem happy, healthy, and well fed.
I am not planning to remove any of the rock or sand as I would not want to alter the bio filter....if I do need to remove any rock I will try and make sure it's as little as possible.
I am about 4 hours away from starting this (still waiting for the new SW to mix)
Any advise or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Russellaqua

Coral Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you'll be fine. Because your tank is only 2 months old you probably don't have a lot of built up stuff in your sand bed in dead spaces that could cause problems when disturbed. They're really only a problem in older tanks and if the sand bed is never mechanically turned, either by you or sand-sifting inhabitants. You'll invariably have cloudy water for a bit just from moving some things around, but it will clear. It will irritate corals and fish some, but as long as it isn't cloudy for a long time (days) you'll be fine there too.

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think you'll have any major issues. I used to change my aquascape around every 2-3 months when I first setup my tank. I checked the parameters for a few days after the rearranging and had saltwater on hand to do a water change just in case.

OP
OP
Rikerbear

Rikerbear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! I was hoping this would be the case. The base rocks sitting on the sand will I hope only be slightly moved, most of the rearrange will be on top of them.
I will most certainly have extra SW available just in case I need another water change
Thanks SO much for the quick responses!!
:tongue:

OP
OP
Rikerbear

Rikerbear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it all went well....tank looks MUCH better with all the glass clean again. The slight cloud I created settled pretty quickly. All the corals opened right await after the water cleared.....every one looks happy.
Now in two weeks I have to move the entire tank to another room so the new carpet can be laid.
Yippy
:cry:

Back