What can I mix with Kalkwasser dosing reservoir?

hatrix11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, so I have a 4 part dosing pump that doses calc, alk, mag, and kalkwasser on each. Automation is a wonderful thing and I want to make the most out of it. What I am wondering is in my magnesium reservoir or my kalkwasser reservoir can I also mix in things such as a carbon source (maybe vodka) or Two Little Fishes Acro Power? Is anyone already doing something like this or has anyone tried?

chefjpaul

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, so I have a 4 part dosing pump that doses calc, alk, mag, and kalkwasser on each. Automation is a wonderful thing and I want to make the most out of it. What I am wondering is in my magnesium reservoir or my kalkwasser reservoir can I also mix in things such as a carbon source (maybe vodka) or Two Little Fishes Acro Power? Is anyone already doing something like this or has anyone tried?
I wouldn't think it to be wise for a number of reasons.
Mainly the dosing ratios would all be different, or change in the future as growth continues.

People do add vinegar (carbon source) to kalk to Supersaturate it and increase ph / potency, but the other elements would probably run into a chemical reaction or precipitation of sorts.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can mix a carbon source such as vodka into any of the solutions.

The acropower is probably OK as long as you do not dilute the solutions before dosing (risking bacterial growth), and check first to make sure nothing precipitates when you mix them.

radiata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is Acropower suitable for this? I thought you needed to shake the bottle before manually dosing, or put it on an automatic stirrer before automatically dosing it.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 30.8%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 17 21.8%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 26.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 16 20.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back